OCM Comp: Hello Kitty PC (Completed 28 Feb 2008)

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by nin82, Jan 17, 2008.

1. nin82

nin82 Member

Hello Kitty PC

My 9 year old niece loves hello kitty, so this case mod will be her birthday present, along with a computer to go in it, as the computer she plays around with now isn't really up to the task anymore, a p3 600 if I remember correctly.

The mod will be fairly simple: a window and some lighting, the paint job will consist of a lot of pink paint. Hello kitty will make her appearance in a window etch, on the power button and on an acrylic cutout on the non-windowed panel.

I'll be keeping the mod fairly simple to try and finish before the end of January, as I'll be on holiday for most of February :p My niece's birthday is in March, so I'm hoping things will progress fairly smoothly without any holdups.

This is the worklog of my modding project entry for the OzCaseModz...
    OCM Modding Competition 2007/08

Project: Hello Kitty PC

Completed pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Further completed photos on pages 4 & 5.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2008
  2. OP
    OP
    nin82

nin82 Member

And now onto the case to be modded.

Originally purchased off ebay nearly a year ago for the princely sum of $2 (+post) we have a 'Compaq Professional Workstation AP200'. It is quite sturdy and heavy, I had forgotten how heavy it was until I went and moved it into the shed to start work on it. It had been sitting as my footrest for nearly a year now :roll:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The internals...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The green and yellow plastic things around the 5.25" bay are what locks the drives in position, like a tool-less drive system but only for the 5.25" drives, yet also allow quick removal for switching the case from desktop to tower mode, the drive bay covers can also rotate as well, with instructions on how to do it on the inside of the side panel. I think it is quite impressive for something that's circa 1999 as stamped on the inside of the main panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Disassembly was quite simple as the case really only consists of four main parts: Front panel, side panel, 'inside' and 'outside'. The 'outside' consists of the top, side and bottom of the case which is one single piece of steel with a few bends in it. The 'inside' consists of, well, everything inside and is held to the 'outside' with screws. There are no cheap pop-rivets in this case at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It begins. With the case disassembled, work was started with removing all the stickers and gunk on the case, the steel components were given a quick sand and then prepared for painting with a coat of penetrol. Originally purchased to fix some a small patch of rust on the shed I still had most of the can left and figured I might as well use it on the case :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to let that stuff dry and hopefully I'll be able to get some more work done tomorrow.

Costs so far: $12 (case $2, can of penetrol $10)

3. OP
    OP
    nin82

nin82 Member

And now onward with some progress...

Hello Kitty. This will be the template for what will be an acrylic cut-out and the window etch.

[​IMG]

All of the acrylic that I'll be using was purchased from Reverse Garbage at West End in Brisbane. Very very cheap acrylic, although coloured acrylic was hard to find amongst what they have. They mostly have clear, white and grey stuff. This white offcut sheet about 860mm x 440mm cost $10 :D

[​IMG]

Using a trace of the hello kitty template, the acrylic was marked up and cut. I'll be using white for the face and flower, yellow for the centre of the flower and nose, and black for the eyes and whiskers. As I couldn't find any pink acrylic at reverse garbage, I'm going to have to use white and then paint it.

[​IMG]

This was pretty much the only piece of yellow acrylic that I could find, cost : $3.50 8)

[​IMG]

As you can see, someone already cut a few letters out of it.

[​IMG]

This black sheet of similiar dimensions to the white sheet cost $11.30. Only used a fraction for the eyes and whiskers.

[​IMG]

Making sure the eyes are fairly equal, wouldn't want our kitty to look funny with one eye bigger than the other.

[​IMG]

All the edges have been cleaned up with a sander attachment to a rotary tool and then final sand by hand with a fine sandpaper. The here we have the end result compared to the image template.

[​IMG]

I'll be gluing all these pieces together eventually but before I do that, I'll be using them as stencils to mark out hello kitty for the window etch.

Costs so far: $22 (half a sheet of white acrylic and other offcut pieces $10*, case $2, can of penetrol $10)
    * = estimate

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  4. OP
    OP
    nin82

nin82 Member

Stock standard square hole for the window was cut into the side panel with a jigsaw and then cleaned up with the angle grinder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These two pieces will be for the window etch, the $7 piece is 10mm thick, whilst the $15 piece is about 5.5mm thick (I'll only be using half of the 5.5mm thick piece). I would've liked two 10mm thick pieces, but I couldn't find another large 10mm thick piece at reverse garbage :(

[​IMG]

You might be asking "Two pieces?" Well what I'm planning on doing with the window is to have two different colours in the window etch. Proof of concept with some other 10mm plex offcuts... The first 'N' is a bit rough, was my first time using a router :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would've liked two 10mm thick pieces so that I could do the window etch with 5mm LEDs, but I'll just have to use 3mm LEDs on one panel.

One thing I should've checked first was to check the clearance between the side panel and the drive cage... It's only about 5mm, which means that I'll have to mount the window on the outside of the panel :x

[​IMG]

Mounting the window on the outside will look a bit untidy, especially when it will be lit up, so I'll be using these leftover aluminum strips from my first window mod to tidy up around the edges of the window panels.

[​IMG]

The red strip of plex is for a frame around the front edges of the window.

[​IMG]

Hello Kitty marked up for the window etch :p The left panel of hello kitty will be lit up with 5mm white LEDs, whilst the ribbon will be lit up with 3mm red LEDs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close-up of the etch, I'll be wiring up the white LEDs a bit later (hopefully tomorrow), but I'm going to have to wait until ebay delivers me some super bright 3mm red LEDs

[​IMG]

Just simple drilling into the side of the acrylic for the LEDs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also made up some case feet, with 5mm super bright pink LEDs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also started on the painting, the inside will be plain white... white was the only colour that I'll be using that had on hand, I'll have to go and buy some more tomorrow as well :p

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Outside panel has been sanded, primed, given a coat with spray putty and then sanded again.

[​IMG]

Costs so far: $42.55 (1 sheet of 10mm clear acrylic $7, half a sheet of 5.5mm clear acrylic $7.55, half a sheet of white acrylic and other offcut pieces $10*, case $2, can of penetrol $10, leftover can of white spray paint $6*)
    * = estimate

5. OP
    OP
    nin82

nin82 Member

I should also add that the etched sides will be facing each other, so that when you look at it from an angle the picture will not be distorted as you can probably tell from the angle shot of the test piece. Hence, the side panels pictured will fold like a book to face each other.

Today I managed to get a bit of work done, well I actually ended up spending about 3 hours doing it, it was a bit fiddly...

I used a dab of hot glue to hold the white LEDs in place. I'm using 16 x 5mm white LEDs, I've had these for a while now and can't remember how much I paid for them, I think they're about the 17000 mcd in brightness, which are on ebay for abour $8 for 100... so say about $1.28 for the 16 of them...?

[​IMG]

Resistor values were worked out (although I just used ones that I had on-hand that were close enough, my local dick smith was closed at that time..) and soldered in, I'll be running these white LEDs at 20 mA from the 12V rail.

[​IMG]

All wired up and working

[​IMG]

And then backing paper was removed to reveal the glowing hello kitty :p

[​IMG]

Costs so far: $44.05 (16 white LED's + resistors $1.50*, 1 sheet of 10mm clear acrylic $7, half a sheet of 5.5mm clear acrylic $7.55, half a sheet of white acrylic and other offcut pieces $10*, case $2, can of penetrol $10, leftover can of white spray paint $6*)
    * = estimate

6. oldnewby

oldnewby Member

That just looks terrific.

7. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

I WANT ONE! I'm 21 and male but still, best mod ever and its not even complete.

11 out of 10 for awesomeness.

8. nelson92

nelson92 Member

awesome mod

9. slamaa

slamaa Member

Hey nin, nice to see more OCM comp worklogs, I'm the only one so far.
    As i said over at OCM nice work.

cheers
    slamaa

10. Tankii

Tankii Member

that is absolutely brilliant! i.. have no other words! just fantastic!

11. Eggbert69

Eggbert69 Member

Awesome mod. I bet your kid will love it. Good work

12. jlien

jlien Member

man thats awesome, look forward to seeing how this pans out.

13. -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Very nice effect goin on with the LED's...

I dont really understand how it works, but it looks mighty shmick.. :)

14. slamaa

slamaa Member

Basically, he's routed some channels into the plex, and got some LEDs shining through the plex from the side, when the light hits the channels they light up.

Pretty simple and very affective.

15. jamesl33t

jamesl33t Member

Whoa!! That looks fabulous!

16. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Thats awesome! I would so rock a Hello Kitty PC. Looking forward to seeing the final result :)

17. OP
    OP
    nin82

nin82 Member

Thanks for the comments guys :D Hopefully I will have some more progress by the end of this weekend. Unfortunately ebay hasn't yet delivered me the super-bright red LEDs that I need to complete the rest of the window :( Still plenty of things to do...

Exactly what slamma said :cool: Just routed a 'V' channel into the plex, and used super bright LEDs shining in from the side. As the the light hits the rough edge of the channel, the channel lights up.

I did try routing a square 'U' channel on a test piece, but it didn't work quite so well.

18. gwills

gwills Member

Far out ! thats awesome !!! cant wait for more !!

19. Jamson

Jamson Member

Wow. Well done!

20. OP
    OP
    nin82

nin82 Member

Weekend progress update time!

Firstly, a HUGE thanks to sethnmalice from Oz Case Modz for sending me this piece of pink/plum acrylic :D Not only was I able to make the big flower, there was enough to make up a few smaller ones as well.

[​IMG]

And the acrylic hello kitty for the non-windowed side panel is complete :leet:

[​IMG]

And more acrylic flowers. The original white acrylic one that I made up previously and these ones that were made up from offcut pieces will eventually go on the front and top panels.

[​IMG]

And now onto the front panel, it's not complete yet as it's taken me a few weeks deciding on what to do, but I'm happy with what I've come up with. We'll start with these...

[​IMG]

I bought these from the Hello Kitty shop at Toowong, Brisbane for $14.95. From what I saw on the packaging, you put these on top of your sauce bottles. Haven't tried them on top of a sauce bottle because they don't fit any of the bottles I have at home...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be using one of them for the power switch. First, off with kitty's head. Cut away from the hinge and removed the 'paws' and then tidied up with a rotary tool.

[​IMG]

Mounting it was a bit tricky as I didn't want to alter the original setup too much. Sticking it straight on top of the original button wouldn't work as the kitty head is too big to be able to push the button. So to mount it, I tried using the leftover a hinge piece and the rod as a spacer.

[​IMG]

The concept worked and decided to replace the hinge piece with an offcut piece of pink plex. I know it sticks out a bit, but hopefully it won't stick out so far with a few of the small flowers placed around it. The original power button will get painted white and I'll also fill the bottom in too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Continuing with the flower theme, there will be a part of a large flower on the bottom. To make it, I've removed this bottom cover on the front panel (it just pops in and out).

[​IMG]

Yellow acrylic was measured, cut and then heat bent so that it sticks out from the front panel. Another piece of white acrylic was also cut to form the petals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now to the top of the front panel. The bezel that goes around the 5.25" drives was removed as it was, well, a bit boring.

[​IMG]

This left a gap at the top of the front panel, which is filled up with a piece of 10mm clear plex glued to a piece of 3mm clear plex.

[​IMG]

To which I've used the router to make a clean edge between the top of a drive and the front panel. Pink LEDs will go in later :wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]