OCAU Ryzen Overclocking discussion/ Guide / Owners Thread

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by mAJORD, Mar 3, 2017.

1. not4us

not4us Member

that doesn't look to bad sammy_b0i.
    My build is pretty similar to yours except for the RAM. Put it all together last night but haven't had a chance to boot it and start overclocking it.
    I ended up getting the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon after ShoppingExpress eBay stuffed up my order for the Asus Crosshair VI Hero (the let me place the order and turns out they didn't have it in stock an no ETA, go figure).
    So I bought the MSI which is not compatible with my H100i v2 cooler like the Asus was, and right now I've got the AIO in place with zip ties...
    Bloody Corsair won't ship the AM4 bracket outside the USA, even called them to check. Hopefully Scorptec will have it in stock next week so I can fit it properly.
    Can't wait to finish work today and get back home to start tinkering with the Ryzen!

2. TaroT

TaroT Member

well after trying the 1001 bios not a huge fan no performance gained really and a little flaky for me i will hold out for a later revision.

and after panicking about the cooler not making good contact and removing and redoing now the rgb leds don't work :) oh well and back to 0902 and all good except the rgbs which as i researched seems to not only be me...no big loss.

3. itchynads

itchynads Member

I was testing on BIOS 1001 all of last night to the wee hours of the morning and I found it worked best for me in terms of memory clocking.

DOCP Standard profile (3000 - 15,17,17,17,1.35v) worked best for my memory and managed to keep it at 2933MHz.
    CPU at 3.8GHz (38x100).

Tested via Prime95 small FFT for 1h, Blend for 1h and RealBench (30m, 8GB).

I did notice some quirks where it would shutdown and restart during bootup twice. Not sure if its specific to the BIOS version.

Having said that still on air cooling and running the memory at that speed just added even more heat to the CPU :)

Was also using a new 3109 build of HWiNFO that was able to show that I hit a peak of 100W on the CPU.
    http://www.hwinfo.com/beta/hw64_547_3109.zip

Still trying to figure out which temps to believe. I have a feeling Ryzen Master is under reporting compared to HWINFO.

4. TaroT

TaroT Member

so you set standard docp profile then manually did the ram or was it the 3000 preset.
    and yes that version looks a lot more accurate than the slightly earlier one i had.

i had the double boot as well when i was using it...seems it has to set it a few times to get it to load(i thought it was going to safemode me :))

i might give it another go once this storm has gone.(what ram are you using ?)

5. itchynads

itchynads Member

Apparently I may need to toggle the sensemi skew in the BIOS to get accurate temp readings. Will try that later tonight.

I set the DOCP profile preset then set the memory speed to 2933MHz in the drop down a little further down the list. In that order.

HWinfo confirmed the memory speed and timings (@ 1T).

Extra settings that I had set:
    vSOC 1.05v
    LLC Level 3

Using Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) CMK16GX4M2B3000C15. (Hynix modules)

I also have some Corsair 3200C16 Samsung B die modules (2x16GB) that I might try should I get bored :)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  6. Bertross

Bertross Member

7. itchynads

itchynads Member

If anyone with a C6H is getting reboot cycling with high speed RAM...try setting DRAM boot voltage.

I set mine to 1.4v for my Corsair 3000C15 when running at 2933MHz.

8. Bertross

Bertross Member

the worst i had was trying to push my ram to 2933Mhz and the LEDs/Fans would all light up and spin but no Display. Reset Bios and all back at 2666 fine.

Obviously yours is rated at 3000?

9. itchynads

itchynads Member

Yes its 3000C15 rated :) The PC would eventually boot into windows but it would shutdown and restart several times before finally getting through.

10. TaroT

TaroT Member

yeah that 1.4 boot voltage makes sense...not sure i really want to run 1.4 odd through the ram though :) what is the safe limit on run of the mill corsair lpx ram..

now on the rog most are getting good results setting vsoc to 0.95/98 as too high causes issues(above 1.15/2)
    also the DP issue people have one guy fixed it by turning off CSM in the bios...which in a roundabout stupid way makes sense :)

11. lowdog

lowdog Member

DP ?????........CSM ?????........speak English :)

12. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

Yes please - what he said

13. TaroT

TaroT Member

solly no engrish
    DisplayPort

csm
    The Compatibility Support Module (CSM) is a component of the UEFI firmware that provides legacy BIOS compatibility by emulating a BIOS environment, allowing legacy operating systems and some option ROMs that do not support UEFI to still be used
    so y guess is if csm is on it does not output to DisplayPort.

14. Rammoth

Rammoth Member

More than a little excited for this new AMD software update to filter out into new firmware releases and the new correct temperatures to be reported and maybe, just maybe, better memory support. Hurry up mainboard manufacturers! This platform is so good for the $.

15. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

Thanks Tarot

16. lowdog

lowdog Member

Well I Know CSM is enabled in my MSI bios and I get Display Port output as that's the only output i'm using. If I enable an option in bios called "win 10 WHQL support" this disables CSM and the comp won't even load into windows, just hangs with error debug code and needs hard shut down clrcmos. :tongue:

17. TaroT

TaroT Member

just sayin :0 a few people had issues with DisplayPort and in their case might help :) i never did mine was fine with csm etc so there you go. Now if i could get the rgbs to work again...

18. LaMMi

LaMMi Member

Hey Sammy_Boi, I Just finished building my PC last night and I am seeing a very similar result to yours. my set ups also very similar: 1700, MSI Carbon, Corsair LPX 16gb, original HSF.

However, at the moment, at anything over ~1.33v, CPU gets too hot, >80c.

So I have dialed it down a bit to 3.6ghz and was able to get stable at 1.16v!!

Afraid to push it any further without some water!

LaMMi

19. Bertross

Bertross Member

Just picked up 32GB of Trident Z RGB 3000Mhz 4x8GB so hopefully i can get that working properly tonight!

20. itchynads

itchynads Member

Nice :)

Have some 2x8GB Flare X 3200C14 sticks on order :) Hoping to get them next week for more OC action.