Official Diablo 3: Reaper Of Souls Thread

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Cannula, Sep 2, 2008.

1. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Nothing big was going to come of Diablo this Blizzcon anyway. They tried to say nothing big was happening and I hoped it was going to a remaster but that went to WC3.

Sadly mobile games have a bad rep because of companies like EA. Without having played this I can't say what it's like but I understand why people are wary of mobile games from big companies with EA's track record completely mutilating IP's on mobile.

I think that next year will be the big one and I would not be suprised if there was a D4 announcement then and even a possible remaster (Switch marketing for D3 and this would have died down). There are plenty of Diablo projects going on who knows what's going on behind closed doors.

2. power

power Member

Activision = Tencent and you're surprised?

3. KanIbL

KanIbL Member

20 years in game time, 12 physical years...they heading towards a real-time game here with the time it takes to release them.

4. BAK

BAK Member

The issue isn't that its a mobile game. All they really needed to do was say "and we have a PC release in the works, here's a teaser" and most people would have been happy.

Instead, when asked about PC, all they said was "we have no plans to put this on PC" which led to widespread booing. Their (epic fail) response to that was: "what, you guys don't have phones?". Insta-salt everywhere on the internet.

5. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Yeah I mentioned this on Reddit, if they had a teaser trailer for D4, or a D2 remaster (like the Elder Scrolls one at E3) then the backlash wouldnt have been so bad

Or have Diablo Imortal on all platforms

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  6. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

Pretty stupid to release a mobile game for a player base that's always been on PC.

Even dumber to just re-skin one.

7. japes

japes Member

Funniest thing is how there's no Witch Doctor because he's black.

Drizz06 likes this.
  8. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

So the Diablo Facebook page just changed there profile pic from the D:I logo back to the D3 one

I think there may be some interesting discussions going on at Blizzard similar to the Auction House at D3 launch

9. Perko

Perko Member

They flogged virtual tickets with that dev video a few months back saying that there were big Diablo announcements coming, then at the last minute said "nah it's not THAT announcement".

They've spent the last few days screeching about how "in touch", (no pun), they are with their community, so now it looks like they were pulling a bait and switch.

The problem is that the Reddit and gamer gate morons would have made death threats and shit regardless of how they went about it, so once again the games media falls into lockstep behind the developer, even though there's a valid criticism there WRT virtual ticket sales tactics.

10. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

They also suckered everyone in with the classic demo then after a shit tonne of people purchased it they come out with the extremely limited demo details.

11. Roger

Roger Member

That was one of the things that confused me so much, there were so many media people on twitter defending the crap out of the announcement and calling anyone who complained entitled etc. The problem wasn't the game, I'm sure some people would like it (from what I have heard, this was mostly for the eastern audience who loves these kind of mobile games) the problem was how the announcement itself was marketed, as you said, make it sound like something big was coming, sell online tickets, then announce something for an entirely different audience.

Surely it's not out of the realm of expectations for people attending a convention that is primarily aimed at PC Players to expect that any big announcements would be for those same players. Bethesda has really shown how you successfully announce and market these games, Fallout Shelter was announced along with FO4 and was a pretty fun little game (and was something that was fun to play on a phone), and was also (later?) released on other platforms, ES Blades was announced along with FO76, Starfield and ES6, and also looks like fun, but is also cross play with everything as far as I remember.

C&C Rivals and Diablo Immortal are perfect examples of how to not announce something like this.

Perko likes this.
  12. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I don't recall seeing anything mentioning big things for Diablo this year, it's the exact opposite for my recollection. I mean I was hoping for a remaster of D1/D2 but soon as WC3 got it I thought that went out of the window anyway. Did StarCraft get anything announced this year at all because I don't recall seeing anything for that? It was a light Blizzcon in general but there were things in it for me that I was interested in anyway (Hots). Next year I suspect will have quite a bit of noise in response to what has happened this year.

For me I would say otherwise. in general a token useless 60 second vidoes that show a title are an annoyance in my eyes, only exception for this recently being a new Metroid Prime which has been a long time coming. Everything else in this space is always a given and a token gesture; we know it's coming anyway since the big companies like money. D4 will be the same and it will happen, it's just when they choose to show it.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  13. samblurr

samblurr Member

So i came back for the current season, currently at about ~600p - looking for some constant runs again either with the DH (shadow impale) or Barb (IK/Raek FC - happy to roll zdps for meta if anyone needs a barb)
    I left the OCAU clan to play with some other mates, can i still run with you guys?

14. Perko

Perko Member

It was a cheesy dev blog that they put on YouTube and had it linked on the news slide show thing on the app. Was around the time that they started flogging Blizzcon tickets.

It wasn't really "big huge announcements", but it was we're working on lots of Diablo stuff, and we'll have news at Blizzcon.

15. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

What a shit show it turned into! Another Glorious PC franchise turned mobile!
    I personally would have loved to see Warcraft 4.

16. OP
    OP
    Cannula

Cannula Member

Of course mate, just join the OCAU community if you can or hit me up if you see me online.

17. japes

japes Member

Apparently they're currently developing mobile versions of all of their major IP's and it's a new focus for the business. Urgh.

18. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

We all saw the writing on the wall when 2 seconds after kotick took over, the wow shop got a million additions, sc2 got split into 3 games, etc

Hearthstone showed them they make more money with less effort by going mobile... so that's what the whole company will do until that is no longer the case.

There's basically none of the original guys left that made warcraft/starcraft/etc now anyway... they're spread across the industry.

19. PureFire

PureFire Member

20. Roger

Roger Member

I haven't really kept up a super large amount with D3 but most of the balance changes for the sets look a bit silly, increasing stuff from 150% to 300% and even higher jumps, I don't know how that translates into actual in game dps (am a POE player and in that game there is alot of stuff that changes but depending on how its calculated, additive or multiplicative the damage increases are variable)

Are they changes they mention reasonable or is it more of a 'crank everything up to 11 so everyone can hit higher and higher rifts' to try to keep people playing?