OCAU Ryzen Overclocking discussion/ Guide / Owners Thread

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by mAJORD, Mar 3, 2017.

1. TaroT

TaroT Member

I will bet you dollars to donuts the ram is causing your issues.
    I got the flarex after the team extreme stuff sucked and never looked back...never had an issue on the baymax with the 1800x at 4gig and 3200 and as for overclocking these things are a little different than intel so no they will not overclock that much but if you grab a 1700 and get 4 gig out of it that's a BIG overclock so simply get that instead of a 1800x...those chips are really for those folks that want the better4 chip than runs fastest out of the box.

as for power usage it isn't that bad even overclocked. it is not as good as the intel but it is not all that worse and if you look at the hedt chips the intels use insane amounts overclocked.
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/intel-coffee-lake-i7-8700k-cpu,review-34037-12.html
    case in point a 1800x at 4g vs a 8700k with less cores... tsk tsk intel and the temps....ewww

so yeah oh and the msi boards not a fan so many people had so many little issues with them I wrote them off day one.

2. lowdog

lowdog Member

MORE people had MORE problems with Asus.....MSI was a far more stable option than was Asus.

3. TaroT

TaroT Member

sorry the only ever asus board I have had is the baymax....and I never had an issue with that one once you figured out what did what.

anyway depends on who talk to and what sample size I guess.
    all I really know is taichi is 100 per cent stable with 100 per cent of the people in this house using x399 boards and the same for the baymax :p

4. Budginator

Budginator Member

Seem to have finally figured out my cold and warm boot issues with Asrock X370 Taichi.

My Ryzen 1600 seems to love LLC 2 with the SOC's voltage set to 1.1 but LLC5. I still have all power saving settings on, Cool'n'Quiet and C6 ... etc

I'm running Flare-X @ 3200Mhz (its XMP timings). Anything other than the XMP setting (14-14-14-34-48) gives me F9 codes on boot (which it loops through 5 times 'retraining' apparently).

Currently stress testing @ 3875mhz, CPU core voltage set to 1.2 in BIOS and showing 1.175v on all cores running Prime95 in HWiNFO64. CPU temp @ 53c running an X62 Kraken, ambient temp 21c. Hoping for 3.9Ghz still at 1.2v

5. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Went and switched to the "darkside".. Now sporting an AMD Ryzen 1600 on an Asrock B350 Fatal1ty Gaming K4 and 16 Gb Corsair LPX 2666mhz ram 16-18-18-35..

Any particular BIOS settings I should be looking at changing?

6. maestro

maestro Member

Just put together my first AMD system in almost a decade. Ryzen 5 1600 running at 4ghz (1.375v) on an Asus Prime B350-M. Running an AIO water cooler (Cooler Master 240L) keeps it nice and cool (low 70’s max in Prime95, low 50’s under more usual loads).

Couldn’t be happier with the price to performance. Hope that AMD keep it up, if for no other reason than to keep competition in the market.

museumman likes this.
  7. museumman

museumman Member

Got a new system running, gave the Asus B350i Strix the flick after having 2xDOA and one die on me after barely a weeks use. Jumped to a basic MSI B350M Mortar motherboard to tide me over until B450 happens. Just setting up some basic overclocks most Ryzens are good for and doing stabilities etc when I gave RealBench 2.56 a run while I grabbed a cup of Joe and it came up with this anomaly :lol::lol::lol::lol:

[​IMG]

8. echineon

echineon Member

museumman: notice bus clock under CPU clock. Mine sometimes jump to 102mhz

9. museumman

museumman Member

I didnt even notice that. 92 is a bit of a drop isnt it :weirdo: mmmmmm, crusty.

I wonder how that or, if it is that that gave me the whack OpenCL score.

Overall not really impressed in the MSI offering, price-point aside.

10. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Yeah the MSI boards are pretty crappy overall, can't even clock mine and my RAM isn't stable at 3200MHz.

Here's hoping the 400 series of boards will be far better now AMD has proven Ryzen is a winner.

OJR likes this.
  11. museumman

museumman Member

I can overclock to 4050mhz 1.41v and can run ram at 3466 C14 happily but really hate sitting thru the whole cold boot process. They half got it right then went to lunch I think :)

12. echineon

echineon Member

yeah, bought msi mainly because they offer great RMA in sydney (graphic card wise, couple of years ago, no idea about now). I will just wait til April and see if board manufacturer offer any good mATX this time around, this B350M Mortar will go to HTPC with the 2400G.

13. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

so do gigabyte and asus as a fyi.

14. echineon

echineon Member

My experience rma with msi is call up, come in swap within 10 mins on the same day. For mobo and gpu. Hence the post.

15. OJR

OJR Member

Except Asus has the worst after sales customer support "service" on the planet. Luckily their RoG hardware is top notch otherwise they would have nothing.

16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

And for those of us not in Sydney ?
    Its basically eat a bag of dick for 6 to 8 weeks.

museumman likes this.