OCAU VMware Virtualisation Group!

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by NIP007, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Zyklone

Zyklone Member

Do you need VMware workstation or could you get by with using Virtualbox?

2. millsy

millsy Member

I intend to run up virtual machines from scratch for testing purposes. I also require the ability to bridge network interface adaptors as well as setup vlans. I haven't used player for a bit but I wasn't aware it offered that functionality, you had to feed it prebuilt vm's.

The key reason I was looking at VMware over virtualbox was that I found the VMware tools to work better than the virtualbox ones, and that is very important to me. Also generally I've just found it works better than virtualbox, but that could purely be observational and not tangible :)

I wish Microsoft's virtualisation tool was better for Linux, as I'd just use that instead seeing as I already have 8.1 pro.

Thanks heaps for the responses :)

3. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

What issues do you have with it? I'm starting to push client Hyper-V onto people who cry out for dev/test environments now, what hangups does it have with Linux? The integration services works on most popular flavours. The only *nix specific issues I've had have been when the NIC on the VM has been set wrong.

I've not done much (nee anything) with the Hyper-V switching side of things apart from the bare minimum to get a guest internet access. So I couldn't say how you would go on that side of things?

4. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

UNless you planning on playing with prebuilt appliances, e.g. F5, Cisco, riverbed, palo or many others than virtuabox will do the job just fine

5. millsy

millsy Member

The issue I had was just getting it to work nicely for interactive gui based work, their "VMware tools" equivalent wasn't quite there yet.

If I wanted a headless server it would be absolutely fine :)

Heck if all I needed was windows and Linux servers, hyper-v would be perfect (and free!)

6. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

I'm looking for some advice on how to handle a migration. Our current environment is VC 5.1 running the SSO on Server 2008 R2, the VC on Server 2008 R2 and the SQL DB is 2008 running on Server 2008 R2. We're currently running three separate VM's for the three services. We have 7x 5.1 hosts and nearly 350 VM's. The three VM's are running on the same hosts as everything else

Due to an internal application being moved away from our local datacenter I've got a spare server here I'd like to repurpose as a dedicated VC host (running ESX 5.5 and VC 5.5 for the time being).

I'd like to configure it similarly to before, three seperate VM's for SSO, VC and SQL, but I'd install it on Server 2012 R2 and run the SQL DB on SQL 2014.

My issue, I've never done an upgrade of this magnitude before so I wouldn't really know the correct order to ensure it goes smoothly.

Obviously, first step is build up the 5.5 host and create my three seperate VM's, and install SQL 2014 on the SQL host.

From there what should I do to ensure a smooth migration? My first assumption would be migrate the SQL database first and connect the existing VC and SSO server to it... From there I guess I should move the SSO server and finally the VC?

Does anyone have any experience with this type of full migration that can provide some much needed advice in the correct order I should follow?

7. closed_gate

closed_gate Member

Have you thought about HA? From the way that reads, you are wanting it all on one host. You can share your SQL with whatever you want. We have ours doing VC, update Manager and Veeam.

5.1 SSO sucks balls, but I recently upgraded a vCenter from 5.1 to 5.5 and it went smoothly, all except for the couple of services that were monitored that weren't part of 5.5

Unless you really have a good valid reason, just leave SSo and vCenter along with Web Client and Inventory on the same VM. Makes management so much easier. The next thing, leave your VC and SQL VMs in the mix of hosts, with FDM in HA, if the host stops working, heartbeat will detect those VMs stopping and will do it's other quick check and migrate to an available host with enough resources to start it back up. (Takes less than 5 minutes). If you move to a single host outside of that cluster, then you lose this HA ability and if VC host goes down, you have to manually intervene to get that host working again and then starting vCenter.

If that doesn't change your mind, to answer your other question. Make your two VMs (note: 2 Vms as SSO should just remain on the same VM as vCenter) install SQL on one VM and then create your DSN on the vCenter VM. Once you have a working connection to SQL you can go ahead and install from the vCenter. Best to stick with the Simple Install.

8. closed_gate

closed_gate Member

Just to clarify, are you running additional that uses SSO like SRM/vCloud Director?

9. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

I hadn't considered HA (and I've just double checked out environment, HA isn't enabled)... Currently our SQL is only doing the VC and Update manager

The reason it was done the way it was is because someone else did the installation... Personally I agree, and will probably move the SSO back to the VC server for simplicity.

Our environment is not the best, and if I had the time and budget I would probably re-design the whole thing from scratch. When the environment has had issues, I doubt HA would have resolved anything as it's usually been a fairly catastrophic failure such as our UPS exploding in the middle of the day.

The only reason I'm even looking at moving the VC to dedicated hardware is if I don't then there's a 12-core, 64GB machine sitting there doing dick all

Sounds pretty straight forward. As for migrating the existing database to keep the existing VM folder and permission structure, would you recommend migrating the DB first and connecting it to the existing VC, then moving the VC to the new VM?

No other services are using SSO.

10. closed_gate

closed_gate Member

First things first, get HA enabled and working. can't stress that enough. So you database isn't doing much, that's alright then. Same VM as VC at this stage.

It's as easy as installing them on the same VM. However, you're probably best to leave it.

You could redesign, but it probably isn't worth it until you look at upgrading to full 5.5 environment, or even vSphere 6.

Why not get creative and turn it isn't a dev box? set up a nested environment (Autolab it maybe) and run up several hypervisors on it and practice migration and setting up new VC/SQL dbs, etc.

Have a google around, there should be a few blog posts on how to do it. Hit up the VMware Community forums.[/quote]

11. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

I think this was tried on our environment a few times, except it caused more problems than it was worth.

Our vSphere environment isn't production, it's development... And the devs have overloaded the 5 servers with too many VM's to really have a beneficial HA functionality... There's no way all VM's could be restored automatically if one server fell over.

Also being Dev they're actually very patient with IT on the odd situations where problems occur, because like I said when shit fails in our environment it tends to fail catastrophically... Nothing that would be helped by simply having HA enabled.

12. evo800v

evo800v Member

Just wondering if anyone here has upgraded to vsphere 6 on their production system yet? we're still on 5.1 with 2 hosts & 15 vms, it is worth going to V6 directly or stick with 5.5 for stability sake?

13. Glide

Glide Member

Be prepared that your VADP backups wont work after you upgrade to vSphere 6.

Most vendors should support it later this month, since VMware made major changes between beta and GA for VDDK.

14. evo800v

evo800v Member

We're a veeam house so vdp isnt an issue, will definitely tested on our dev system prior. Would be good to see if how many install based (production system) of various vmware version on ocau though.

15. closed_gate

closed_gate Member

I've had quite a few bugs in vSphere 6 already, and that was just in my lab.

There are a lot of rebuilt components in v6 that you should probably consider and possibly wait for U1 to come out. Are there features that your environment requires to get you to upgrade so quickly?

Have you been running it in a lab with a few VMs and played with HA, and a few other components that your production environment will utilise? Probably best to test them.

Also, for your Veeam: http://forums.veeam.com/vmware-vsphere-f24/vmware-6-0-t26830.html

16. The_Derro

The_Derro Member

I've heard some horror stories about doing an upgrade of Virtual Center. Mate of mine works for VMware and suggests doing a new install of VC at this stage.

I've been playing in the lab. No show stoppers for me, but I haven't been pushing anything too hard yet. So far so good :)

17. usedbodychocola

usedbodychocola Member

Going from 5.1 or 5.5 to 6.0, it can be a good opportunity to do an upgrade of the underlying server OS, or switch to the appliance. Typically most vCenter servers are a few years old and the redeploy can help speed things up.

With the redeploy, you can just stand up the new vCenter server, disconnect hosts from 5.x and connect to 6.x vCenter, then upgrade hosts with VUM, Autodeploy, ISO, etc. vDS networks can be a bit trickier in the reconnect, but if you export you vDS from 5.x and import before transitioning hosts, all should be fine.
    If you are running Cisco 1kv's you will have to stay with 5.x until VMware/Cisco add support, or make the jump to vDS and save the upgrade/support issues.

18. Glide

Glide Member

How's vSphere 6.0 all going?

Any backup/recovery issues? (I have a vested interest in this area) :)

19. NSanity

NSanity Member

I have a vSphere 6.0 deployment going up now (tiny though, 2 hosts, 4 guests).

Planning on using Veaam or Gzipped ZFS Snaps.

If it shits me, I'll let you know

20. newgen

newgen Member

No time to test it yet. Still sorting out some performance issues with Veeam Direct SAN Access backups over 10GBe iSCSI with Equallogic arrays. 1GBe performance is faster :/