OCAU SSD Owners Club

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by goodguy82, Oct 16, 2009.

1. RhysG

RhysG Member

Add me to the list please :Pirate::leet:!
    OCZ-VERTEX 60GB

2. jalyst

jalyst Member

Anyone? Thanks!

Some more insight being garnered here for those whom are interested
    http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...rforming-30-32-GB-SSD-s-atm&p=483339&posted=1

3. sanjay

sanjay Member

intel x-25m g1 80gb for my new PC build

patriot warp v2 64gb most likely to go in my acer aspire 3810T

OCZ solid series 60gb to go in my acer aspire one 751H when acer support returns it to me after theyve finished their bukakke session on it :mad:

4. jalyst

jalyst Member

Doesn't G1 have no trim support?

What controller/NAND does this use?
    Similar to the OCZ Vertex?

Eeiiiww, not the bukakke I mean the drive, jk! :D

5. Dark_chaos

Dark_chaos Member

Just got mine today, Intel X25-M G2 80GB.
    Its Awesome.

6. c0rr

c0rr Member

finally got around to upgrading my e5200 setup so I can see what all this SSD fuss is about...

i7-860
    P55A-UD3R
    G.Skill F3-16000 4GBRH
    and most importantly a 128gb G.Skill Falcon II

hoping the move to SSD from what is a normal sata(1) hdd for my system drive is even half as good as I'm led to believe, only wishing I didnt have about 12 drinks before I decided I'm not going out tonight and Ill essentially build a whole pc while somewhat unsober (in fact it would probably be easier building a whole new pc rather then having to remove all the old components first :() Gonna do a straight up fresh install, anything (settings wise) I should know about these drives that isnt already done for me by windows out of the box?

*edit* upon a bit of reading i see theres a newer firmware, is this on all falcon II's out of the box? model I've got is FM-25S2I-128GBF2

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  7. jalyst

jalyst Member

@Sanjay, did you see this?
    You reckon you could take a minute to respond?
    Much appreciated!

8. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

goodguy82, please revise my drive list to include the Kingston 40GB, decided to keep it since it now support TRIM, thanks to some craft firmware hacks. :)

9. sanjay

sanjay Member

not a minute, but i can spare 30 seconds ;)

yes, the G1 has no trim support but i got it for $200USD and to be honest i can live with the degradation in performance, as it'll still beat an equivalent HDD.

the patriot warp v2 uses the revised jmicron controller with the extra cache, i believe.

and yes, the OCZ solid series isnt great, but its going into what is already a slow netbook, so for me its more about increasing battery life (beyond the 8 hours i can already get from it) than lightning-fast response times. plus i bought that one about 6 months ago for $100USD (love ebay US :D)

10. jalyst

jalyst Member

K thanks, thought it might be based on the Indilinx Barefoot.
    No go for me, thanks for letting me know!

11. OP
    OP
    goodguy82

goodguy82 Member

No worries boys, update soon.

Where did you manage to get your hands on that intel drive from sanjay? :D

12. deva_da_man

deva_da_man Member

I'm a proud new owner of a G-skill Falcon (1) 64GB, has made a world of difference to my macbook.

yay for ssd ownership! :D

13. VTi-RT

VTi-RT Member

Looking to become a SSD owner myself. Is it better to buy a highspeed single 128GB or get 2x64GB / 4x32GB for use a system drive?

I won't be storing any No critical files on this drive.

Has anyone had any experience with A-Ram SSDs?
    Looks like they're only being sold in Aus as google doesn't have any hits on them anywhere else.

http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/60858_A_RAM_SSD_PRO_32GB_2_5__MLC__240_.aspx

14. Dr1fty

Dr1fty Member

Get a couple of smaller ones, and raid them.

I've had 2x 30gb's in raid-0 and a single 64gb as well. 2x30's was very nice, and the single 64 was still nice..

But for me, an SSD is not worth the expense anymore, nor is it big enough for my games etc.. So raptor's for me still.

15. VTi-RT

VTi-RT Member

Thanks for your thoughts Dr1fty. Yeah SSD's for me are really just to experience the technology and to also look at getting rid of load times.

Anyone experience noticeable degradation of SSD’s performance in RAID 0 over longer periods of time (due to not having TRIM)?

16. painkiller

painkiller Member

Add me to the list :D 2 x Kingston 40gb in RAID0

17. EC MEISTER

EC MEISTER Member

Come on Member Number 99

EC MEISTER - Patriot Torqx 128GB

18. bhobba

bhobba Member

I have 2 Falcon 64gb drives in raid and its great. But that is not my suggestion. It would be 3 A-Ram pro 32gb drives in raid. They can be picked up for about $130-140 at a number of places eg
    http://www.myshopping.com.au/PR--337785_A_RAM_32GB_Pro_Series_SSD

Don't bother with the A-Ram ultra. In a raid set up you simply wont notice the difference. Also don't go for any more than 3 - people who have bench-marked this have found 4 or more does not give any appreciable gains except when using expensive raid controllers rather than the one one you already probably have in on your motherboard.

Don't worry about performance degradation. It really only applies to writes and if you enable write caching any degradation will not be noticeable except when mucking around with really large files. IMHO Trim and all that sort of stuff is a bit of a beat up - especially for raid. Check out:
    http://communities.intel.com/messag...E2C555140852A363C596050CD877A.node5COMS#24652
    'I actually do understand the issues of TRIM and SSDs fully. I've posted several times about this topic on past threads. However, I'll emphasize my point, too: The gains you get from using TRIM are minimal in real-world use. Sure, you can see slight differences by running benchmarks, but odds are the system will not operate this way in real-world conditions. RAID benefits significantly by having a built-in cache, thus the difference between enterprise-level controllers and 'low-cost' home consumer controllers. Gaining RAID performance isn't just a matter of 'going wrong' but a matter of using the right combination of hardware. It's a proven science, not open to much theory. A RAID cache will benefit your write performance more than the TRIM will, and that's a fact of I/O, period. If you wish to wait for TRIM to be fully implemented, that's your choice, of course, but I will guarantee your wait will be rewarded with very little satisfaction, except perhaps on the cheapest of SSD components. However, I only speak for the majority of systems operating out there. Perhaps you have a very unique situation where you're constantly writing gigabytes of data on an hourly basis to your SSDs. But, if it happens to be for your system pagefile or temporary files, perhaps an additional RAMDISK would be the next best upgrade to your system.'

That said, with the drives I suggested you have garbage collection on idle. Simply leaving your computer on overnight every now and then corrects it any way. And if you are not constantly thrashing the computer all the time when using it leaving it on overnight is probably not even necessary, it will find enough idle time during normal use.

Bottom line - forget about it. That's what I am doing except when I explain it to others.

I have experienced zero degradation either noticeable or from running benchmarks which I do every month or so. I do not leave it on overnight so garbage collection may be working fine for me without it. However during normal use I often leave it idle for a few hours while I watch TV etc. But I am only using about 17gb of that 128gb any way (I devote a few minutes every day to keeping my system really clean by running stuff like CCleaner and getting rid of temp files - it accumulates 1 to 2 gb of junk each day). Without going into the details why, if you don't use much of a solid state drive performance degradation does not really exist anyway.

Thanks
    Bill

19. bhobba

bhobba Member

Forgot to mention. Put me down for 2 falcon 64gb raided. Looking to upgrade to fusion I/O once they become boot-able.

Thanks
    Bill

20. bhobba

bhobba Member

Just to give you an idea of the type of speed you would get with the 3 A-RAM's check out:
    http://i4memory.com/f9/4x-32gb-ocz-ssd-core-2-5-sataii-solid-state-disks-tests-8944/index10.html.
    http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608727

The A-RAM's use exactly the same hardware as the OCZ's. Its faster than my setup and mine is blisteringly fast. The only issue I have is for some reason my 4k performance is not 2/3 - it is about 1/3 - why that is I have zero idea. Anyway it will give you an idea of the type of performance you can get. The SSD specific benchmark AS SSD is about 2/3 though and is probably a more reliable indicator of actual performance.

Thanks
    Bill

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010