1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Officeworks Printing

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by redav, Dec 4, 2018.

1. redav

redav Member

I was wondering how someone might be able to get half decent results when printing through them?

The context is 6 x 4 prints of our kids for their photo frames in their bedrooms. They're essentially throw away prints as we'll cycle them out as the kids get older. So I'm not after stellar results, if I was, I'd forget about Officeworks but a part of this is to better understand the workflow as the fundamentals should still be relevant.

I sent a bunch of Adobe (1998) RGB JPG's and overall, they're fine and everyone likes them. If I were picky, the skin tones could be better, maybe a touch reddish / pinkish. I have read that maybe I should have used sRGB files? I also included some CMYK PDF's (as their site suggests). The colour rendition overall was noticeably flattish. Prior to submitting them I had a search to see if I could find a profile listed somewhere that I should use. I couldn't so I used the Working CMYK (SWOP) v2. I wasn't expecting a shot in the dark to magically produce the right result so I'm not disappointed. I should go see what printer they're using and whether they can recommend or supply a profile.

As for things on my side, the images are mostly shot in Adobe RGB and at some point I calibrated things (Dell 2407 screen) with a Sypder Express but since then, it's a new machine so new video card, new OS so new drivers so I've no confidence that the colour rendition is right (come to think of it, I think Windows is dialing out the blue at night) so things aren't going to be right.

Ultimately (one day) I will want to produce some nicer, larger prints but I wanted to see if I could wrap my head around things first (I know the workflow can be a can of worms) but I thought I'd see how I'd go with our local Officeworks before trying a professional printers for bigger things later.

2. herzeg

herzeg Member

Adobe RGB can be painful if all of your devices/environments aren't calibrated; having said that, I was under the impression that all pleb shops run/support sRGB only.

For all intents and purposes, if in doubt, use sRGB.

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

There's your answer. Re-calibrate your setup to sRGB, and turn off Windows 10's "night light" blue light filter.

Double check with a quick phone call to Officeworks to ask them about their calibration process.

We have the technology!

4. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

5. berek

berek Member

Yeah nah. Don’t swap to srgb. Calibrate everything again then when you need to, export the image as srgb. If you want to check it, switch the monitor to srgb mode.
    It’s Xmas coming up so treat yourself to a nice new monitor :)