1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Oculus Rift CV1

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Vladdo, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

This is actually wrong.

$1000 import mark is the sum of the cost of the goods, shipping and any other fee's required to get the goods from place of purchase to your door.

See here.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/GST...national-transactions/GST-and-imported-goods/

Fortunately electronics do not have an additional duty on top of the GST.
    Car Parts have an additional 5% on top of the GST for example.

Then there is a $50-$90 "Processing Fee" that customs charge for your order. $50 for electronic documentation and $90 for paper documentation. (i.e. proof of purchase invoices from supplier etc.

:D

$781 USD Shipping & Price
    $1114.62 AUD

$1226.08 AUD Inc GST
    $1316.08 Inc Customs processing fee.

And also the conversion rate is the rate on the day of customs getting the package. so if the AUD drops even more between now and March then it will cost even more.

I know this as I imported some parts to fix my car as I couldn't get them locally.

If the paperwork from the supplier is on the outside of the box and clearly states that cost + shipping is less than $999 AUD on the day of customers processing the corder then you pay $0.... Just saying.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  2. scon

scon Member

I don't share your pessimism. I think it's got the legs to be a thing now. I don't remember anyone except people selling/producing 3D actually being excited about 3D, this is different, this actually has legitimate people wanting it to succeed. Look how well the Dev Kits have sold even though they're not consumer products, we'll have a much better idea by the end of the year.

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Unless you are running QUAD-SLI GTX980Ti 's I don't see how you expect to have high FPS gaming on dual 4k screens, let alone 8k, no matter how small they are in size, the power required is the same..

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  4. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Wish i had the rig/money for this.
    Was really hoping that this wouldnt be so expensive. Not saying its not worth it, because it probably is.

Ill wait for the cheaper V2 for now i think. Or a second had unit (which will probably be expensive as fuck aswell).

5. roamin

roamin Member

wow i would love to see what specs your pc is in order to hold 50-60fps at 8k res. 4k and 8k will kill VR in a heartbeat when word gets out you need a $4000 pc in order to use them properly.

but in saying that, the price alone for the new rift is enough to make me not want to buy one, no way will i be paying over 1000 for an item i will probably get over in 48 hours.

i will wait till they all start to hit the 2nd hand market.

but as others have said, at a price point of over $1000 its not for the masses in general. that price point alone is enough to kill the VR scene.

6. Roger

Roger Member

I was super interested in the Oculus until it actually went up for pre-order, for me personally, the price for the unit itself is just too high for what I am willing to pay, especially considering that my CPU isn't fast enough (i5 3570K) and my GPU isn't either (ATI 7950) so I would be looking at probably another $1000 at least to replace Motherboard/CPU/GPU and maybe Ram if what I have isn't compatible with the new Motherboard.

Looking forward to what Sony are going to do with the Playstation VR, if they throw their support behind it, and price it accordingly, there will most likely be a decent playerbase for them which means more chance for development to really take off. Will it be as powerful as what the Oculus can do with a sufficiently powerful PC? Probably not, but as long as the experience is good enough and I can afford it, I don't really mind that much.

7. SuperRoach

SuperRoach Member

Just chiming in to say I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning to place the original preorder, and am in the March (28th) list. I do wonder if dates will be more concrete, or even some of the later preorders getting shipped forward and having a nice suprise due to the ebay scalpers being found and removed (good on them).

In terms of pricing, A lot of commotion has been generated and Palmer usually answers at least one question about it. The between the lines reading version is that there is a Sydney based prescence/store/shipping handler, that takes their cut as part of the shipping fee - which is why GST will likely be included evene if it was under $1,000. The minor good is that we should expect amazing shipping time. The bad is well, the most expensive shipping cost ever seen for shipping an item.

The DK2 Apparently also cost a lot to ship, but worringly arrived via Australia Post Domestic. The funny part with this is also that victoria (australia?) just had postage fees bumped up a large amount while speeds have been slowed down.

8. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

I agree, now that the Oculus is well out of my price range, the PS VR may be my ticket into VR.
    It wont be as good or perform as well, but it will probably be more widely supported and the experience would be more cohesive.

9. djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

I stand corrected,

it seems ridiculous that we would pay GST on shipping costs.. how ever that doesn't change that Oculus have stated that all shipping includes Local import costs.

This is probably due to them doing shipping the exact same (stupid) way they did the DK2.. They didn't listen to the complaints last time obviously, who ever is in charge of logistics should get a new job. (maybe stocking shelves at Coles)

Basically they ship it via container to an AU warehouse, then it gets shipped from that Syd warehouse via AusPost standard.. yeah you heard right... AUS POST STANDARD... that must be where the $130USD is going right?

What is more annoying, because they like to do it in 'Batches' for AU, last time even though I stayed up late and ordered had the 'first' shipping time but nope. waited 2 weeks longer for my order to 'process' than US people who ordered later than I did.

everything feels almost exactly the same as last time, this is my guess.

10. tunagirll

tunagirll Member

I missed the opening so my preorder isn't due until June.

On the upside, the OH will have a hard time one-upping his birthday present :D

11. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

I never said I could run it :) But you are also thinking about playing normal games in VR. It would work for purpose built games that are simpler.

I think it's safe to assume the CV1 will be just the 2K screen, I think the stuff I was reading was not correct as OculusVR know no-one has a PC to run 4K 90hz yet.

But with the new fab size in GPU's and what not, I see in the next couple of years VR with 8K screens, it's just not going to be great until we can do that. (imo of course)

12. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Looks like the shit Aussie pricing has garnered attention in the U.S:

Feel free to file a complaint with the ACCC.

13. proffesso

proffesso Member

im just happy zero latency got a quick mention :cool:

14. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Its interesting (and a huge dick move) that you can buy a plane ticket and fly to Melbourne for the cost of getting it shipped FROM Melbourne.

Honestly thought, Oculus probably couldnt give a goddamn shit about aussies. We are such a small market they wouldnt bother going out of there way to make things cheaper.

15. andydev

andydev Member

I preordered... $670 with tax.

Big expense, but for what I work hard anyway?

16. Coopz

Coopz Member

I'm peeved, my friend cancelled his preorder and I was hoping to have a play with it when he bought it:(

17. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

What an asshole.

Tell him to re-order so you can use it :lol::D:thumbup:

18. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

Anyone know how many games are supported by this? Cos $1000 a lot of its only a handful of games.

19. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Not alot of "Built for VR" games.
    You will probably find people modding games to work with VR after the fact, but those will probably be average at best.

If you are worried about software support, i would wait for Rift v2.

20. proffesso

proffesso Member