Official 3 Thread Mk2 - Discuss plans, network, mobiles, etc

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Dan!el, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pyros

Pyros Member

Unfortunately it's a bit longer than that :(. Three are real tightarses in this regard. Whenever you ring up, they say 'Oh the system isn't offering you anything'. I'm in my 22nd month now, my spend last month was $108 (so I blew the $29 cap by about $80) and I've had a fair few overspent months prior, and I get nothing.

Recently Mum was looking for a new phone because the battery in her 838Pro was stuffed. She was on the $149 cap with $10 handset repayments and $3 email pack, and spending about $170 - $190 each month with 4 months remaining on contract. Not only would they not let her out of contract for free, I had to bargain on the phone with India for 45 minutes to try and get them to bring the leaving fee down from $230. This was despite telling them we were planning on signing up on the $129 cap w/ E71 AND signing on for a $49/mo mobile broadband service. I had to threaten to leave before the guy gave me $100 off :|.

Every now and then I think about ringing them up to check if I can get out of contract yet, but I think I know the answer already. I'll probably get an offer half an hour before my contract actually expires :p.

[edit]: I should add that they've just offered me a free upgrade (but only after I asked ;)).

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  2. Clem

Clem Member

what did they offer you tho?

3. Pyros

Pyros Member

They waived the exit fee which was something like $97, and allowed me to re-sign with the $69 cap and E71 :).

4. Clem

Clem Member

ohk, good deal i guess...

5. scarecrow420

scarecrow420 Member

Typically when you are within the last few months they will waive any cancellation fee, if you are signing up to a new plan etc, but wont do much else for you. I have found if you can actually hold out until your contract is over, you get much more attractive options. For example, when my contract expired, I was able to get an e71 for $0 repayments on the 29 cap, when it is normally only free on the $49 and $69 cap. Id much prefer to get a phone from a higher tier for free, than to have a couple of months cancellation fees waived... but i guess it's all down to timing - i was lucky that my contract ended just as the e71 was coming out. If you really want a new phone NOW, telling you to wait 3 months isnt really what ya want to hear :) But still, IMO getting the phone for $0 repayments over 24 months sure beats having to pay for it every month, or having to step up to $49 cap etc

6. occxlr8ed

occxlr8ed Member

probably a stupid and answered a million times questions but i'm guna ask it anyway cause this thread is too freakin big to search though lol.

I'm currently in my 17th month of my $29/month + $10/month handset repayments for my E65. If i were to cancel the contract do i have to pay $39 x 7 months? Or just the handset repayments?

Cheers.

7. mliuboy

mliuboy (Taking a Break)

All of it mate, hence the contract ;)

8. superjono

superjono Member

Yes, the Nokia 6220 is once again being sold in 3 stores (as well as online). I'm not sure what the supposed problems were, of if they've been fixed, but if you want one, go for it.

9. Pyros

Pyros Member

I was happy because I was intending to sign up on the $69 cap with the yummy mummy 1GB mbb allowance :).

I think next time around I'll be more vigilant though - I expect I'll be in the running for loyalty points by then.

10. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

strange I given a free upgrade (when into a dealer and ask and they checked the system) only ~12 months into my contract when I had a K800i, I was on initially on 29 cap + handset repayment and then after like 2 months I switched onto 49 cap. It really depends if they like you or not I guess :D But I think mainly because I was still doing like +$100 a month, which is like double my cap spending

11. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Iron Photographer

horrendous software issues. dropouts. lockups. restarts. hopefully all fixed.

that was actually an error, so great for you to have scored off of it ;)

it is impossible to receive a loyalty upgrade before 14 months (unless you're a massive spender and a slick talker).

12. josh81

josh81 Member

Ok cool, let's hope so. I wonder if the build quality has improved... probably not, too much trouble and cost. Maybe they'll just add an extra accessory in the kit.... super glue. :weirdo:

13. Aratama_Bashi

no, they wouldn't change the build of a handset after it is released unless there are serious issues with it (ie. 6500 slide)

14. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Going on their efforts with the 6280, doubt it.
    Yes, I'm still bitter.

I think I'll keep waiting for a nice WinMo phone, or the E66. Almost having second thoughts about staying with Three now though.

-Nick

15. Supremo

Supremo Member

Is it possible to get the 3 firmware for a Nokia 6120 classic?

I have a 3 branded nokia 6120 classic that had a problem with the internal speaker. I have sent it in to 3 to get repaired but the 3 shop didnt have a loan fone for me. So till I get my fone back, Im using another 6120 clasic that is unbranded. However I cannot access 3 services etc.

I have called 3 care and they refused to give me the settings for 3services and 3mms as this fone does not have a 3 firmware on it. I have got an xseries add-on and cant use any of the services untill I get the settings?

Anyone have any recommendations?

16. Aratama_Bashi

DO NOT mess with a loan phone. it isn't yours. if you're peeved, fair enough, but go back to the store from whence you came and tell them about it; get them to solve it.

17. Supremo

Supremo Member

The Nokia 6120 that is unbranded and Im using at the moment till my fone is fixed by 3 is NOT a loan fone. Its my personal fone that I had bought whilst overseas. I wanted to flash it with a 3 firmware so that I can use it here.

18. sanjay

sanjay Member

wwwwhhhhyyyyy would you want to do that?

i use an unbranded N95 perfectly fine with 3 - for net access and MMS.

go into settings > connection > access points

create a new one

call it Planet 3

Access point name is 3services
    Data bearer is packet data
    user name and password are left blank
    Authentication is normal
    Homepage is http://www.three.net.au

bam done

if you want MMS, then create yet another access point, call it 3 MMS
    all the same settings as the one for Planet 3, but the homepage is now http://mmsc.three.net.au:10021/mmsc

then go to messaging, go to settings, multimedia messages, then down to access point, select the 3MMS access point

yay for not having to use gay shitty crippled 3 firmware and still getting all the perks :D

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  19. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

I didn't even need to do that with my N95 after a firmware change and hard rest. Went to open a webpage with the default built browser and it found all the necessary 3 setting by itself (when it was asking for a connection). Same thing happened when I swapped out my 3 USIM and put in a backup Optus prepaid sim (first time I used that sim with the phone).

20. sanjay

sanjay Member

exactly the same experience here mate, as soon as i chucked my sim card in the n95 installed all the settings i needed. i sure as hell never put any of that stuff in manually.

but the guy bitching about his 6120 classic obviously isnt having as easy a ride as us lucky N95 owners :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.