Oettinger Pils

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by gtsman_05, Feb 14, 2008.

1. gtsman_05

gtsman_05 Member

2. Deanodriver

Deanodriver Member

Had a taste of this at a local Dan Murphys a few weeks back (beer tasting ftw). I didn't mind it actually, tasted alright for a cheap lager.

3. d_player33

d_player33 Member

You can get a case for $26 ATM.

Not tooo bad. Not great though. Doesn't really taste like a Pils to me.

Fairly malty and not very hoppy. No bitterness at all.

4. chicken-

chicken- Member

An average (generic) german import, pretty much inline with all the other cheap european imports being sold at other bottlo's. Better than most other (local) beers in the ~$20-30 price range, but isn't worth any more than that, and can't compete with anything above that imported or not.

I agree with d_player33, not what you'd call a definate pils without seeing the label, tastes more like a fairly easy drinking lager, worthwhile if you want something cheap and don't pay over low $30's at the most.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  5. zfind

zfind Member

This one's a staple of the beer-swillers in Deutschland, gets sold by the truckload as it's both cheap and quite nice. I didn't like it on it's own but went well in a jug of Shandy.

Shandy fuck yeah!

6. CoolerMaster

CoolerMaster Member

Got a mate who works at Dan Murphy's and he always grabs a carton of beer when he comes to my place. He bought round a carton of Oettinger the other week and I thought it was pretty good, especially for the price.

7. Albinus

Albinus Member

Pretty much my observation as well. There's some German tallies of wheat beer that Dan Murphy's sells that everyone around here seemed very happy with when I gave them some at Christmas - not cheap at $5 for 500mL but very nice indeed :)

8. zfind

zfind Member

On the subject, does anyone like (or has tried) Köstritzer? Deliciously heavy dark German beer.

9. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Iron Photographer

it's a bit warm for dark, heavy german beer right now isn't it?! :)

i'm gonna give my +1 for oettinger. lashed out and bought the case today, and gotta say, at a little over $1 a bottle, it's bloody good drinking. doesn't taste shitty/watery like other sub-$30 slabs of anything full strength. nice on warm days like today (and will go well with our impending bbq dinner tonight!) :thumbup::thumbup:

10. MCWB

MCWB Member

Yeah Köstritzer is a lovely schwarzbier, I wouldn't really call it heavy though. :)

11. MorbosuS

MorbosuS Member

i bought a case of this stuff last thursday.
    It was a good buy price/performance wise. Not great German beer however the concept was there :)