Office 365 Outlook users being asked for password

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Pepito, May 10, 2019.

1. Pepito

Pepito Member

It's happening to me and a growing number of customers this morning (I'm in Melbourne FWIW) but entering the correct password doesn't make the prompt go away.

[​IMG]

Access to email from phones, tablets and web ("mail.office365.com") not affected.

Looks like it's gonna be a busy Friday :-(

==

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  2. caltech

caltech Member

Yep, had the issue here (just after a recent update of Office365). Had to ring IT to get the password - they'd recently changed it but never told me what it was. When I first entered it, I thought it was another error message, but the red text was telling me that sign-in had timed out. Once I actually read that, closed the window, restarted Outlook, and bam, I'm in.

Good to hear it wasn't just me!

3. NSanity

NSanity Member

muh tokens, they expired.

Matthew kane likes this.
  4. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

In 15 years setting up Gsuite for clients I've never once experienced this issue. In fact I've never once experienced any downtime whatsoever...

I also find it amusing how you need to create a rule to prevent the creation of forwarding addresses under O365, but under Gsuite it's a simple check box.

Personally, my experiences with both cloud based products haven't been quite as positive regarding O365.

5. scips

scips Member

updatesssss

6. OP
    OP
    Pepito

Pepito Member

Yep.

==

7. OP
    OP
    Pepito

Pepito Member

What do you mean by this? I don't remember ever needing to do that.

==

8. flu!d

Well, your users probably have the ability to create forwarding rules under their accounts. You know O365 is one of the most phished and hacked platforms for 'man in the middle' email attacks? The way hackers do this is to phish the user for their login password and add forwarding rules and rules sending all email destined for the inbox straight to deleted items so the user doesn't see emails until the hackers drag them into their inbox - In the mean time the hackers look for a nice, juicy .pdf invoice they can change the banking details on to forward to the intended recipient to pay monies owed into the hackers account as opposed to the account of the legitimate sender.

The phish is using a password requester that looks literally identical to the one you posted above.

Better yet, banks are refusing to refund monies paid into hackers accounts.

It's a massive hack ATM.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  9. OP
    OP
    Pepito

Pepito Member

Ah ok I get what you're referring to now flu!d , that is always a potentially nasty thing to be on the look out for.

However I didn't know there was a rule I can create to prevent creation of forwarding addresses. I might have to do some reading.

==

10. flu!d

I used to have it, it also allowed for reporting if anyone attempted to create a forwarding address. I'll see if I can find it for you.

11. flu!d

Here you go:

[​IMG]

12. OP
    OP
    Pepito

Pepito Member

thanks for that flu!d

==

flu!d likes this.
  13. flu!d

Not a problem my friend.

Happy to pass on the knowledge to beat these fukin' hackers!