OCAU Whisky appreciation

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by xian, Nov 22, 2005.

1. fetetert

fetetert Member

ooh yeah!! I got quite the taste for the a'bunadh too! just picked up two bottles of batch no.20 at 60.5%!!! hell yeah and at 24quid a pop not too badly priced either!! going to get stuck into one very very soon actually!! nice glass and a bit of ice and i'll be in heaven!

2. siamsam

siamsam Member

Great to be a drunk in another country where you can try the best at a better price than your native country.

3. BobsYourUncle

BobsYourUncle Member

Damn that's cheap... less than 50AUD... must be nice to live so close to Scotland :p Makes me want to go on a Scottish/Irish vacation at christmas time even more...

I'm heading overseas again soon, Hong Kong this time, so of course I'll have to use up my duty free allowance :D Might get another a'bunadh myself, only got about half a bottle left.

4. CanEater

CanEater Member

Picked up a bottle of this today Ardbeg 10 Year Old. What a drop! Bloody nice, the smoky taste is heaven in a bottle. :leet:
    One of the best I've had yet. As one gets older the more one appreciates the finer things.

The brother in law picked up a bottle of
    Dalwhinnie 15 Year Old very smooth and very soft you could drink this and then it would hit you like a ton of bricks.:lol:

Any more nice smoky whiskeys to try apart from the above...

5. kimnkk

kimnkk Member

I did a bit of reading through this thread but i'm still the world's biggest noob when it comes to whisky :upset:.

Can anyone recommend a good whisky around the $70-80 mark for a whisky noob? I don't mind if its single malt, blend or whatever, just something that won't kill someone who hasn't had much whisky before, but not too boring either :Paranoid:.

6. BobsYourUncle

BobsYourUncle Member

Highland Park 12 year old, should be about $65 I think... If you haven't had good scotch before, I really recommend drinking it neat. And the burning sensation is due to the way you drink it I think, I can drink red label these days without discomfort (other than the terrible taste, that is :p). But I've had plenty of practice...

7. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

My hubby likes the Dalwhinnie and Glenmorangie and they should both be in your price range. The Johnnie Walker Green label should also be in your price range and most people say it's the best in the Johnnie Walker range.

My hubby likes his with just a dash of water.

8. groopa

groopa Member

Ahhhh my old man just came back from overseas and the bloody good chap that he is got me two bottles of McAllen Elegencia (well, okay it was really my mums allocation that was used - god bless her) and he managed to get them for US$38 each for 1 litre in the Maldives!!! so it cost me a whole $80 for 2 litres of the sherry oaked elegencia! hurray! we just had to drink a few then watching our beloved Carlton get demolished by the cats. Only good thing about the night was the whisky ;)

9. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

I could tell you've been drinking, you spelled the whisky wrong. :lol:

Oh and Go Cats! :thumbup: Sorry it had to be your team but at least you had a good whisky while you watched them.

10. CanEater

CanEater Member

Groopa what do you think of the Elegencia? I got a bottle last year and don't think much of it. I don't like it much at all. Would you believe I mix it with coke as I just dont like it's taste neat or with water.
    ( Burn Him ) Heratic.....arrghghgh:wired::wired:

11. groopa

groopa Member

Ugghhh, anyone catch the plate of the bus that ran me over last night???
    :sick:

Yep certainly spelt the whisky wrong but yes I was just a wee bit into my cups.

CanEater, I don't mind the Elegencia at all, rather enjoy it. Not quite as good as what my mind remembers it as (been a couple of years since I last had it) and I now prefer Islay malts over highlands or speysides, but on the whole I still rate it up there. Also for $40 aussie bucks, there isn't anything else better :p

12. GenoCyber

GenoCyber Member

13. Febs

Febs Member

Heading to LAX (on the way back to SYD) in a few hours...not sure if I want to save my pennies and get Glenfiddich 18yo, or spend the extra and go for the 21yo.

Thoughts? I've tried the 18yo a few times (since panning it a while ago :p) and enjoy it....is the 21yo significantly better?

Cheers,
    - Febs.

14. Neverborn

Neverborn Member

Interesting stuff, would you mind letting us know on a regular basis how it goes? I've thought about joining in the past, but have never really had the insight into how it works, whether it would be worth it etc..

15. lavi

lavi Member

16. lavi

lavi Member

Macallan very similar to Glen in smoothness i like both!

17. aspring

aspring Member

Hey CanEater, smoky whisky's I'd recommend (Top 5)

Lagavulin
    Laphroig
    Port Ellen
    Talisker
    Highland Park

Good luck finding a reasonably priced Port Ellen though!

18. Febs

Febs Member

Qantas made my mind up for me - they cancelled 2 of 3 LAX-SYD flights, so I was put onto an LAX-MEL flight out of TBIT. TBIT had a pretty average selection...and no 21yo, so 18yo it was (but hey, $59USD is a lot better than $99AUD in SYD!)

19. seefarr

seefarr Member

Don't forget Caol Ila. I think it's my favorite (at the moment)!

20. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

We joined but found the communication was a problem. We were also sent wrong orders and they mixed up the refunds. We gave up in the end which was a shame as my hubby was looking forward to it. We prefer something more organized though.