Oculus Rift CV1

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Vladdo, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Xenomorph

Xenomorph Member

I have been considering getting a vive later on this year but at 1/2 the price this rift special is rather tempting. The special is available for the next 6 weeks?

2. Satriani

Satriani Member

was nearly ready to grab one... added to cart, shipping is $247 AUD!!!

umm...yeah.... nope.

3. insular

insular Member

i didnt get to checkout stage but amazon is never free shipping but usually not ludicrous either for one item. returns and warranty probably through amazon. but that's always a WHAT IF scenario where i'm happy to gamble and rarely fail.

but feel free to buy one at jbhifi to cover those costs of potential warranty and shipping if you like. let me know how much you pay.

4. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

Shipping is free from Oculus and they also pay shipping for returns. Or at least they did when I returned mine under warranty in January.

5. Duff Man

Duff Man Member

They say shipping free but I think the extra $50US they're putting on it covers this and probably some tax.

I'm buying one at the end of the month. Like I said earlier it will be around $680 AUS delivered with an extra sensor, and the more important warranty for an item this expensive.

Looking forward to it!

6. poleposition

poleposition Member

I was interested in buying one. I noticed the price calculated to about $578 aud? It says $449USD with the touch controllers.

I was wondering if anyone has been able to return for warranty if they are located in Australia? I heard oculus will only do returns to US Resident locations?

7. Duff Man

Duff Man Member

They will do returns for Australian customers if bought direct from the Oculus store.

No returns for buying a second hand one though as warranty is not transferrable.

8. Pic0o

Pic0o Member

Joined the VR Club

I squeezed on getting a kit thanks to the summer promo. Here in the states, we had some stock sitting in BestBuy stores for months and I got the next to last one. They rung it up for the $399 promo rate as it was also listed on the website as such.

Digging around I see the newly packaged summer kits don't come with the Xbox one gamepad. With that in mind, if you can get one from a store in the older packaging, you might end up getting a little more for your money. Granted I had been waiting some time and upon seeing the deal, I was ready to do.

I have a thread on my forums about using an Oculus Rift but I'm not looking to spam here. I don't run ads or anything on there and am a fairly long-time lurker here on these forums. I can say for the many games that ask for a Roomspace configuration, you should also try to get a 3rd sensor. The kit / combo will give you 2, but if you turn away from the main 2 (incredibly easy in VR since your spacial sense is augmented), your tracking will lose you to your back.

I've been rocking this since Saturday and filling my SSD with games and 'experiences' (read as: movies). Steam was a little bit of a challenge to get working, mostly because the tip about setting Oculus software to 'Allow 3rd party sources' took a little googling. I'm also having fun with applications that let me interact with my windows desktop environment.

I have been digging around to find other sources or interesting content that might not be or is hard to find on the 2 major app stores, being Oculus or Steam. I'm continuing to dig through the thread history for dank suggestions.

For reference, I'm playing on an i7-7700k, Z270 Motherboard, 32 GB of DDR4-3000, 980 GTX (Non-Ti, I had this card prior to this build), 512 GB NVMe SSD. I just did a new build recently and have no jank in any games, short of clipping when I change positions or play a standing game while seated. I also want to defend time formats by saying YYYY-MM-DD is superior. I agree on typical American time conventions being stupid.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  9. r8response

r8response Member

DD-MM-YYYY is the superior formatting.

10. tangcla

tangcla Member

I disagree, because you then can't sort things in numeric order. ;)

11. Sledge

Sledge Member

Date format isn't numeric anyway
    Dashes aren't numbers

12. tangcla

tangcla Member

Oh, also - if you have issues installing the Oculus desktop application, it's possibly because you have Windows installed on a dynamic disk. The installer will tell you it's a network error being unable to connect to the Oculus server (very generic message). I found out the hard way after a Windows reinstallation.

13. Duff Man

Duff Man Member

Doesn't sound like you're using the Oculus Tray Tool yet. You definitely need to use this to up the supersampling.

I'm using the same card but with the Dk2 and find it struggles when using supersampling. Definitely increases the picture clarity but at a cost of lowering graphics settings within game. This is where a better card will come in handy.

Oculus ASW is a game changer here and I can supers ample and mostly keep medium to high settings.

I'm mainly playing EliteDangerous and the supersampling and ASW do wonders for the game.

14. Pic0o

Pic0o Member

Very cool. Thanks Duff Man!
    I saw mention of the Oculus Tray Tool but thought it was no longer appropriate or abandoned since most posts about it were from last year.
    Found the OP with updated install link for Oculus tray tool. I'm giving that a run tonight.

So far the only game I saw with graphic in-game option was Chronos. I seem to be able to get away with High on the graphics without getting lower frames, but the effect settings dip me into glitch country.

This tool is pretty dope! Fixing the USB Power Management stuff is nice, in addition to the super sampling and Virtual HUD options I will play with after work. This is amazing with ASW mode Edit because playing Chronos is now High, Recommended, High on Rendering Quality, Shadow Quality, Rendering Resolution. Prior I saw some dropped with current settings from default recommended.

Thanks again for the info! :D

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  15. Zee

Zee Member

yyyy/mm/dd is the best. I use this on the end of each file I may (eg - the system files for automation systems I set up. Each change/update is the client's name with yyyymmdd at the end. It's so easy to find old files to recover stuff if needed.

Back to topic - how long is it taking for these to ship? I'm overseas until Aug 3, so don't want to order it and have the courier make 20 failed deliveries then send it back...

I deal with couriers far too often, I wish people would still send stuff over regular mail to PO boxes. It's so much faster and easier, I swear...

Z...

16. scon

scon Member

17. Zee

Zee Member

So.. Tried to buy one... Filled out all the info, and when I click on "complete order", I get about 5 seconds of activity, and then, no change. I just stay on the order screen... CC is all good, they claim to accept Amex, it just wont process. Multiple browsers tried... Hhmm... Anyone else get this?
    Is this a "forcing you to use Paypal" thing?
    Z...

18. Duff Man

Duff Man Member

A few months ago I tried buying some games using PayPal as my choice from there store. Could never get it to work. The icon would just keep spinning. Maybe not having a rift was causing an issue but I doubt it.

3 more days to payday and I'm finally putting my order in for a rift.

19. Xenomorph

Xenomorph Member

I ordered one 2 weeks ago with Mastercard and it processed fine, so you don't have to use paypal. You might have to open a support ticket or use a different payment option.

20. Zee

Zee Member

Hhhmm.. Amex is *the* option for various reasons. Including having enough points on Amex to make it a free purchase.. I could do it through Paypal which is also linked to my Amex, but man, the conversion fees with Paypal are horrid in comparison...

May have to do a ticket.. Argh...

Z...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017