OCAU Whisky appreciation

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by xian, Nov 22, 2005.

1. GenoCyber

GenoCyber Member

I will definitely let people know how I find the single malt whisky club. I know that the two people who manage the whisky club are traveling around Scotland so there might be a delay in hearing from them.

2. CanEater

CanEater Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2008
  3. foxpsych

foxpsych Member

i just looked into this thread with the express intent to recommend Japanese whiskies by Suntory and look here, last post is recommending them as well!

I have a bottle of the Suntory Hakushu 12 year and the Suntory Yamazaki 12 year and both are excellent. I've only started getting into whiskies but these two are even better than my previous fave, The Glenlivet 12 year.

I prefer the Hakushu to the Yamazaki as I find it smoother and not as overpowering... mmmm time for a glass now :D

http://www.suntory.com/yamazaki/main.html
    http://www.whisky-pages.com/stories/suntory.php

4. lavi

lavi Member

my fav so far is still the Glenlivet 18yo need to try the Hakushu!

and by Fav i'm talking about a price point as well as there are better ones out there but won't pay 300$/bottle every time i need a glass

5. onbail

onbail (Banned or Deleted)

Can anyone recommend me a decent bottle for around $40.

6. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Glenlivet 12 year old can be had for just under $40 if you can find it on special, otherwise it's about $45.

7. onbail

onbail (Banned or Deleted)

Thanks might give it a try.

8. Uchuujin-san

Uchuujin-san Member

Was introduced to the Yamazaki by a bartender when i went to Japan last year, wonderful whiskey. Was quite pissed that because i had to change planes on the way back i couldn't bring home a few bottles. Managed to find some at the massive Dan Murphey(sp?) on Mt. Alexander Road though. Am going to have to find myself a bottle of Hakushu or Hibiki.

9. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Changed planes within Australia or overseas? If it's overseas you can bring duty free even when changing planes. You just have to ask them to put it in a tamper proof bag. In Australia you pay a small fee, I believe it was 50 cents when my dad traveled back to the UK via Dubai.

10. lavi

lavi Member

spot on! and it's a fine drop too! actually very very high on my list, the french oak is so so, the 18yo is very nice

11. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Ah good to know. Hubby has the French Oak but hasn't opened it yet. We'll have to put the 18 year old on the list of to buys. :thumbup:

Edit: After looking them up, is it the 12 or 15 year old French Oak that you're referring to? My hubby has the 15 year old.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  12. Uchuujin-san

Uchuujin-san Member

Was within Australia. In Brisbane IIRC. One of those strange Jetstar procedures where everyone gets kicked off the plane with your carry on, then have to go through security again to get back onto the same plane. Wish i'd known about the sealed bags sooner.. was told by the airport staff at Osaka Int that because of the plane 'change' i'd have to get rid of liquids in bottles of more than 100ml.

13. lavi

lavi Member

15yo but hey my taste might not be like his but i like the 18yo better :p
    instead of spending on the 15yo french oak a $40 bottle is better on all accounts! the 15yo french oak has a bit of a diff taste but not warranting the extra

14. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Actually if it's within Australia I believe they do take it from you so the staff at Osaka were spot on. Can't understand why they have that rule though when you can go through international with it. :confused:

My hubby said he'd much prefer an 18 year old he wouldn't even consider a 15 year old. I don't think he's talking about whisky though. :lol:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  15. Febs

Febs Member

So I've come to the conclusion that I very much don't like Islay whiskeys. Tried Ardbeg last night...found it only slightly more tolerable than Laphroaig, which I really, really didn't enjoy. Just far too much iodine taste for my liking.

Speyside and Highland though...mmm yum yum. :)

Oh and sort of on-topic...if anyone from Sydney frequents The Ivy....a Glenfiddich 18yo is only $1 more than Glenfiddich 12yo. :thumbup:

Cheers,
    - Febs.

16. BobsYourUncle

BobsYourUncle Member

Febs, maybe you should give bruichladdich a try if you get a chance, it's an Islay, but it's quite different to the others I've had, it generally doesn't have the very peaty/iodine flavour of something like a laphroaig.

I picked up a bottle of the Bruichladdich Moine Mhor 3D 2nd ed yesterday, it's really nice (but it is more peaty than the usual 'laddich, hence the name).

17. Officer Farva

Officer Farva Member

Got a bottle of Bushmills 10yo from the whisky club. First Irish single malt I've tried. Out of the 12 or so bottles I've now got from the club, the Bushmills is by far my favourite.

Just lots of distinct flavours that come through, makes it really enjoyable to drink. :thumbup:

I'm now drinking the Clontarf which is another Irish single malt, quite nice as well.

18. benny_burny

benny_burny (Banned or Deleted)

Girlfriend bought me a bottle of Glenfiddich 18yo duty free and I've been having that on the rocks. Bloody nice - can't drink it straight yet though, much prefer it rocked.

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I once tried a glass of top of the line Johnny Walker one time, didn't think it was anything particularly special. That's the last time I give $50 to a friend to get a round.

20. Febs

Febs Member

It's a good drop isn't it? I preferred the 12yo at first, but have changed my ways. Bargain in certain parts of the world too (e.g. duty-free in the US).

The 15yo is very nice too.

Interestingly, some bars in Sydney charge the same price for 12yo and 15yo, and barely any more for 18yo! Interesting given how much more expensive the 15 and 18yo are by the bottle.

Cheers,
    - Febs.