Office 2010 (Tech Preview)

Discussion in 'General Software' started by the scotsman, May 18, 2009.

1. the scotsman

the scotsman Member

Just installed this onto Windows 7 (64-bit Windows, 64-bit Office :thumbup:)

I have to say I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far. Outlook now has the "Ribbon" interface similar to that of the other Office applications. Finding things was a little difficult at first, but as per all other ribbon apps, once you know where things are, it's a lot more productive :thumbup:

Colour scheme is a little bland atm, but I'm sure that will change.

One thing in Outlook that I'm very happy with is the ability to specify a folder for deleted items with IMAP accounts. I don't know how many times I've deleted an email accidently and not been able to get it back. :lol:

Also, if you have rules setup for an IMAP account, the folder that you direct mail to now shows it has new mail in it, whereas in 2007, it doesn't until you click on the folder (well for me anyway).

Outlook main window:

Click to view full size!

Outlook Toolbar "Orb" button:

Click to view full size!

Outlook Options:

Click to view full size!

All the other Office apps have the same Ribbon interface as before, just updated with the new "Orb" button and colours.

Oh and they all have a cool new animated splash logo :leet:

It integrates with the new Windows 7 jump lists too: http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/05/16/office-2010-optimised-for-windows-7

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  2. Guszast3r

Guszast3r Member

Looking good. Do you think they will include Office with windows 7 or make you have to buy it seperately as always?

3. OP
    OP
    the scotsman

the scotsman Member

lol...nah it won't be included with W7.

4. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

I can only imagine the tears that would be shed by Microsoft's competitors if they were to do that. They've been in enough trouble with "simple" apps like IE and WMP being included with Windows...

5. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

Only if they offered it as a specially priced bundle, with the standalone OS at a lower price. Otherwise the EU and antitrust lawyers would be standing by with stupid grins on their faces.

6. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Looks awesome. Office 07 is being deployed at work at the moment and i was tester for outlook 07 which was first cab off the rank (hehe also means get free copy of office 07 enterprise under HUP), been impressed thus far.

7. Fischbitz

Fischbitz Member

Geez I just finished Installing, patching etc Office 2007 pro in Windows 7 and then I get a copy of Office 2010. Don't know whether to remove 2007 and stick in 2010 or wait for a while before I install it :confused:

Cheers :D

8. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

Install one of them in XP mode? :)

9. yoink

yoink Member

With outlook, how are you liking the ribbon bar from a usability point of view? It looks to me like the send/receive button has been made a tab, how does that work?

10. OP
    OP
    the scotsman

the scotsman Member

Here's the Send/Receive tab:

Click to view full size!

That's one thing I found a little annoying. When in your inbox, you need to switch to the send/receive tab before you can press send/receive. Unless you use F9.

Luckily I use IMAP so don't use the button very often anyway.

Apart from that, the ribbon is working well in Outlook. As I said, it took a while to find things as it's all different, including the Options (as I posted above, the options are like other Office apps now).

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  11. yoink

yoink Member

Hmmm interesting... Is it possible to configure a send/receive button that does what the old one did, to appear on the main ribbon bar?

12. OP
    OP
    the scotsman

the scotsman Member

Actually, yep, the Ribbons are fully customisable...lol...only just tried playing with them. Now added send/receive to Home tab :D

Click to view full size!

13. yoink

yoink Member

Well that's good then, especially for a corporate environment :)

14. tojara69

tojara69 Member

15. TheOneWhoIsMany

TheOneWhoIsMany Member

You'll probably find that the majority of users who use Outlook are corp users and hence use Exchange and have no need for the send receive button.

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Just about to give it a whirl tonight actually.....should be interesting.

17. OP
    OP
    the scotsman

the scotsman Member

3 main issues...

Sending email from home doesnt work. Says it can't find my outgoing server. Works fine when I'm at work and I change it to my work mail server.

The envelope never shows in the system tray when new emails come in.

Windows Mobile Device Center (for Windows Mobile devices) doesn't recognise Outlook and so can't sync with mobiles.

18. >XaartaX<

>XaartaX< Member

So what new killer-features are in it (excluding UI changes mentioned so far.. which aren't killer features lol).

19. Mr. Bump!

Mr. Bump! (Banned or Deleted)

Office 2007 was one of the most painful experiences I've ever had hopefully it's an improvement over office 2008 Mac otherwise I won't be going anywhere near it.

I believe Office 2008 Mac is exactly the right compromise between new and old for the moment. I just find it quite silly that Microsoft have changed the font standard to Cambria instead of Times New Roman which is the industry standard. It's fucking annoying actually when you go to turn in a document and you realise that it's typed up in Cambria rather then Times New Roman. Really it just smacks of Microsoft breaking open standards again which doesn't surprise me. What were Microsoft thinking? Oh I have an idea... things will look prettier in Cambria... :rolleyes:

That said I've managed to get Office 2008 set up the way I like it so it's a good compromise with all the formatting sections in the right place and with all the new toolbars and etc so I don't see a reason to be moving from where I am right now just yet.

X file formats are also giving me the shits while I am at it, .docx, .pptx really was it necessary or was it change for change sake? Every time I save something in "compatibility mode" it saves everything fine, or was it more so to break compatibility with Open Office?

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Likewise, especially in supporting it for other organisations and individuals in the work environment.