OCAU Whisky appreciation

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by xian, Nov 22, 2005.

1. jmart38

jmart38 (Banned or Deleted)

That isn't relevant. Militantly telling someone they shouldn't enjoy a drink just because they don't enjoy it the same way you do is beyond ridiculous.

It's made to be consumed, them buying a bottle doesn't significantly dent the supply of the product, so that particular posted has no reason to have that attitude.

2. connico

connico Member

Drinking a decent single malt with coke... and masking the experience with fizz and sugar just doesnt seem right.

I don't care if ppl drink whiskey and coke / dry / soda... don't care. But if your going too do it with a decent single malt... ill swap you with a Johnnie Red and you can enjoy as much as you want...

No difference between a Johnnie Red in coke / Johnnie Blue in coke and a 21 year old single malt in coke (god forbid...)

3. jmart38

I can not drink Johnnie red mixed with anything (I hate the pine flavour it has) but I don't at all mind black.

Sooooo?

4. mr626

mr626 Member

:lol:

Apologies for my previous post. I probably should have used a more light-hearted emoticon. Of course, the best way to enjoy a whisky is how you best enjoy it. Laphroaig is one of my favourite drops, and I tend to get a bit excited about it!

I would clarify the above by saying that I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would enjoy Laphroaig more with coke. It's a classic Islay single malt- very peaty and smokey (even the 10 year old) and people either love it or hate it. To illustrate this further:

From: http://mybaryourbar.com/2006/09/04/laphroaig-not-my-cup-of-tea-or-glass-of-scotch/

So, if you don't like Laphroaig as is, you aren't likely to find it more palatable with some coke.

Anyhow, back to appreciating whiskey.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  5. Foos

Foos Member

Quoting myself - The reason being it would probably taste foul with coke!

6. von Stalhein

von Stalhein Member

I love Jameson. Mother's Milk. Neat. Alternating it with a Islay or even BNJ highlights the contrasts.

Sorry - had to stop myself there, I was about to ramble a bit.

Did I mention I really love Jameson?

7. Neo Cortex

Neo Cortex Member

Really enjoying a bottle of Bushmills 10yo Single Malt Irish Whiskey at the moment, goes down really smooth, and a few mates who dont usually drink whiskey neat really enjoyed it too :thumbup:

8. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Just got to try a glass from my 1 liter Glenmorangie 10YO, delicious! Each sip starts out light (to match it's smell) then becomes really full bodied (reminds me of 10YO Aberlour at this point) and then has a sweet finish, quite a ride!

9. Comma

Comma Member

Birthday haul!

Tamdhu!
    J.Walker Green Label!
    Laphroig! (Not at home at the moment, so can't tell which one off the top of my head)
    Caol Ila!

and... a foosball table! (Somewhat related I guess)

10. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Nice! Perhaps your benefactors hope you will have a few scotchs and be a soft target at the foosball table.

Homer: 'That's soccer? All this time I was calling it human foosball'

11. Stang1

Stang1 Member

There are a few things that mix well with Laphroaig..

1) water
    2) more Laphroaig and
    3) Drambuie -> this is awesome on a cold day/night

12. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

You obviously didn't read my post at all. I don't even drink whisky, doesn't mean I don't buy it though and doesn't mean I don't know little bits about it.

You didn't even reply to my question. Honestly have you tried it? Most people don't enjoy it until they learn the taste of whisky and their senses develop.

13. connico

connico Member

So.. if you want whisky and coke.. ill swap all your single malt whiskey for johnnie black...

Its like saying you know red wine is red wine it all taste the same. Ill just mix a Henschke Hill of Grace into a Sangria....

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  14. jmart38

And you obviously didn't read mine. Being a snob about a drink made to be enjoyed is stupid. How one person enjoys the drink is up to them. If he likes it with a mixer, good for him.

It's like debating over which sex position someone prefers, and then telling them "no, you can't do that, this way is better".

What are you going on about? I didn't say it all tastes the same, in fact I specifically said I can easily tell the difference between red label and black label Johnnie Walker...

I like whiskey, I like it on it's own (without ice) and I like it mixed with cola, sars, lemonade, ginger ale. I also enjoy the taste of vodka, and brandy. What's the issue here?

15. connico

connico Member

The issue here is, if your like other ppl on this thread that gives a good single malt the same treatment as johnnie red and coke... than you should just give me your single malt and give you red.... that all im saying... there isnt any taste difference...

16. jmart38

Didn't I just state that enjoy whiskey both straight and mixed?

And no, I've never tasted two different whiskeys in a mixer and had them taste the same.

I can easily tell the difference between these low end whiskeys...

Jameson + Cola
    Johnnie Red + Cola (Don't like)
    Johnnie Black + Cola
    Dimple + Cola
    Chivas Regal + Cola
    Canadian Club 6 + Cola
    Canadian Club 12 + Cola
    Wild Turkey + Cola
    Wild Turkey 101 + Cola
    Jim Beam + Cola (Don't like)

I can also taste the difference in brands of vodka with mixers...
    Absolut
    Smirnoff
    Smirnoff Import 50%
    Russian Standard
    Russian Standard Platinum

None of those mixes make me think this "there isnt any taste difference"

If I can taste the difference between a CC 6 and a CC12, or a Turkey and a Turkey 101... then why can't you?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  17. connico

connico Member

I call BS..

18. jmart38

If you can taste the difference straight, why not mixed?

Not sure if trolling or stupid.

19. Grom Hellscream

Grom Hellscream Member

There can be HUGE variance in whiskey, mixed or unmixed, and I can tell the difference either way between the few I regular.

Black Douglas
    Chivas Regal
    Grants
    Glenfiddich 12yo S/M

I tend to mix with dry ginger, and I can tell you which one I'm drinking just by tasting it. And yes, I will buy a $75 bottle of single malt and mix it if I damn well want to because I like it.

And let's face it, I wouldn't call a <$100 bottle of whiskey "fancy".

EDIT: I feel dirty just saying it, but I agreed with jmart on something. :lol: Guess you can't fight logic.

20. jmart38

When I checked my subscriptions, and saw your name. I was expecting to call you a knob.

I was surprised :lol: