Ocean Moonrise

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by LINUX, May 4, 2007.

1. LINUX

LINUX Member

Still working on my HDR processing skills. This pic has been over-processed to oblivion.

Source images were a series of 7 shots from 4s to 480s, ~1ev appart but didn't keep it strict.

Wallpapers available further down, in this post: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=7263124&postcount=16
    [​IMG]

C&C would be nice, but really I just want to try to share the beauty in this one :). Yes, I know about the lens flare.

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  2. momita

momita Member

so surreal. i like it :) might have to give this hdr a try once i get a tripod :)

3. Ploddy

Ploddy Member

Dude! I think I saw you take this!

I was driving home from work along the coast road, passing Merewether there was a guy taking shots of that awesome scene.

Man, I wish I had my camera with me, now I see what I coulda got...

Great work!!!

PS: Of course, if ou live at Dudley, you may have taken it from there, but my bet is its Merewether near the carpark...

4. OP
    OP
    LINUX

LINUX Member

:) Hooray for enthusiasm! Just expect about as many failed shots as you'd get if you were just starting out processing B&W film :p. Oh, and if you don't have a remote shutter release then it's really hard too.

If you want any help using/finding the open source tools PM me.

He he, it seems that someone else got a similar shot then ;). This is taken from the lookout on the Bombala St track in Dudley, I go there a lot because it's all of 5min walk from my house.

I saw some fishermen down on the rocks (you can see them on a 100% crop actually) and my first thought was that you were one of them and had seen random torch flashes from up on the cliff :p.

5. Rational

Rational Member

Very nice picture, look at all of the ships waiting to come into Newcastle :eek:

6. WolfenBits

WolfenBits Member

I counted 41 yesterday :)

7. OP
    OP
    LINUX

LINUX Member

Where from? From the Dudley Bluff you can see almost all of them although I've never bother counting. Apparently there are ~60-70 waiting right now.

Oh, and thanks for the bump :). I wanted this shot to get some more "air-time".

8. WolfenBits

WolfenBits Member

From Caves Beach I can't see some of the northern ships because Redhead/Dudley bluff has it's big arse in the way :p

9. ea_recoil

ea_recoil Member

Great picture!

10. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

It's a great shot. I think it could be better if you get rid of that streak that goes through the top of the frame, it gets a little distracting. Also I think this would be an even better shot if you could process those stars to the right of the shot to make them stand out more and saturate that green patch just a tiny bit.

Nicely done.

11. Ploddy

Ploddy Member

From my view today (King Edward Park) there were 51. But I couldn see past about Merewether.

12. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

awesome pic. would make a great desktop background

13. OP
    OP
    LINUX

LINUX Member

Mostly things I tried doing, but my PP skills let me down. The green bit has a lens flare on it (from the 480s exposure) which really starts to stand out when you bump the brightness/saturation. The streak is a cloud, so it stays for honesty. If I didn't like it it needs re-shooting on another night. And yeah it'd look much better with more prominent stars but again a lack of PP stops it.

As it stands this is the first HDR I've taken that's kinda worth looking at, so it's a big achievement for me :).

Would you like a specific res?

14. Ghoatman

Ghoatman Member

Excellent photo, the ship's lights make it imo. :D

I agree, would make an awesome desktop background. :shock:

1920x1200 if you could, please! :D

15. DUO

DUO Member

That pic looks so sureal. Looks great

If you are doing wallpapers - 1680x1050 please ;O

16. OP
    OP
    LINUX

LINUX Member

[size=+3]Wallpapers:[/size]

If you spread these around please give credit where credit is due:
    Taken and processed by Brenton Schulz, Brenton.Schulz AT newcastle.edu.au

1920x1200
    http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q3/biogenesis_photo/Moonlight-1920x1200.jpg
    1680x1050
    http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q3/biogenesis_photo/Moonlight-1680x1050.jpg

The tone mapping is slightly different in these, the algorithm has a spatially-dependant component so when you apply it to different sized images the results change. This was applied to the full res image, then resized. IMO this version actually looks a bit better :). The green bit is slightly more saturated and the stars are more visible.

A full res (6.3MP), hot-pixel removed file is available if you want to make a print, but I wouldn't mind a token payment (Like, < $10). This image took about 40mins to photograph, and a couple of hours to process.

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  17. DUO

DUO Member

holy jebus - the detail in the big pics is awesome - its like the sky is raining stars ;P

18. OP
    OP
    LINUX

LINUX Member

Yeah, the 18-55mm kit lens has fairly nice center resolution wide open, here's a 100% crop, not bad considering the longest exposer was 8mins :p. It was quite a calm night so the tripod was nice and stable, the lookout platform it was on wasn't the best though so I had to be very careful when walking around. This shot is without any sharpening, raw converted.

[​IMG]

19. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

Nice dude.

20. duck_boy

duck_boy Member

thank for the nice wallpaper :thumbup: