1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

OCAU's Next Hosting, AKA, Secure PHP on AWS

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Agg, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daemon

Daemon Member

Without any offence to Agg / OCAU, it's not the type of platform that needs some automatic failover or complete spare DR platform. It's a website and forum, this is simple to maintain high uptimes for. The reality is, Amazon (and other infrastructure providers) can do a better job of maintaining uptimes for systems because they have entire teams to do it.

That's not to say "dump it on Amazon and forget about it". As you can see from Agg's notes already, he's already look at snapshots and replication of data.
    This makes no sense whatsoever. Anyone who thinks that a hybrid cloud solution with automatic failover is either cheap or simple is in for a world of hurt. The costs and implementation time would be astronomical for a small entity.

In more relevant news, I hadn't released that Amazon have opened up Aurora for a public preview: http://aws.amazon.com/rds/aurora/ I've yet to try it, but it looks to be a perfect fit for what OCAU requires.

2. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

I saw the Aurora announcement during the AWS Summit and was impressed by it, but at the time there didn't seem to be lower-end instances of it, only fairly expensive ones.

3. Daemon

Daemon Member

My apologies, I hadn't even looked at the pricing. If they release a few lower end variants it'd be a great match for quite a few businesses then.

4. DTG

DTG Member

Another hands off options might be Micron21. (Don't judge them on their older web design)

We use them at work for our DC links and they have been fantastic. I know they do much larger complete solutions (Melbourne's White night etc) and can do dedicated/virtual/hybrid managed or hands off.

Not sure what you budget is but network/DDoS wise they are pretty affordable.

5. tin

tin Member

They offer a free plan for tightarses - the same tightarses who use the cheapest, nastiest web hosting they can find... Free ad for Cloudflare every time the remote host is down. :D

6. hosh0

hosh0 Member

Don't move to AWS OCAU! Support our own members first, some get Luke212's attention there are white boxes to be sold here!!!

7. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Not sure what they are like, but not that long ago (and potentially still) Facebook were using Akamai for DDOS mitigation.

If memory serves me correct though, it was before they went fully custom with their own platform (and PCs).

IBM are partnering to resell Akamai services, so they can't be too bad at all.

FWIW regarding the Micron21 recommendation, they are the only Data Centre Operator in Australia that is currently aiming for international certification as Australia's first Tier 4 data centre.

8. NSanity

NSanity Member

LOL.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

9. Daemon

Daemon Member

Bzzzzt. Incorrect. There are already certified Tier 4 DC's in Australia and many built to the spec (but not certified). Micron21's system is very good but there are others which are at the same quality.

10. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Ahem:
    http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/562234/micron21-considers-tier-iv-data-centre-certification/

Article is 3 days old :)

GlobalSwitch, Equinix, and even the new government one in Silverwater are only Tier 3 standard.

11. Daemon

Daemon Member

Looks like I'm incorrect, I know there are some built to IV standards but it seems the talk of certification didn't eventuate. It's costly and you need to be operational for a certain amount of time before seeking the certification. You need 2N for everything, which is at massive expense and efficiency loss.

"Only" Tier 3. Personally I see no valid reason to use a Tier 4 DC over a Tier 3 anyway. If your infrastructure is that critical then you'll want geographic and carrier diversity, which aren't provided by any Uptime standards.

12. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

There's every chance the news is only pretty recent, given I only read of it the other day.

Could also be the case that many are "3.5" if you like, or as you say, uncertified T4's.

13. James-Micron21

James-Micron21 Member

Dear All

James here from Micron21

Its very recent.... In fact we have started engaging with Uptime Institute who are the governing body for certification seeking tier 4 design and construction certification.

Last Friday we made the decision to proceed with the certification processor, if we succeeded this would make us the first certified tier 4 facility in Australia.

The actual process is fairly long winded plus we are currently in the middle of a massive expansion adding in even more redundancy to our existing operation.

if you have any questions please just ask.

Kindest Regards

James

14. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

Yes, my question is why are you bothering?

It would make more sense from a customer perspective (IMHO) to use two geographically disperse sites, if that sort of 'uptime' was needed.

Don't call them T4's that relates to ASIO T4 physically certified locations - normally DC's. (T4 is a historical name, resurrected still in use today)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  15. chewbucca

chewbucca Member

I work for Rackspace (Windows SysAd). I sit 20 feet away from our Linux support guys so if you have any questions please let me know and I'll ask..

16. James-Micron21

James-Micron21 Member

Dear IACSecurity

Tier 4 Certification is important due to the nature of our business and clients we support, especially for those clients who are looking for a single site solution, with maximum redundancy. Our business model is very different to most datacenters as we don’t sell full racks within our facility where our core service is managed RU co location space.

For us having the maximum amount of physical security, power, cooling and network redundancy is extremely important, and tier 4 certification allows us to be externally audited on what we are currently building.

That being said I also absolutely agree with you in geographically separating infrastructure across diverse facilities and see this as an essential part in building mission critical highly available eco systems. In fact we have a service called our Geo HA IP service which does exactly this providing the same external IP address across two or more physical datacenters for clients who want real time fail over.

Kindest Regards
    James

17. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

So we've got our outage notification. Was AWS the winner? Whats the story behind it?

18. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

All will be revealed once the dust has settled. :)

19. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.