Official Diablo 3: Reaper Of Souls Thread

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Cannula, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Dev One

Dev One Member

High texture packs seem to be the flavor of the month, so hopefully that can be somehow modded into DIII?

Other than the outdated graphics, it was an enjoyable beta experience IMO

2. Brad7000

Brad7000 Member

It's not even about outdated graphics for me. I'd prefer it to be a HD version of Diablo 2 than this :thumbup:

3. Stevros

Stevros Member

What would you say is missing? I kind of got the feeling that its quite similar to D2, feels like they have stayed true to their roots. However in my opinion they should be pushing things further. Diablo is a pretty massive franchise, it was a genre defining franchise as well, I wouldve expected this game to blow the competition out of the water rather than just float along beside it. Im not saying the game is bad or not fun, im having alot of fun playing it.

4. Orphan

Orphan Member

Just played through as a Wizard, didn't mind it. My god I love not having to click to pick gold up.

My biggest gripe is that character models suck, poor detail and they look like something taken out of a 5+ year old RTS game. Second issue is the environment, I actually thought it was pretty good over all but it didn't bring the dark and evil feel that D2 did. It's hard to tell how the skill system will play out.

I won't buy it on release but once the price comes down a bit I will probably get a copy.

5. darken_rahl

darken_rahl Member

i'm getting a bit of slowness changing scenes, and my hdd thrashes a lot. does it seem likely an ssd would remedy this?

and while i'm at it, does anyone have a pretty good grasp on diablo 3 pc requirements? my cpu is still a crusty old e7500, but it doesn't feel like cpu is an issue. 4gb ram, and nvidia 250. i'm probably going to go for a gfx upgrade..

6. ewok85

ewok85 Member

It's a beta - of course it looks terrible.

Ooooh, error 37 - its morning in the US, so I think the servers are taking a beating as people get up.

I've only played for about an hour - seems alright. For me the game runs very smooth, loading is fairly quick, no input lag or stuttering at all. The inventory seems a little clunky, and the items feel too bland to me - I'd love to see more variety. The graphics are quite nice - detailed and interesting, but not overly complex so that they run into each other. Would be nice if interactive items would stand out more so I don't have to wave my cursor over everything all the time...

And yeah, automatic gold pickup is amazing :D

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  7. Shags

Shags Member

I can't even get on, Getting Servers are busy :(

8. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Keep trying - they are limiting the logons on purpose to see how much abuse they can take, and they'll be scaling it up as the day goes on.

I'm a little annoyed that some people don't seem to understand what the purpose of a beta is - you don't get the full, polished game, and it isn't meant to be perfect. The whole point is that by giving you a preview and something to play you are helping them complete the game.

9. [SweN]

[SweN] Member

did anyone else feel like the level up system kind of stifles diversity of character? perhaps there just isnt enough "game" to play through, but it seemed like everyone can end up with the same character in whichever class?

10. Orphan

Orphan Member

The game is 23 days from release. I would expect them to be showing the game off while doing their current final run down and server testing not gimping the visuals for it. It seems counter productive to hold back better models and textures when you are testing a game.
    Yeah, on my play through with the Wizard I didn't have a choice on the skills that would unlock other than a choice between two passive abilities. It won't be apparent how diverse the system is until the final release when you can actually play through the whole game and see how it develops.

11. Forgetful_duck

Forgetful_duck Member

I agree. Back in D2 you had the choice of assigning skill points to you skills and points for your individual attributes too.

With how it is now in D3, no one can screw up their character build i guess...

12. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Been playing it all day today. Tried a barb, demon hunter, monk and wizard. So far i'm enjoying the game. My favourite character so far is Monk > Demon Hunter > Wizard > Barb. Can't wait for May 15! :D

13. The_Pinkus

The_Pinkus New Member

Hey
    Just finished the beta before the servers went down tonight
    killed the Litch king with my demon hunter
    I must say that the game looks awesome and the play is unique.
    I think that the beta is a bit small as I finished it in 1 hour but it was a good insight into what this game is going to be. I was indecisive in pre ordering this game but I will defiantly order it now!
    This game looks AWESOME!
    I think its funny that the beta managed to make Blizzard servers shit themselves and have had to shut it down to make improvements.
    might play some with friends see how the co-op is :thumbup:

14. Smashwa

Smashwa Member

Sigh, no beta for me. :( When I try to install just says updating setup files and does nothing. Boo!

15. raGneG

raGneG Member

Restart it a couple of times. You'll get there. Maybe. Worked for me this morning.. could be getting hammered now.

16. yangby

yangby Member

Servers down at ... :(

17. abadonn

abadonn (Taking a Break)

Im not sure how wrong you can be. This game is weeks from release, I've noted gameplay elements I found limiting or somewhat pointless, these are not likely to be adressed in the week or two before the final DVD burning gets underway. Thus when I point out stuff that by level 9 I'd picked up thousands of gold so what point is there giving me dozens of vendor items taking up inventory space that then sell for 2-5g each, running over some money I found hidden in a book case gives me the same gold as 10 inventory items, then I find more in the next book case. This is a valid criticism of a gameplay element that is enormously unlikely to be altered one inch before the final product is released. I'm playing the WoW beta too and that IS a beta, with entire areas of gameplay missing, this is NOT a gameplay beta, its a server test beta at most. Secondly, on a general note, if you're gonna claim its a beta then you need to expect to have people note elements of the game that you dont like, using 'but its only a beta' isnt a get out of jail free card for that.

So, 3 weeks from release and I'm only testing one aspect of gameplay and what I did was functionally complete in every way and without bugs, how is my testing of the hardest mode going to go if none of us 'beta testers' can test it? Its almost like its not really a game beta at all but just a server test.

And I find it unneccassary to be rewarded every 30seconds for killing barrels, my point is that its methodology of reward in this game is the console one, reward frequently and loudly to continue the excitement. Doesnt do much for me though.

Well yes I can complain about it, I was invited to play the game by Blizzard and therefore I'm entitled to an opinion about what I just played. Presumably you like telling gaming magazines and website that they cant critisize a game because they were gifted a copy. Furthermore whilst I'm getting a free copy of this game in 3 weeks thats not to say I'm getting it without paying.

18. Smashwa

Smashwa Member

Scumbag blizzard. Opens D3 beta, downs servers for the weekend.....

19. Darkness'

Darkness' Never a frown..

When you launch the game, you can actually see their server room from the menu.

It's in the background, just over to the left.

20. Smashwa

Smashwa Member

The building on fire? :lol: :D