OCZ Vertex SSD

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by xsacha, Dec 11, 2008.

1. xsacha

xsacha Member

The previous OCZ SSDs:
    Core v1 (SATAII):
    30GB, 60GB, 120GB with Read Speed 153MB/s and Write Speed ~80MB/s
    Core v2 (SATAII + miniUSB):
    30GB, 60GB, 120GB, 250GB with Read Speed 170MB/s and Write Speed 90MB/s

The problem with these versions is that they have a random write speed of about 20MB/s. Also, when running an operating system like Vista from the drive you may experience stuttering or lag because there is no on-board cache.

These new drives (I thought they would be called Core v3) have onboard cache to remove the stutter and lag effect. 64MB of cache! :) They also improve random writes, like the expensive Intel drives. I wasn't expecting sequential writes to be so fast. 160MB/s! Wow!

If you want a cheap drive to boot your OS core files from, then this is the drive for you. I'm pretty sure it boots up XP in 5 seconds or less. Possibly 10 seconds maximum if you include from BIOS screen. This is vista booting on older Core v1's. When it actually gets to vista, it takes maybe 3 seconds max.

30GB for US$129, now just gotta wait for it to his Aus. Who wants this drive?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  2. Slavetonet

Slavetonet Member

Wait for reviews..
    Once someone reputable review site gets on it and many other confirms it and the price is cheap enough.
    I will want one or 2 for Raid 0.

3. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

That's with two in RAID mind you. Very impressive, but expensive. Actually that's the first hard evidence I've seen of real life benefits. I think a 120GB drive would suit me well as a system drive. All my Adobe applications will enjoy it. :thumbup:

4. OP
    OP
    xsacha

xsacha Member

It's not as crazy expensive as it used to be. Two 30GB drives would be ~US$250 when they are released or about AU$387.
    It's probably overkill though, I'd just go with one drive and pay the ~$AU190.

You have to remember that these new drives come with 32MB cache onboard (64 for the larger versions). The previous ones didn't have any cache which is why they stuttered and lagged when running an OS. Currently the only ones that have cache are the super-expensive Intel drives. This is a welcome change!

This means not just fast boot but zippy system all round without the lagg that SSDs used to get from sucky random writes.

5. saba

saba Evil Vizier

Small tiny cheap zippy drives?

OS/workspace RAID-0 material. I'll take four.

6. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Actually 2 x 60GB in RAID 0 would be $500 and there's 120GB right there. Now that sounds seriously attractive.

7. LeadAccelerator

LeadAccelerator Member

Capacities have gone from 32GB, 64GB, 128GB to 30GB, 60GB, 120GB, does this mean they are now measuring capacity the same way they do with HDDs so the number looks big but usable capacity is smaller?

8. OP
    OP
    xsacha

xsacha Member

The old version and the new version actually both have the same capacities.

What was happening is that only 120GB would appear as they reserve ~5% for wear. That ~5% can't be used so that there is always swapping space for their wear-levelling to work. Also, when sectors die they are replaced by the reserved sectors.

Imagine you have used 95% of space on your hard drive. You would have only 6 Gigs left spare. When files are rewritten over and over (for example, config files), the wear-leveller needs to remap the drive to use sectors that haven't been worn out. If it only has 6 Gigs to play with, you wear out very very fast! However, with 14 Gigs to play with it will last about much longer.

The posts you read how if you write continuously over the disk it will take X years to run out are based on the user not using their hard drive. Most people use it and there is only a few gigs free to swap around. If you continuously write to 6 gigs at the 160MB/s they claim, you will do a complete cycle in 37.5 seconds. Since it is MLC, the 6 Gigs would be dead in about 5 days with you writing 14TB/day.

EDIT: Also, I should throw in. Since those 8GB are RESERVED, it knows it can wear them all equally. If they weren't reserved and you hit your 10,000th cycle -- they would die all at once and you'd just suddenly lose 8GB. This would be very bad, hence the need to reserve them. If they weren't reserved, it would have to wear one out at a time so it didn't surprise you.

Of course, no one writes continuously to their drive though. Plus, you have a minimum of 8 Gigs playing space. Plus, more than 8 Gigs would have to die before you would notice a problem.

So a better example here is: Your drive is 100% FULL. You write 8GB to your drive every day. You will notice a problem in 27 years.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  9. figrin

figrin Member

me want.

Interested to see the performance difference between the 60G and 120G model (32M vs 64M of cache).

10. desertstalker

desertstalker Member

I want too, seems every time that I think about buying a SSD (was going to get a Core V2) they bring out a much better version.

I doubt there is much difference between 32 and 64 MB cache as HDDs showed little difference when moving from 16 to 32 and SSDs have much lower latencies than HDD.

11. Rezin

Rezin Member

What is the screen shown at 20 seconds in? I've got Vista Ultimate and I've never seen that logo/screen before.

12. eva2000

eva2000 DDR1/DDR2/DDR3 Addict

yeah wouldn't mind trying 8x of these on 3520LF controller :D

13. Dezza Bot

Dezza Bot Member

It's something custom.

a 30gb v3 sound like the goods for me.

14. Spludge

Spludge Member

> yeah wouldn't mind trying 8x of these on 3520LF controller

I hear these will be available in late January.

15. figrin

figrin Member

It should make a lot of difference when it's use in a MLC type SSD, just so they can pile up the random writes.

16. Polski Radon

Polski Radon Member

Did OCZ announce the Vertex during CES? I can't find any ETA news. Maybe 2-3 months?

17. gundersausage

gundersausage Member

18. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Yah its quad raid, i don't see why most ssd's couldn't come close when putting four of them in a raid setup.

19. ocyrion

ocyrion Member

Apparently they are shipping sometime in Jan, 2 x 30GB Vertex ones in RAID 0 would be nice for a dual Vista 64 / XP boot disk I reckon ...

Hopefully Australia doesn't take too long getting them. The Sandisk 3rd gen ones look promising too :thumbup:

20. Drew_

Drew_ Member

OCZ Vertex looks; depending on the landed price I'll get two for RAID for OS drive and two more for RAID for a scratch disk