1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

OCAU Whisky appreciation

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by xian, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

2. Mithickus

Mithickus Member

First release in January 2017, that's a shame. I'm doing a tour of Tasmanian distilleries this November, probably would have fit them in!

3. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Im jealous! I live here and I haven't done a tour of the distilleries :p Too busy drinking it all instead.

4. Skramit

Skramit Member

5. HuggyBear

HuggyBear Member

$10 off a single purchase over $50 at First Choice Liquor online store (delivery or pick-up).

OzBargain

Brings Lagavulin down to $78, pity it's once only.

- Bear

6. von Stalhein

von Stalhein Member

Pretty good work by the rellos this year (I may've dropped some hints)
    Teeling Small Batch & Single Malt
    Lagavulin 16yo
    Aberlour 12yo
    :thumbup:

7. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Lucky.
    Bastard.

Enjoy your new acquisitions. :thumbup:

Not a drop to drink for me, but that's probably a good thing.
    More than enough beer and wine to go around, and if I got well stuck into a single malt while in "festive mode" I'd probably regret it the next day. :lol:

8. von Stalhein

von Stalhein Member

:D
    I admire your willpower.
    I did have a few nips late on Christmas night (went to bed about 2) of the Teeling Single Malt as I'd never tasted it before.
    I was up at 6.30 doing dishes and moving tables etc so I heartily vouch for it's restorative powers.
    I did have an AFD yesterday though!! :lol:

9. Brick

Brick Member

Finally found a chance to try a drop of Bruichladdich Octomore (7.1). I've been playing with the idea of buying an Octomore for about 2 years now but haven't given into temptation as I've simply never had anything close to being that peaty before (but lets face it, it's pretty much Octomore or Octomore at those levels). First half was neat, then added a little water for the rest, either way everything I love about peated whisky on steroids.
    Safe to say it's definitely on the purchase list once I get through a couple of other bottles at home first. Best of all it was only $14 for a dram, not the hugest selection of whiskey but I'll definitely be going back to for a couple of other drops I've been wanting to try!

10. Shaetano

Shaetano Member

Does anyone use those argon preservation canisters for their opened whiskies?

There are one or two older posts in this thread but the 1 website linked is now gone (and my search skills probably suck).

Just wondering where people get theirs from?

11. Febs

Febs Member

I do yep. When my wife and I moved overseas we left behind around 150 bottles of whisky, about 30-40 of them open. I gassed anything that was less than 75% full with "Winesave", a 100% argon gas cannister I bought at Dan Murphy's:
    https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_365521/winesave-sommeliers-choice-wine-preserver

Tried them after 2 years and all had held up well, so in my opinion, it was money well spent. I've had one or two bottles in the past go "dull", and others go "really dull" when less than 50% full and left for a year or more.

Other option is to transfer the liquid to a smaller bottle with less air.

Cheers,
    Febs.

12. Shaetano

Shaetano Member

Ok great thanks Febs!

13. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

14. Febs

Febs Member

Nice! Gotta love a bit of cask char. Looking forward to seeing how Alex prices these, but with only a handful of each release, I'm sure they won't last long!

15. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Being lucky enough to be building their website (where do you know Alex from btw?) I have a fair idea what their pricing will be like, as with most Tassie whisky not that cheap (we get fucked by tax so damn hard).

16. BlueRaven

Especially for single cask at cask strength I imagine. :shock:

Came across this in my online travels... the Internet's oldest Malt Whisky site!
    Some broken links and (I presume) some outdated info, but lots of good stuff there on individual distilleries, an excellent glossary/explanation of the process, tasting notes, general FAQs and some great info for anyone planning a trip
    (although once again, check that the info remains current if you use it as a reference!).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  17. von Stalhein

von Stalhein Member

Terrific work that, thanks & bookmarked :thumbup:

18. BlueRaven

Cheers! :D
    I was having a better look through the site just now and it really is fantastically complete; a great reference site, if a little outdated...
    I do tend to find clunky static html enormously charming in this day and age though. :lol:

19. Febs

Febs Member

Ah don't know him personally (may have met him at an SMWS event before) - we're on a few of the same Facebook groups so I've seen his posts about Dark Valley.

Yeah, as many Aussie distilleries say, they make less than the big boys spill!

Cheers,
    Febs.

20. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Well his first run didn't even make it to public sale :p. He doesn't want his whisky just sitting on shelves of collectors so has been madly hitting up various bars and getting them to sample it. You can find it in a few bars across Melbourne and I believe a couple down in Tassie plan to be selling it too.