OCAU Whisky appreciation

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by xian, Nov 22, 2005.

1. zdream

zdream Member

Didn't know OCAU'ers liked the single malt :thumbup:

My favourite would be Lagavulin. I've tasted pretty much everything Aus has to offer but the smokiness of the laga is just :D

On an unrelated note, I had a taste of Louie 13 the other day. Delicious!

2. millsy

millsy Member

Bah I have no money :(

3. von Stalhein

von Stalhein Member

millsy_c you and I need to get in on this $50 voucher lurk.

There seems to have been a bit of it going on lately, and we've been left out.
    :Paranoid: :Paranoid:

4. millsy

millsy Member

I agree with this sentiments, share the love DM :lol:

5. $qwuzzy

$qwuzzy Member

Picked mine up from some very considerate workmates for my bday. :thumbup:

6. ThE_BiG_O

ThE_BiG_O Member

Opened up a bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh batch #28 tonight and thought I might share some tasting notes.

The colour is really nice; a brooding dark oloroso sherry. On the nose there is immediate dark chocolate/cocoa, treacle, sherry, leather and a hint of cough syrup. On the mouth it's all dry sherry and very intense. Definitely a lot of bite in terms of alcohol, so it can do with some water to tame it, but it is very warming. The finish is sherry and toffee and lingers for a little while.

If you've tried the Aberlour 10yo, just imagine an incredibly intense version of it and you have the A'bunadh. It's the easiest way to describe it. They both share the same cocoa/dark chocolate and sherry notes, but the A'bunadh is richer in every way in terms of smell and palate. However, as it is cask strength (59.7%), you'll have to sacrifice some of the smoothness of the 10yo for the prickle and heat of the A'bunadh.

Is it worth almost double the price of the 10yo? If you have the money, love the heavily sherried speysiders, and looking for more intensity than that of the the 10yo then go for it. It is a great experience to try at least once.

7. Falkor

Falkor Member

Went through Duty Free in Sydney last Friday and Snow Phoenix is still there. Down the bottom of the shelf. Look hard :)

I didn't buy anything though, It was all too expensive :D

I picked up a bottle of JD Silver Select in LA though.

8. skymist

skymist Member

What are people's opinions on Snow Phoenix? I've read some reviews that said good things but is just a really well done marketing ploy?...

9. da_ilks

da_ilks Member

Was keen to buy a nice scotch coming back into the country, and ended up grabbing Macallan Select Oak, which is from their 1824 Range (duty free market only, which I didn't realise till after I bought it). To be honest I was buying on brand/region, as I'd only ever drunk cheap stuff before. I wanted something easy to drink straight, and some rudimentry research suggested the Speyside region, and Macallan, would be a good first port of call.

Well, luckily I like the Macallan. Butterscotch is promiment on the smell, and sometimes in the tasting. It's rather sweet, and pretty easy drinking. I like it, although I am definitely a noob when it comes to scotch! Might be another expensive hobby to get into :(

10. Falkor

Falkor Member

Pretty much a marketing ploy, I would only buy it if you feel you must have if because its unique/one of a kind etc.

<3 <3 <3 Macallan. You didn't pick badly!

11. Dilligaf666

Dilligaf666 Member

I have just recently got back from a trip to Scotland.

I had the opportunity to visit Islay and went to 6 of the 8 distiller's on the island.

I can not recommend this enough - I went on three tours:

Brucladdich - An older style distiller that still does stuff the old fashioned way - a must see if you are there. (they dont do their own malting yet - but it is an independent business that hires mainly locals and has zero computers)

Laguvulan - awesome tasting from the cask of some fantastic whiskys. had 9 drams before 11:00am and was flying all day. Got to taste the low wines( whisky before it goes in the cask) right through to cask strength 18 yrs

Laphroig - the only distiller that does its own maltings - so is also a must see - that way you get to see the whole process end to end - I added some peat to the process and can say I have contributed to someones enjoyment in 10 yrs time

Also visited Ardberg, Bowmore and Bunnahabhain.

If you like your whisky peaty and smokey visit Islay and have an awesome time:thumbup:

12. Houseboat

Houseboat Member

Sounds awesome, would love to visit Scotland and head around to heaps of distillers. I just need to convince the other half to visit them too :tongue:

13. Malarkey

Malarkey Member

I was working at Dan Murphy's when this came out, they sold like hotcakes. I managed to grab 2 bottles of it. One to open and one to keep, and I was pretty impressed with it. But to be honest I didn't buy it for the taste, I brought it because it was a once off that will never be made again :thumbup:

Edit: Does anyone know where I can pick up a few bottles of Crown Royal in Brisbane?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  14. matthew-r88

matthew-r88 Member

Had my thirtieth a couple of weeks ago, ppl must know i like Scotch / Whiskey or think i have a drinking problem. in the way of Whiskey i scored:

1 bottle of JW Red
    1 bottle of JW Black
    1 Bottle of Chivas Regal
    1 bottle of Wild Turkey
    1 bottle of Wild Turkey & Honey

and my brother bought over a bottle of Dimple to share.

I also got some nice square scotch glasses with nice heavy bases.

Drank far too much that night but at least the bar will be stocked for a while

15. mercy420

mercy420 Member

I'm not sure if this was covered earlier, in the thread, but does anyone have suggestions for developing a taste for whisky?

I've found expensive single malts have a rather high barrier of entry for me. I'm wondering if there's a suggested type of blended whisky that's pleasant and newbie friendly?

16. Wacko02

Wacko02 Member

The A'bunadh is the best i've tried so far (from a limited selection) but couldn't find it duty free last time we went through as it's apparently only available from some airports. Got the Aberlour 12YO instead, but it's just not the same.

When i got my first bottle of A'bunadh, it was a random selection and about $90 duty free, but was very happy with it. (dangerous stuff though due to the ~60% alcohol content).

17. Dilligaf666

Dilligaf666 Member

I have an Aberlour A'bunadh

but my most prized bottle (which is not yet opened) is a Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist Single Malt Scotch Whisky

(Known as the beastie - and distilled in 1990

They dont seem to make it anymore?
    I asked at the distillery and they said it was a limited release

18. ThE_BiG_O

ThE_BiG_O Member

Man, I'd love to do a distillery tour of Scotland one day.

Although I don't think Laphroaig is the only distiller to its own maltings.

I know Springbank is another artisan distiller that still does everything the old fashioned way. They also are one of the last to still have their own malting floor and do malting on-site. Even the labels are still put on by hand, and there's no use of computers on the production floors.

I have a lot of respect for distillers that haven't caved into corporate greed and take so much pride in their product authenticity and provide employment for the local community.

I've always understood it to be not worth it to buy whisky online from overseas. But with the Australian dollar so good lately I was interested to see if there's currently any potential to save money by buying online and importing whisky from the UK.

For those interested, the calculation is:

Customs value/Cost Price (Cval)
    Customs duty (Duty) @ 5% of Cval
    Spirits (<80% alc. volume) Tariff = $72.46/L or $0.07246/mL
    Shipping/Freight/Insurance (T&I)

Value of the Taxable Importation (VoTI) (Cval+Duty+Tarrif+T&I)
    + GST @ 10% of the VoTI

Yes, it's true, we do have the most complicated tax system on alcohol importation in the world :lol:

But now that we have the calculation, let's try a real world example with a whisky that has quite a high markup over here. Feel free to correct me if I've stuffed something up, maybe someone from Customs on here?

1 x Ardbeg Corryvreckan £51.58/~$79 AUD (normally retails here for ~$190-$200 :()
    Duty@5% = $3.95
    Spirits Tariff = $50.72
    Shipping = £18.00/~$27
    VoTI = $160.67
    GST = $16.07

Total Cost: ~$176.74, a saving of up to 11.6%/$23.26

Summary: Yes, you can save some money, but only on relatively expensive bottles of whisky. The spirits tariff essentially kills any potential of saving decent money on whiskies that you can buy here for around $150 or less. Because this tariff is on volume, you'll be paying $50 on a 700ml bottle regardless — doesn't matter if it cost $30 or $300.

So it's only worth considering if you're looking for something that's >$150 locally or can't be sourced locally at all. And I guess if you spend some time looking online you could find some great bargains compared to the example I gave.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2011
  19. Dilligaf666

Dilligaf666 Member

No you are correct, Bowmore do their own Maltings as well on Islay.

there is also a large malting contract operation from what i can gather that is owned by Diagio (who own Laguvulan and Caol isla - as well as johny wlaker etc)

Also you could join the Single Malt whisky club (link on the first page).
    Good whiskys at a fairly good price :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2011
  20. $qwuzzy

$qwuzzy Member