1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Oculus Rift CV1

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Vladdo, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

I don't see what is specifically meant by "better hardware"? The Oculus is more comfortable to wear, but I wouldn't base a decision on that alone.

Oculus has ATW, but similar technologies will be implemented in engines and most likely come to Vive.

The Touch controllers are nicer than the Vive ones, but it's not like the Vive don't get the job done and work just fine.

The big one for me is a large area to move in with super accurate tracking and the Vive has it over the Rift in that department.

2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Where did you read that? Its wrong, I've used both and so have many other people.

People actually prefer the brighter and bigger FOV/screen. But a lot of people just don't notice a difference between the two so why imply that they do?

Also if we are talking about hardware in general? Oculus camera tracking is garbage.

ATW is for poor people who can't afford a good computer... but wait they buy a $1400 AUD headset :confused:. ATW and reprojection have one use, when the developer releases an early access game and it performs poorly in some areas because its unoptimised. If we didn't have ATW/Reprojection the developer wouldn't have released it in that shape.. so I think ATW/Reprojection can be bad.

I turned reprojection on my Vive off specifically so that I can fix a problem that means I'm not running at 90fps, because that's the premium experience for my premium priced headset.

Tracking is a huge disadvantage for the Oculus, it updates slower, requires 3 wired cameras as well...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  3. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

I agree with this, I just finished helping my partner build an art project for Uni where we built her childhood home from scratch to walk around in with VR.

I spent a lot of time making 100% sure that the engine maintained 95fps no matter what, every little drop in performance (even with reprojection) instantly makes me feel sick so I think it's a very important aspect for VR to ensure performance is one of the highest priorities.

4. bennyling

bennyling Member

Thank you for your opinions, they will be added to the soup and boiled while I decide which one to buy.

5. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

If you want to be able to get up and walk around in VR get the Vive. Works out cheaper, and the hardware comparisons are so close it's really not worth mentioning. Vive has everything you'll want, for less money.

6. cheddo7

cheddo7 Member

This. I loved my Oculus DK2, but when stepping up to the consumer release model, chose the Vive purely for the additional activity scope available at the time to enjoy with my 10yo son, plus I couldn't see the additional hardware required for the CV1 to reach room-scale potential as being available for the delta in cost of the two units.

If I was purely looking for seated experience it would be a no brainer decision.

Not sure of fanboy mentality, never was a Holden/Ford kind of person at all...

7. DEMONDOCTOR

DEMONDOCTOR Member

Are we still using the preorder thread as our only means of discussing Oculus on OCAU?

Well anyway... I bought Eagle Flight tonight and I fucking LOVE IT!
    I've only done a few levels and I already knew I'm pretty much immune to VR sickness or real motion sickness but if you're not worried about the hefty price tag definitely pick this one up!
    It's coming to Steam in december too if you'd rather wait. :thumbup:

8. SuperRoach

SuperRoach Member

to be honest even though I have it on a banana stand next to my monitor to make it easy to grab and use - I've barely used it in the past month. I'm waiting for oculus touch before investing heavy amounts of time in it again. I should give it a go to see what he performance boosts have been like (ATW)

9. emett

emett Member

Passing fad? Maybe not, but loads of crew have lost interest on most forms I visit.

10. andydev

andydev Member

It's here! and it's amazing! I played a few games and the controllers are great, they feel much intuitive to the hand than the vive ones.

[​IMG]

11. Sledge

Sledge Member

You keep telling yourself that :)

12. yoink

yoink Member

Awesome, really looking forward to getting mine.

Have you tried both?

13. Sledge

Sledge Member

No...
    Why should I?
    I'm a 1 eyed Vive supporter :)

14. andydev

andydev Member

I've tried both extensively.
    Both are good, but controls wise, the touch stays in top. It really feels like your hand, where the vive controllers feel like you're holding something in your hand.

15. tangcla

tangcla Member

I got confirmation that my order is ready to ship but haven't got the tracking number yet :upset:

16. War1910

War1910 Member

Same here - strangely, the Oculus ear buds I ordered at the same time are on their way...

fingers crossed the touch controllers get sent in the next few days - Christmas present!!

17. mrayner

mrayner Member

Got mine today! Thank god they were delivered while I was home getting lunch or I would've had to wait till Monday..

Only got to do the introduction, but WOW - so fun all ready.

18. War1910

War1910 Member

If you play Elite, it will blow your mind!

there's a lot of other games that come free with the headset that can give you an idea of what some of them are, and how you go with motion sickness as well.

19. Sledge

Sledge Member

Try Adr1ft

That will test you ...

20. emett

emett Member

Should I pick up a VIVE tonight?