OCAU Ryzen Overclocking discussion/ Guide / Owners Thread

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by mAJORD, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Rammoth

Rammoth Member

ASUS cashin us outside again;

PRIME X370-PRO BIOS 0515
    1.Improve system stability.
    2.Enhance memory compatibility
    3.Improve CPU temperature monitor function

About to load and see if the temp offset is finally fixed.

2. Rammoth

Rammoth Member

Ok, so - UEFI seems to report temps correctly now. NEAT. Now to see if it has stopped the hard resets under OC with inaccurate temps at 4ghz issue.

nb. Ryzen Master app still has a high figure for temps. Slowly slowly we get fixes.

3. Bertross

Bertross Member

Anyone mucked around with Asus Crosshair Hero 6 1002?

FOr me its not as good as 0902... I cant get memory to even 2666 now with both non CPU OC or even BCLK overclock.

Currently im at 2400Mhz 4x8 15/16/16/35 T2 @3.8Ghz.

4. MoMaN69

MoMaN69 Member

Hi All,

Joined the Ryzen bandwagon

Currently im at 2,926Mhz 2x8 CPU @3.9Ghz.

Specs:
    Ryzen 1700
    ASUS PRIME B350M-A
    Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz Black

5. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

I'm running it now, memory is running the same for me now as it was on 0902

6. OJR

OJR Member

Same with me. Gerry ur doing it wrong.

7. phantompisser

phantompisser Member

Finally got the last of my parts after a wait of pretty much bang on a month (I pre-ordered ) . I originally ordered the Asrock K4 but after nearly 3 weeks I cancelled that and ordered the Asus x370 Prime . It's very flimsy and cheaply built without an Led error display but it's what I could get at the time . The bios seems very un-intuitive but maybe thats just me . The RGB seems completely pointless but meh .

Just using Ryzen Master I got my 1700 up to 3800@1.35V . At least thats what I set it to but Ryzen master and cpuid are both showing voltages that fluctuate to >1.40 volts . So when you guys are posting your results are you posting set voltage or actual voltage ?
    My temps were hitting 90c with the stock Wraith Spire HSF . I have an evo212+ fom my old build but I don't have an AM4 adapter for it yet . I'll get serious about cranking it up when that's strapped on .

The Kingston HX424C15FB2K2/16 Ram works at 2400/15/15/15/35 . I was quite surprised it just worked first time on the original shipping bios . I did try for 2666@1.2V but that was an instant fail . I'm a bit confused as to where in Ryzen Master that you pump that one up .

8. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Anyone think these CPUs and boards are pretty well behaved compared to there Intel counterparts?

I'm on a B350 board so it lacks a lot of the fancy overclocking stuff but I stuck 1.35v on the core and the highest I've seen it is 1.375v :shock: (Cinebench full load), considering I have no LLC or anything that's better then my 2500K or 3570K which need LLC on extreme and a bunch of other tweaks to be stable.

RAM's playing nice as well, 14-14-14-34 @2400MHz, I haven't tried pushing it more but I may in the coming weeks, waiting on some more BIOS updates first.

Temps haven't been the greatest but my room is pretty hot and I'm on air and I have a 290 air cooled so... basically I have a heater under my desk :lol:.

So far I'm pretty happy with my build although it is a bit ugly at the moment, have yet to put it under stress but I'll be doing that soon enough.

9. MoMaN69

MoMaN69 Member

I think there slightly more fiddly, but easy to setup and get going.

Upping my ram to the 3000mhz and cpu @ 3.9ghz was no hassle at all.

Seems super stable with the air cooler also, been playing wildlands all day.

10. phantompisser

phantompisser Member

That is definitely not why I went AMD .
    Quite frankly the experience has been quite flakey so far but I'm rooting for AMD and really hope they get it together .

11. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Maybe I'm just lucky, I haven't had any serious problems except on a fresh Windows install and that wasn't exactly the hardware I just had to have a specific update installed before it would stop giving me a BSOD.

The only real hardware problems I've had is it hangs for about 30 seconds on the RAM at boot and the PCI-e lane for my GPU says 8x 1.1. The RAM thing I can live with and the PCI-e I think is just reading wrong.

Aside from that my build seems to be fine. I haven't however tried overclocking because my temps hit 90° during Cinebench (70° if we factor in the stupid offset).

12. OP
    OP
    mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Just board teething problems..

uCode updates have already been pushed out for problematic CPU errata. All standard stuff for a new uArch.

13. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

yeah ASUS seem to be the worst at the moment in terms of BIOS/memory support. Seems everyone else is better. Hopefully they pick up their game.

Also hopefully the big update in may helps alot.

14. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Really?

I've had both 32GB and 16GB running 3200Mhz on my Hero pretty easy.

15. OJR

OJR Member

Yup, the C6H is probably one of the better RAM clocking boards out there.

What are you basing that silly comment on itsmydamnation?

16. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

Just general comments across lots of forums/reddit. Where people are either fine or stuck @ 2133/2400. Most of those people stuck @ 2133 seemed to be running ASUS boards. They also seemed to be slower at getting new AGESA updates out ( which could be the very reason for people with slower memory speeds).

Its not that they cant run just as fast, its just that it seems that across a large section of memory chips ASUS seem to have more chips that cant clock as high as there competitors.

Ultimately it will probably just be a time thing and it will all come out in the wash.

I haven't play with zen myself yet, was going to buy several 1700's to replace my esxi boxes, now im waiting to see the price of 12 or 16 core.....lol hopefully its not much more then the price of the 6 core doubled + 20-25% ( so if they did a 12core non x around the 800 to 900 AUD mark).

17. OJR

OJR Member

Not sure what forums you're looking at but check the first post on overclock.net and see what speeds people are getting on the C6H

http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread

There is a good mix of RAM kits there as well.

I'm at 3200 myself.

18. Rammoth

Rammoth Member

Of all the board manufacturers ASUS have been the most prompt with fixes and updates. Gigabyte are still trailing so far behind. :thumbdn:

19. FatBoy

FatBoy Member

Unfortunately this is true

20. Rammoth

Rammoth Member

<tinfoilhat>

The conspiracy theory is that Intel are the root cause of this platforms painfully slow progression via their heavy influence and that ASUS have been the only major player unswayed by their influence.

</tinfoilhat>