OCAU VMware Virtualisation Group!

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by NIP007, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Glide

Glide Member

Odd. The SAN transport layer is generally abstract from the vendor software (i.e Veeam), as VDDK handles the storage at this level. In the past I've found these issues generally related to TOE and drivers from the NIC vendor - although I've not seen this for some time now.

Could be worth disabling TOE features to see if it helps or checking/disabling MPIO temporarily to try identify the gremlin...

2. closed_gate

closed_gate Member

Veeam 8 U2 came out today/yesterday. It includes vSphere 6.0 support.

I've just rebuilt my lab (again with vSphere 6.0) Found a few bugs in the GA that weren't in the BETA, I will need to make a SR shortly. I quite like the new Web Client, much, much better to use.

As I say with all major releases - Wait for u1 first before placing in production.

3. juz88

juz88 Member

I'm another advocate for this if your going up full versions its just so much easier doing a fresh install of vCenter, SSO, IS, WC, etc. Then you can just add your hosts into the new cluster then update them using UM.

4. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Just a tinkerer here (router guy, home lab) - whats best practice for migrating to a new vcenter? (virtual appliance, in case it matters).

I'm running iSCSI and dvswitches. I know one way is to migrate back to normal vswitches - but would exporting work going from 5.5 to 6 vcenter?

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mi...nguage=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2034602

What about iSCSI? Just set it up again, map the target and then import the iSCSI stored hosts?

Also when you add an existing host to a new vcenter, does it pick up all the hosts or do you have to manually import them from whatever storage source?

As an side, are any other home labbers salivating over the Xeon-D gear

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/D/X10SDV-F.cfm

5. knoted

knoted Member

Hey Folks, I'm after a little advice.

I'm looking at setting up a host almost purely for running a Cisco VIRL VM in a home lab environment. It is a memory hungry beast and also uses nested virtualisation. It is only supported on top of VMWare hypervisors, but can be bare metal.

Rather than upgrading my Macbook to have 16GB ($700 net cost with Fusion Pro) I am thinking vSphere with GPU and USB pass through to a Windows 7 / 10 guest so I can still use the PC day to day (net cost of $0 after selling Macbook). I do have a HP N40L running Windows 7 as a HTPC/File server which I may or may not sell and may or may not virtualise. NFS at home would actually be of great benefit for Time Machine back ups.

My specific concerns relate to vSphere version and hardware. I'm looking at 1150 socket motherboards with a B85 chipset, 32GB RAM and a non-K i5.

I have read some stuff about the vSphere client being deprecated and needing to use the web client - which requires vCentre. I have little interest in virtualisation for study purposes at this point in time, I'm only looking at it to run network study related VMs. I don't want to be setting up a whole bunch of storage, clusters, VM HA, vMotion, quad NICs or any of that other stuff.

Am I going to run into dramas running v6? Should I stick with v5.5? Any particular boards to choose for full virtualisation support? Am I better off just getting the 16GB Macbook with Fusion Pro, or even a Windows desktop running Workstation?

My goal is to not spend cash on the whole project, though it isn't a hard requirement. I'm not tight on money and will claim any expense on tax anyway, I just don't want to spend money on server / workstation grade hardware just to essentially get 32GB RAM.

Thanks for your time.

6. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

if you're only running VIRL stick with 5.5.

You don't need anything fancy just the free version will do, you won't need vcenter, you got only 1 host 1 CPU etc.

Any whitebox that will boot into ESXi and is at least an i5, slap 16Gb of RAM into it and you're good. A windows desktop running workstation will also be fine, but you'll get a bit more speed from ESXi. Besides, what are you doing having no interest in ESXi? ALong with python, virt/orchestration chops should be right near the top of your list (IMO....)

BTW it is a pig compared to IOU. I can spin up a 25 router topology in IOU in under 30 seconds. With VIRL takes approx 5-6 minutes to spin up a 10 router topology using a Sandy Bridge-EX Hex core lol.
    VIRL brings laptop CPUs to its knees, esp as most of them are dual core not quad.

7. knoted

knoted Member

Thanks for the advice Wintermute. I just saw IOU running a 15 router topology with DMVPN as a VM on a 4GB laptop. Impressed.

It's not so much that I'm not interested in virtualisation or python - i've dabbled in both. I'm just planning on getting CCIE for R&S first. Also my current Network Engineering role doesn't even give me read access to firewalls, let alone infrastructure.

8. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

also look for WebIOU. They're all-in-one VMs where someone's bolted a web UI on top of an IOU to run pre-fabbed topologies and labs i.e. recreations of the big training vendors etc.

Its a golden era for Cisco labbing. I wish this crap was this easy back when I started out!!! I have a rack of 1841s gathering dust lol

9. closed_gate

closed_gate Member

10. NSanity

NSanity Member

Veeam, FreeNAS and VMWare 6.

comments.

So it looks like FreeNAS 9.3's "VMWare Snapshot" ability doesn't quite work. Whilst it does create quiesed snapshots, it doesn't follow up and remove them on the vmware size after creation is finished. This destroys vmware performance as it starts managing a zillion vmdks on an NFS share (I was hitting it every 15 minutes). NFI about what it looks like on an iSCSI one.

Veeam 8u2 appears to backup VMWare 6. But gluing it into the above doesn't work - because it breaks FreeNAS' snapshots.

According to the FreeNAS Team, this is indeed a bug, #9732

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  11. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

So I was finally able to free up and repurpose the spare server to run a 5.5 VC environment. I am going to go with 2 VM's still, the SQL DB on one and the full VC suite on the other (done with Simple install).

However looking at the migration process I'm just wondering if it would be far simpler for me to simply migrate the ESX hosts over to the new VC. However, how can I do this while still maintaining my folder and permission structure for VM's, Datastores and Networks? Will that require a migration of the SQL DB? So I've done some searching and no it's not a simple task. I've found this guide to copy over the roles and this guide on how to copy the folder structure and move the VMs when I connect the hosts again. The role move worked perfectly, however I cannot get the the function to work as per my comment on the blog post

I might be biting off more than I can chew as I'm doing migration to new VM's, running new OS, running new version of SQL, running new version of VC... If I can get the scripts to work it might not be too difficult a task to migrate the ESX hosts to the fresh VC.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  12. GDavid

GDavid Member

Hi all, extreme VM nub here.

Solved snapshot and linked clone issue.

\

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  13. closed_gate

closed_gate Member

14. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

15. NSanity

NSanity Member

all of your VMWare requirement is tied up in VDI though isn't it?

Honestly - the value judgement for VMWare gets smaller and smaller every day. VSAN needs to be included, VMotion needs to be baseline and a "mini" vcenter to manage it needs to be cheap/included (e.g the old foundation line).

but for many Windows Shops, I just can't see the benefit for VMWare over Hyper-V now unless you have a VDI requirement.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  16. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Yeah, that's where the requirement comes from, and one of the big improvements in PowerCLI 6.5 is;

Hence my disappointment.

But I agree, the value proposition for VMWare simply isn't there anymore, They are pushing Vmware Vcenter Virtual Appliance pretty hard, so from a technical perspective, bringing back something like foundation wouldn't be difficult... But I guess they have run the numbers, and decided that, for now, the number of shops who would have taken up a Foundation option, and leave for Hyper-V, cost less than the number of shops on a full license, who would drop to foundation if it was available.

17. NSanity

NSanity Member

The second Hyper-V gets a better GUI management tool that encompasses SCVMM/FOCM/Hyper-V Manager in one - everything about Hyper-V is fixed in that area.

18. closed_gate

closed_gate Member

19. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016