OCAU Whisky appreciation

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by xian, Nov 22, 2005.

1. tzortst

tzortst Member

talisker 10 would be my choice around that price point, with an strong peaty taste, if that is too peaty maybe a highland park 12

2. Taceo Corpus

Taceo Corpus Member

Agreed, the HP is a good lower-peat choice, but I'm a peat addict, so I'd take the talisker any day. :lol:

3. timme_v

timme_v Member

4. tzortst

tzortst Member

What are people's daily's?

Don't really have one, but are drinking more and more, and getting a little expensive :|

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  5. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

I always have a bottle of Laphroaig and Johnnie Green open. I guess you could say they are my regulars.

Just got back from overseas and bought back a bottle of Lagavulin 16yo and Glenmorangie Nector D'Or.

I've tried the Lagavulin before but haven't had it for a while and cost is usually prohibitive down here (rarely goes on special) so I grabbed it as there wasn't much else that interested me at KL LCCC.

The Nector D'Or is delicious. Can really taste the sweetness from the sauternes casks on the aftertaste.

6. karmic

karmic Member

I've got some Johnnie Green put away in my 'do not open' collection. Since they aren't making it any more I'm hoping it might be worth something 5-10yrs after stocks run out.

7. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

I've not tried the legend, but bowmore (10? 12?) started me out on smokey malts.

I have all my bottles open and almost randomly choose. Last night ardbeg 10.

8. karmic

karmic Member

I usually just grab a random bottle from my shelf and stick it on my 6-bottle carousel in the kitchen. These last me a few weeks before empty :p

Currently have GlenDronach 12, anCnoc 12, Pigs Ear and Bunnahahain 18, with some JB and JB Honey for the missus.

Kyle

9. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

Yeah. I have around 3 bottles left but notice a lot of places still have stock so I think I'll still be able to buy a few more bottles here and there.

10. HeXa

HeXa Member

I have a few open that I drink depending on mood

glenfiddich 12/15, glenlivet 12/15, laga 16, laph 10

the first 4 I buy from regular trips to China... half the price of syd duty free

11. ThE_BiG_O

ThE_BiG_O Member

I usually find I have around 6 bottles open at one time. Just depends on what I feel like drinking, what the weather is like, and what mood I'm in. I try not to buy the same thing over and over again, just to keep things fresh and interesting. There's so much out there to explore.

At a minimum I like to have at least 1x heavy peated (usually an Islay), 1x lighter (often Speyside), 1x cask strength, and 1x Australian whisky to choose from. That gives me enough variety to keep me happy. When one bottle runs out I replace it with something in the same category/flavour profile but from a different distiller.

12. sam_allen

sam_allen Member

Glenfiddich 18 or 21. Also have a a MackMyra Moment Glöd i'm going through at the moment.

13. XAJIM

XAJIM Member

I'm not a daily drinker but Ardbeg 10 is my staple when I do decide to. Caol Ila and Laphroaig are next in line. As you can see my preference is towards the peaty Islay types.

14. young_einstein

young_einstein Member

Not particularly original, but I usually have bottles of Monkey Shoulder and Canadian Club Classic 12yo on standby as my 'everyday drinkers'.

That said, I always make sure to keep a few more bottles on the go for whenever I feel like something a little bit different.

Right now those consist of Aberlour A'bunadh (my new favourite), Glenlivet 18yo (my old favourite), Ardbeg Uigeadail & Jura 10yo.

A couple of those are starting to run dangerously low at the moment though, so I'm looking at Glenmorangie (Lasanta or Nector D'or) and Laphroaig Quarter Cask as the next bottles to add into the rotation.

15. HeXa

HeXa Member

sad times.... my bottle of laga is almost dry :upset:

need a $75 sale again :D

EDIT: well bugger me - $79.95 at DMs :thumbup:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  16. Falkor

Falkor Member

Going back to this, I was at a big liquor store here in NYC yesterday and saw this and thought i'd snap a pic for you.

[​IMG]

Pretty cheap :lol:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  17. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

"Less than 20 days old" - I assume from distilling to bottling (Jar-ing?) the opposite of most age statements.

18. Falkor

Falkor Member

30 days! correct yourself thankyou very much sir :lol:

19. Febs

Febs Member

Haha, thanks! Good old US liquor prices. :lol: (Jealous...)

I'm planning an order of a bunch of samples from Master of Malt (via the US if they don't sort out Aussie shipping soon -won't be too expensive for ~15 or so samples) and one of them is the Georgia Moon. $4.something for a sample...not sure I'll actually finish the whole 30mL. :lol:

Cheers,
    - Febs.

20. millsy

millsy Member

Bit late on the reply here (man it's been that long since I was on ocau?) but I love it! I wish I had the money to buy it more often but it's definitely one I'd go back to :)