WOW Official World Of Warcraft Discussion (Patch 1.8 available)

Discussion in 'MMOs' started by Ace Rimmer, Nov 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Member

I know there is other threads on this game but having all the discussion for it in a thread asking what class you're going to play seems wrong.

Anyway, releases date and pricing have been confirmed, it's posted at www.worldofwarcraft.com

Definately going the 6 month cheaper plan. :D

Last edited: Sep 17, 2005
  2. sWatz

sWatz (Banned or Deleted)

i dont understand, you spose to buy WOW, then PAY monthly to play it? wtf is that sounds like a rip-off, more ways for them to make a quick dollar.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2004
  3. garry_starling

garry_starling Member

yes seems all games are headed that way these days :rolleyes:

4. Maceo

Maceo Member

Kudos to Blizzard for making this a no-bullshit affair. Can't wait for this game - and only 3 weeks until it hits us. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

It also seems like Australia has moved up on the priority list with American game developers... Does it seem interesting to anyone else that we are getting the game before all other countries outside the US (apart from NZ)? Not so long ago we we're waiting months for games to hit our shores - apart from the rare occurance of a worldwide release.

Pricing seems a bit steep but millions of suckers are gonna pay for it without batting an eyelid... including me probably. Ahh well.

Pics anyone?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. sWatz

Maceo, most American companys now see Australia as a niche market, with minor diffrances in market trends, i supose this could account for one of the reasions we see products quicker than usual.

6. surgeon

surgeon Member

Well the reason we are getting WoW before all other countries is because we aren't important enough for our own local servers. With the low pings to the US and relatively low player base I guess some smart cookie figured just let the aussies have a US server :thumbup:

As for the price complaints, how is this different to any of the other MMOG's that have come out recently?. You cant blame them for charging what people will happily pay :D

7. Wizardx8

Wizardx8 Member

OK, here's the deal, this is the way MMORPG's work, like it or leave it. You pay for the game to cover the development costs, and Blizzard are one company that spend a crapload of $$$ polishing the product. I have never found a Blizzard game that did not offer hours upon hours of entertainment, they know their stuff.

The monthly fee is to cover the costs of servers, staff, bandwidth, and also adding new content all the time. I'm quite happy to pay $17 a month for a game that is almost guaranteed to give the amount of enjoyment I am expecting from this title.

8. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Member

Have Aussie prices/fees been confirmed yet?

9. gLaCiuS *

gLaCiuS * Member

Pricing plan is definitely smart of Blizzard :lol:

Can't wait for this game, perfect time for release too, just after exams haha
    Hopeing to get in before the newbie areas become completely packed camping spawns etc

It says the collector's edition comes on both CD and DVD, what format is the regular edition in? And also, what is this exclusive in-game pet? I would think it is different to the mounts you get at lvl40ish

10. Sabien

Sabien Member

Ummm have another read of this. It says that it is instores in North America on the 23rd and didn't include Aust & NZ in that statement. I wouldn't be expecting it to be released on that date in Aust & NZ. I might be wrong and I hope I am but I called EB and they still say 15/12 for Aust release even with knowledge of the press release.

So they estimate 3 weeks to ship from North America to Australia

11. TK421

TK421 Member

Does anyone know if they offer a download purchase? I really don't need yet ANOTHER box on my shelf!!!

12. Kaji

Kaji Member

More and more content to the game world is added after release. You're not paying just for using the servers.

I believe it will be in Australian stores on the 23rd, other the use of the word "simultaneously" is moot. Don't believe everything that EB says :p

13. dahurldog

dahurldog Member

14. gLaCiuS *

gLaCiuS * Member

That intro is awesome, especially the infernal and NE chick/metamorphosis :thumbup:

Hope they'll make it longer for the official release

15. Shimmy

Shimmy Member

It's exactly how every one of these games that's been released in the last 7 years has been operating. If you knew how much it costs to run and maintain these games you'd understand that $17 a month is not that bad afterall. If there weren't a monthly fee things would be ALOT worse.

EDIT: also, according to blizzard:

When will the game be released in the U.S., Australia and New Zealand?
    The game is scheduled for simultaneous release in the North America, Australia and New Zealand on November 23, 2004.

16. Skullomania

Skullomania Member

Good to hear that the game is going to be out very soon now. Glad to hear that pre-paid game cards are a payment option aswell. Means I'll probably try and grab the game now. But, does anyone know whether those pre-paid game cards are going to be available here or are they going to end up as just a North America only thing?

17. sWatz

yeah i havnt herd of the pay as you play system befor, because im use to FPS games where you buy it and its yours.
    i just hope that more games dont follow this trend because its just more money out of pocket, and if you like 3 games 3 X 17 a month aint to be sneezed at on top of your ADSL/CABLE bill, i just think that stuff is becoming to expensive and there finding more ways to get money out of you.

also, so what if the blizard have to host a few servers or what ever, yes i can understand that some people play these games and fell an empowering sense of gaming, but i cant see why a billion? or multi million dollar company such as blizard cant afford to put a few servers up for there dedicated clients / customers / fans who buy the product just seems abit much?

i dont care if you want to pay 17$ a month per game in the future your obviously made of money and gaming is a life style of yours, but meh dude....

18. Wizardx8

Wizardx8 Member

sWatz, it is not just Blizzard putting up a "few" servers. Try and imagine that each server has 1,000+ people on it, now think of the bandwidth they need to supply, these aren't peer to peer networks where your machine does the bandwidth sharing, this is a persistent world that is always there. Hook your cable up with 1000 other machines and watch how much data you are sending/receiving...

MMORPG's are NOTHING like FPS, even online FPS games as the servers are streaming everything themselves. And if it is not your type of game, cool, but try not to bag the pay to play system, it is the only way any developer/publisher can possibly afford to make these fantastic games. :)

19. iNeLuKi

iNeLuKi (Banned or Deleted)

Its not as if pay to play is a recent development. Also the pricing and 3 or 6 month discount plans have remained the same for a long time. Considering you get a free month with most if not all MMOG's you are getting more playtime than most single player games. Also I don't know any figures but I'd imagine it costs a lot to setup the servers and provide decent bandwidth for several hundred thousand players, not to mention adding content. What I would like to see is cheaper expansions for MMOG's, jump to lightspeed for example costs almost as much as a full game.

20. ryuryan

ryuryan Member

what i would like is that the payment for a month be based on play time and not a calender month :lol: but i am a dreamer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.