Office 365 coming to AU Region

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by scrantic, Dec 9, 2014.

1. scrantic

scrantic Member

So the news came out overnight that Office 365 for Australian customers will be offered our of their Azure DC's with existing customers reportedly to be migrated back and new customers from March setup onshore. Will be interesting to see how this improves their adoption rates for those that have steered clear due to data sovereignty or latency and access so far.

http://www.theage.com.au/it-pro/clo...omising-data-sovereignty-20141208-122jt1.html

2. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

Doesn't change sovereignty issues, they just say it does because they want more people to buy it. It does solve latency. But they have offered direct fibre into the 365 world for their bigger customers for a little while now.. which helps DR and latency issues... though not as much as having a closer presense

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  3. Swathe

Swathe (Banned or Deleted)

Latency hasn't been a real issues for us but I'll take any speed gains available.

4. Camm

Camm Member

It does solve sovereignty issues for Government departments. Essentially the tl;dr is - approved vendor (tick), and data resides onshore (tick).

Won't be surprised if some mid sized agencies move to 365.

5. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

We are looking to move to 365 now that they are looking to get some AU services. Still not sure if i'm happy about it or not.

6. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

No it doesn't, it is still under the jurisdiction of the Patriot Act. Moving the physical location does not change that. As for if you can use it, it has been certified by an IRAP assessor to hold (cant remember) sensitive stuff, that is what will permit use by Fed Govt. agencies, along with transport level protection too/from the site via direct fibre, not random Internet/VPN.

7. lavi

lavi Member

[​IMG]

8. greebs

greebs Member

Yeah, although ours won't be moving (HK/SG based company), have no issues with latency at all.

9. OP
    OP
    scrantic

scrantic Member

True, Spent the last few days with MS guys touting it solves sovereignty issues and they were all excited. I was thinking about that aspect after reading a bit further on the matter today.

Reading about some of the current cases where US Gov are seeking data from servers in other countries and local Judges ruling in the US governments favour sovereignty doesn't mean shit & who knows what will end up in the TPP Agreement.

MS are at least standing their ground on the matter.

10. thetron

thetron Member

My emails wont be hosted in a Irish pub no more?

11. Cubix

Cubix Member

Last I heard Microsoft were still fighting their court case over this against the US governments request for data stored in its Dublin DC, pretty sure they have been in contempt of court for the last few months for refusing to hand it over for fear that it will kill their non-US customer base.

12. FiShy

FiShy Member

To many maybes in this to make it a workable solution for anyone who cares about data sovereignty.

13. OP
    OP
    scrantic

scrantic Member

Agreed but they're working towards trying to create workable solutions for some customer requirements. Until such time as an issue arrises we can only speculate with regards to what's could happen to our data.

Some new features people might not be aware of. Not sure who holds the keys in these encryption scenarios haven't delved into all the details.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/business/microsoft-business-security-solutions-FX103045813.aspx
    http://blogs.office.com/2014/10/28/office-365-latest-innovations-security-compliance/

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

15. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Speaking of O365, noticed one rather major issue.

Not only can you not import existing mail/attachments over 25MB, but you cannot send/receive attachments over that size.

You can save old email as .MSG/.EML (who would do that!!), or archive the entire mailbox as (buggy and prone to corrupt) .PST files.

For us that might be a gamechanger, as you can't tell banks / lenders / brokers / developers / legal eagles (whom are much larger in size than us), what way they must now get emails off us.

In other words (instead of having the attachment with the email you must now go to our Sharepoint system on this link, and use your Live ID and grab it that way. That won't float.

Is there any way around that by possibly having the file hosted externally (say Sharepoint), and so when they get the email in, it looks like the attachment is there, and when they first try to open/download it, it grabs it from our Sharepoint area.. or something like that?

16. exodushunter

exodushunter Member

17. person

person Member

Yep you should pretty much forget sending attachments >25MB ... seriously you've been super lucky that the recipients actually can receive it! ... All of google apps, gmail etc., outlook, hotmail, etc have a <25MB attachment limit ...

Use one of the many services for sending attachments as a link in emails ... there are plenty that integrate into Office 365 & outlook ... for example we use www.box.com ... users just attach a file as normal to the email and BOX prompts where to upload it and generates a link for the email ... no login at the other end.... you could also use something like http://www.mail2cloud.io/ and intergrate that with BOX/Dropbox etc... or if you want to keep the data in Australia look at some of the Citrix ShareFile resellers etc etc .... but yeah emailing >25MB attachments is NOT a good workflow!

18. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

That sounds like what we are after.

There was a link from another place I was reading up on today, but that was from 2012 and seems the company went bust.

Did a similar thing though. To the users at both ends they didn't notice anything different, including how they attached files. At the recipients end they clicked the attachment and it just grabbed from an outside source.

If that was able to work with something in our O365 subscription, that'd be brilliant (and resolve the issue).

19. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

such a thing works in Google Apps for business..
    I didn't realize you had actually made a choice/decision on your future mail platform yet..

20. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Haven't 100% yet, but with a few other things of late going on (increases in spam / some spam getting missed / some legit being released late from spam filter), the idea of moving to O365 is looking more and more desirable (if I can get a workaround for the large email size).

I know things like Oasis Mail Manager (the only one I have hands on used before), can do a similar thing archiving existing mail.

Waiting to hear back from MailArchiva and Mimecast over it (as well as Symantec, but they are not in my good books at the moment).

Once its migrated over, as we are looking at E3 subs, then we get Archiving included at no cost.