Off to New York City! (what are your suggestions?)

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Oppressa, Oct 12, 2014.

1. redslert

redslert Member

To travel around get a 7-day unlimited $31 metro card.

2. dogthinker

dogthinker Member

You've got a lot of art in there already but... The Met is pretty good.

It's particularly worth a pilgrimage if, like me, you consider Rogue Spear to rank among the best games of all time. I freaked out my ex by correctly predicting exactly what would be around numerous corners, despite never having been to NY before :lol:

3. OP
    OP
    Oppressa

Oppressa Member

Oh yeah man. I walked 80 blocks on Monday! And similar on other days! Having said that, the subway is fantastic.

I find that (as redslert said), 7 day unlimited metro card + Google maps in Transit mod + willingness to walk + little bit of Foursquare = best experience

Adding a few more pics now from the Urban Space pop up stands! I was on my way to Smashburger and lets just say I got sidetracked... so I at 3 lunches LOL! The freshly squeezed watermelon and lychee was fantastic.

The few pics start from here:
    http://imgur.com/a/b3Zje#122

This was the Connecticut lobster roll - butter and lemon :D
    [​IMG]

4. Falkor

Falkor Member

Sounds good dude

If you walk down John St in the Financial district I lived at #17 :lol:

Not that you care haha

Glad we could all collectively help out and give lots of great suggestions, been to any of the cool bars/beer bars/stores etc?

5. 5tumpy

5tumpy Member

That looks like an amazing place to live... Must have been pricey though!

6. Falkor

Falkor Member

$2495 a month for a 1BR, but its full service so doorman, gym, lounge and a awesome rooftop deck with a great view.

2 min walk to work and the convenience of the area makes it worth it, bars and restaurants all around and like 8 subway lines right in that area

Also the awesome thing about NYC is gas and water are included so the only bill we pay is electricity which in 3 years the highest bill was $50(for a month), but in winter averaged like $25 lol.

So overall, I don't think it was that pricey for what we got :) No parking though and my wife had to drive to work in Jersey, parking space cost us $350 a month which was cheap for NYC but because we are in the financial district parking is cheap as not many people live there they mostly survive on day to day parking people for business so any regular income from rented out spaces is a bonus for them

Edit: that was 2012-2013 though, I think they wanted to increase it to like 2800 if we resigned but I think now you'd pay $3100 or so for a 1BR in there.

7. OP
    OP
    Oppressa

Oppressa Member

More pictures added, starting here
    http://imgur.com/a/b3Zje#135

These types of businesses were all clustered together in the Bronx around the police station
    http://imgur.com/a/b3Zje#136

My favourite burger during my trip at Burger Joint in Le Parker Meridian hotel's lobby
    [​IMG]

And new favourite fast food burger, Shake Shack
    [​IMG]

The rolls at Thelewala were also insanely delicious
    [​IMG]

And I simply lost my shit at Smorgasburg which is on every weekend and features 50+ food stands of all varieties. Confit duck roll with pickled cabbage and spicy hozon dressing https://www.facebook.com/pages/Duck-Season/373385429505402
    [​IMG]

Slicing brisket
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  8. Zee

Zee Member

Oh dude, awesome stuff!This will be a reference thread in years to come. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Keep 'em coming!

Don't forget to check out Stumptown and Cafe Grumpy for coffee...

Edit - K'este in the village, fantastic pizza/Italian, be prepared to wait. We waited outside, in the middle of winter for 45 minutes. Worth it.
    Z...

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  9. dave-

dave- Member

Got a week planned early September, any recommendations for decent accommodation in Lower Manhattan around say SoHO/Little Italy/Bowery?

Everyone has said to use airbnb but any of the decent options don't appear much cheaper than a hotel? Last minute and peak season probably don't help but so be it. I'm there 6 nights so say upto $450AUD per night as a budget.

Once I've sorted that out, I'll work out how to fill a few days....

10. 5tumpy

5tumpy Member

I've said it in this thread already, unless you're staying with the owner in the apartment with you, NYC makes AIRBNB illegal... You will probably be fine, but the city waits and gets evidence before busting the place... So you could potentially get woken up in the middle of the night and kicked out on to the street... It probably won't happen, but it could... Not worth the risk IMO...

11. Falkor

Falkor Member

450 a night? That should be plenty for a decent hotel

I've previously stayed in Gild Hall in the Financial district which is a Thomson hotel and really nice, its right by like 8 subway lines, 2 min walk to Wall St and WTC.

http://www.offsoho.com/

This place is pretty decent too right by bowery and walking distance to LES/East village/Nolita/Soho etc right in the middle of it, just priced up a week in Sep and it was $199USD a night which is a pretty good price

12. OP
    OP
    Oppressa

Oppressa Member

While I cannot advise on specific places to stay, as 5tumpy has mentioned don't use AirBNB. I literally know of someone who paid for an apartment and turned up in NYC and the place didn't even exist! And it's illegal there as he said so can't really do anything about it!

If it helps, a friend just stayed at The Empire Hotel which is near Lincoln Center and it seemed like a really nice hotel...

13. dave-

dave- Member

Interesting, missed that in the thread. Think I was paying attention to the all the food stuff! Noted, thanks.

You'd think so. But Sept 7-13 must be the worst time of the year to be there based on the prices I'm seeing!

And really pricey! Cheapest room is $537USD a night. That offsoho place is $200usd but with shared bathroom? May as well stay with backpackers....

Best options I've found in the area so far are Tribeca Grand Hotel at $460AUD/night all taxes included and SoHotel at ~$420AUD. I could have a private villa on a beach with a fleet of servants for that!

14. Falkor

Falkor Member

Yeah, Oh woops I missed the shared bathroom part my bad. They do have rooms without that though but they must be full I guess

15. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

16. dave-

dave- Member

Couldn't agree more, I'd rather spend a lot less but don't want the cockroach hotel either hehe.

That Tribeca blu is around same price and looks ok, added to short list. Cheers.

17. 5tumpy

5tumpy Member

First 9/11 after the new WTC towers have opened mate... Would explain it...

Have you thought about staying across the River in Jersey or on Long Island/Brooklyn/Queens... Anywhere in Manhatten is ridiculously expensive!

When I was in NYC 2 years ago, I stayed on E 64th St, at the Affinia Gardens hotel... It wasn't flash, but was nice enough and pretty quiet too... 4.5 blocks from Central Park... Subways were all handy, sometimes had to walk a bit, but still easy enough... They are coverted apartments, so the one I stayed in was a 1BR apartment with kitchen, full sized fridge, living room etc... For most people that's not a big deal, but travelling with our daughter, it was fantastic!

I just priced it up for your stay and it was ~US$350 a night... So well within budget... I believe they've had a refurb since I stay there too...

18. dave-

dave- Member

Just my luck! Dates have been set by family so not much I can do there. Doing stuff with them most days so more convenient to spend the money on accommodation near them rather than staying too far away.

19. OP
    OP
    Oppressa

Oppressa Member

20. OP
    OP
    Oppressa

Oppressa Member

Final update with pics I took on the last day:

Album link to latest images
    http://imgur.com/a/b3Zje#170

[​IMG]

Brisket being cut at Mighty Quinn's Barbecue
    [​IMG]

I had two last meals (then went back for a third)... the brisket (amazing) on the left and ribs on the right then went back for smoked sausage. Then you can choose slaw, potato salad, pickled chilli, pickles, pickled red onion, pickled celery etc
    [​IMG]