1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Oculus Rift

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Scroosh, Apr 16, 2013.

1. ADV

ADV Member

2. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Aww shit... and I was so looking forward to this... :(

Guess someone has to pay for Facebooks IPO.. Candy Crush Saga or Farmville in 3D..

http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/oculus-joins-facebook/

3. nikloas

nikloas Member

damn me :(

Can't wait to be gaming and having my notifications from FB spam all over my screen :(

4. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

Okay, well that's the end of OR then :( Was good while it lasted. Sony's VR is the best hope now.

5. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I initially thought it was some sort of april fools joke except a few days early. But it was a post shared by a friend from Mark Zuckerberg, so then figured, i'll go to the oculus website.. but sure enough it's confirmed there as well..

I can't help but think that somehow the development is going to change.

6. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

Facebook acquires Oculus Rift

[​IMG]

7. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

What in the actual fuck?

I've not really been following OR development, was quite excited about it none the less... This though, this is the single worst match up I've seen... What does Facebook want with VR technology and how are they likely to fuck it up?

edit: I just worked out their master plan

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  8. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Facebook paid $2 billion for the tech.. and there's additional bonuses for 'targets'..

Oculus should probably sell their worthless FB shares..

9. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Oh dear...

[​IMG]

10. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

11. r8response

r8response Member

Knee jerk reaction from Notch (too be expected from him) and just about everyone else.

I'll just wait and see before I throw my hands up in the air and have a cry about it.

12. HeXa

HeXa Member

even since the DK2 preorder opened, I've been resisting ordering one thinking I would wait to see Sony's headset abilities

still thinking I might preorder before FB f**ks with the hardware - hoping the rift stays open and not tied to a failbook platform

13. Xdemi

Xdemi Member

Well it was a good ride...

14. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

I haven't been keeping track of the development or the sale of the company, but do you think this might be an attempt by Facebook to start branching out into technology to try and become a behemoth like Google is? Could it be a possibility that Facebook buying the business might be a good thing, injecting cash into the development and hopefully giving us a consumer Oculus much earlier than anticipated?

Facebook have some pretty serious hardware behind them - have a look at their server farm

I just love the instant hate, and the best part was the irony of Linus announcing it on Facebook himself.

Who knows, this might be a step in the right direction for Facebook, expanding as a real competitor for Google.

Or not.

15. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Far too early to throw all the toys out of the cot just yet.

16. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

I think for many it's just a surprising shock... yeah there are benefits of more cash injected into it, but the downside of that is now someone higher than the current devs are calling the shots.

Facebook will be making drastic changes to make a return on their investment, they would have to... There's no way OR is worth $2 billion, that's half the value of the Star Wars franchise for a product that hasn't even entered the retail market.

What people are concerned about is given Facebook's past history, will this be for the better or worse... Many are hedging their bets it will be for the worse.

17. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

I guess that is a fair enough argument - I guess all we can do now is cross our fingers!

If not we always have Sony to fall back on :thumbup:

18. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

I guess with Sony and Valve keeping their cards pretty close on their own VR gear that Oculus might have seen themselves in a weak position to compete with that kind of capital.

Just such a surprise given the ethos and approach of Oculus seems to be the exact polar opposite of Facebook?

And 2 billion dollars is a nice payday for some blokes who started out strapping LCD screens to their faces.

19. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

You can bet your ass that if Valve had bought Oculus the internet would be singing praises to Gaben, because at least that would have been a logical acquisition.

20. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

I am surprised it wasn't google.