Official Xbox360 thread!

Discussion in 'Microsoft Consoles' started by anthony256, Nov 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthony256

anthony256 Member

Well, everyone, it's out, reviews are hitting sites now. Games have been reviewed, it's all out there. I'm going to provide some quick links to them, and get the talk about it happening here in Australia and more importantly, OCAU :D

Release dates;
    US - November 22, 2005
    AUS - [not firm, confirmed, anything yet] March 15, 2006.

IGN

[​IMG]

Project Gotham Racing 3 @ IGN
    Project Gotham Racing 3 @ 1UP

[​IMG]

Kameo : Elements of Power @ IGN

[​IMG]

Madden NFL 06 @ IGN

[​IMG]

Tony Hawk's American Wasteland @ IGN

[​IMG]

Gun @ IGN

[​IMG]

NHL 2K6 @ IGN

[​IMG]

NBA 2K6 @ IGN

[​IMG]

Amped 3 @ 1UP

[​IMG]

Backwards Compatibility List @ IGN

Xbox360 Launch Guide: Hardware @ IGN

A few cool notes; Halo 2 is backwards compatible and will work at 720p (1280x720) high-definition resolution with anti-aliasing, I've seen some screenies and it looks awesome. I will post them up once I find them again :) I'm hoping more and more games come out like this, it would be great.

2. PiNk-84

PiNk-84 (Banned or Deleted)

thanks for making it official, i was having trouble coming to grips with posting in the unofficial thread

-edit- Some info blattantly stolen from a thread over on SA which is mighty useful for an "official" thread (keep in mind the below information is in USD and US release dates etc):

System Specifications (OFFICIAL):

CPU Xenon
    - IBM PowerPC-Based
    - Three Symmetrical 3.2GHz Cores
    - Two hardware threads per core; six total.

- 1MB of L2 cache
    - Liquid-Cooled (Read the thread for the exact specs on that)

GPU Xenos
    - A generation beyond the current X850 ATI Graphics Processors
    - 500Mhz / 10 MB of DRAM embedded on the GPU
    - 48-way parallel floating-point shader pipelines
    - Unified Shader Architecture
    - 16 Filtered & 16 Unfiltered Texture samples per clock.
    - 33.6 billion dot operations per second when combined with Xenon CPU.
    - All games will run at a minimum of 1280x720p with 4x FSAA.
    - All Games will still support 480i/480p for those displays that can not display 720p/1080i.
    - All games will be designed for widescreen play. Gamers with 4:3 sets will see games displayed in widescreen by default, but have the option to switch to fullscreen. Developers have been encouraged to make games playable in fullscreen.

RAM
    - 512 MB 700MHz GDDR-3 RAM
    - 22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth
    - 256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM
    - 21.6 GB/s frontside bus

Audio
    - Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Pro Logic 3, DTS Decoding
    - 48khz 16-bit audio
    - 320 independent decompression channels
    - 32 bit processing
    - 256+ audio channels

Xbox Live!
    - Instant, out-of-the-box free access to Xbox Live content, profiles, and more.
    - Free online play for first week of release/free promo weekends/guest passes. (speculative)
    - Built-in Ethernet (Gigabit?) port for connectivity
    - Xbox Live Marketplace for downloadable content and "microtransactions" using earned/purchased points to buy demos, levels, skins, etc.
    - Message Center to receive voice and video messages from friends.
    - Ability to talk to friends, even while watching movies or listening to music
    - Gold Xbox Live subscription for those who want to play all the time, will feature exclusive content. Pricing packages as follows:

Xbox Live 360 Pricing Info

Standard one-year Gold subscription
    (via retail card or Live Dashboard): $49.99

3-Month Xbox Live Premium Gold Pack
    (at retail locations): $39.99
    -Joust for Xbox Live Arcade
    -Xbox 360 headset
    -$10 mail-in rebate good on any 360 game
    -100 Microsoft Points for use in the Xbox Live Marketplace

12-Month Xbox Live Premium Gold Pack
    (at retail locations): $69.99
    -Bankshot Billiards for Xbox Live Arcade
    -Xbox 360 headset
    -$20 mail-in rebate good on any 360 game
    -200 Microsoft Points for use in the Xbox Live Marketplace

Media
    - Formats: DVD-Video, DVD-Rom, DVD-R/RW, CD-DA, CD-Rom, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3-CD, JPEG CD, WMV HD-DVD,
    - Possible HD-DVD or Blu-Ray support in the future. (Speculative, no firm answer on this question)
    - Detachable and upgradeable 20GB hard drive, accessable via USB ports or the network, can be used between diffrent Xbox 360 Consoles.
    - Compatible with USB 2.0 devices, Keyboards will not interface with games.
    - Compatible with USB drives flash drives.
    - Progressive-scan DVD/WMV-HD movie playback out of the box.
    - Windows Media Center Extender built in to access recorded TV (including high definition) and digital movies (including high definition), music, video and photos stored on Windows XP PCs through any Xbox 360.
    - Two memory unit ports to save data on portable memory units, starting at 64 MB.
    - Interactive, full screen 3D visualizers for audio.

Input/Output
    - (3) USB 2.0 (two front, one back), will most likely support the use of USB hubs.
    - WiFi adapter supports 802.11a, 802.llb, 802.llg, size of a pack of gum (may be sold seprately)
    - Xbox 360 consoles will automatically detect and link with other Xbox 360 consoles within range.

Controller
    - Wireless using new Microsoft patented technology, ensures that multipe 360's wont get 'confused'.
    - Guide button aka "Ring of Light"; accesses the Xbox 360 Guide (Dashboard)
    - Can power down the system.
    - Support for up to 4 wireless game controllers per Xbox 360
    - Compatibility with your Windows PC out of the box.
    - Optional Universal Media Remote with Windows� XP Media Center Edition Button for Media Center Edition functionality.
    - Features a 30-foot range and up to 40 hours of life.
    - Play & Charge via USB cable for uninterrupted play when battery is low.

Peripherals Available at Launch:

- Xbox 360 Hard Drive (20 GB). 20 GB and detachable, the hard drive allows gamers to store their games, music, downloaded trailers, levels, demos and community-created content from Xbox Live Marketplace and more (estimated retail price $99.99 U.S./�99.99/�69.99*).
    - Xbox 360 Memory Unit (64 MB). Easily portable, this lets gamers save games, in-game achievements and unique gamer profiles for quick and easy access on the go (estimated retail price $39.99 U.S./�34.99/�22.99*).
    - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller. The same hassle-free high-performance precision wireless gaming that comes with the premium edition features the Xbox Guide Button for quick access to digital movies, music and games libraries as well as a range and battery life of up to 30 feet and 30 hours of life on two AA batteries (estimated retail price $49.99 U.S./�44.99/�32.99*).
    - Xbox 360 Play & Charge Kit. This allows plug and play for high-performance, precision wireless gaming with the Xbox 360 Wireless Controller. Gamers will be given ample warning when the end of battery life is nearing so they can connect the Play & Charge cable for uninterrupted play (estimated retail price $19.99 U.S./�19.99/�14.99*).
    - Xbox 360 rechargeable battery pack. This provides up to 25 hours of gameplay for wireless gaming fun (estimated retail price $11.99 U.S./�14.99/�9.99*).
    - Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter. With this, gamers can chat with friends and play games via Xbox Live, as well as stream videos and music to Xbox 360 from a Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005-based PC, all without the clutter of wires (estimated retail price $99.99 U.S./�79.99 /�59.99*).
    - Xbox 360 Headset. This heightens the Xbox Live experience by letting gamers strategize with teammates or trash-talk opponents while playing games (estimated retail price $19.99 U.S./�19.99/�14.99*).
    - Xbox 360 Universal Media Remote. Sold as an accessory, this integrated control center for the entire digital experience lets consumers play DVDs, movies and music, as well as control a TV and their Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005-based PC controls with a single controller (estimated retail price $29.99 U.S./�29.99/�19.99*).
    - Xbox 360 S-Video AV Cable (U.S. only) Xbox 360 SCART AV Cable (Europe only). This versatile cable works for both high-definition and standard-definition TVs that use S-Video or composite video inputs. It provides optimal audio and video signal transfer (estimated retail price $29.99 U.S./�24.99/�17.99*).
    - Xbox 360 VGA HD AV Cable. Gamers can experience high-definition gaming on flat-panel TV or VGA monitors. This cable provides optimal audio and video signal transfer (estimated retail price $39.99 U.S./�29.99/�19.99*).

Other Peripherals (Shown on slides at Campus Party)
    Headphones
    - Connect to the controller
    - Adjustable volume and mute button.

Text Entry Device
    - QWERTY keyboard
    - Connects to the controller
    - For sending text messages or chat during games
    - Release date TBA

Video Camera
    - Captures at 640x480 at 8 frames per second
    - Allows still photos at 1.3 Megapixels
    - 8x the resolution of the EyeToy
    - Includes a microphone that connects to the controller
    - Incorporates chat functions and sending video messages through Live.
    - Release date 2006

Launch and Price Source: Microsoft Press Release 8/17/05
    For $399 the Premium Edition will include:
    - Xbox 360 console. Sexy styling that packs a punch � three powerful core processors are poised to pump out 720p/1080i output, 16x9 cinematic aspect ratio, anti-aliasing for smooth textures, full surround sound and DVD playback right out of the box.
    - Xbox 360 Hard Drive (20 GB). 20 GB and detachable, the hard drive allows gamers to store their games, music, downloaded trailers, levels, demos and community-created content from Xbox Live Marketplace.
    - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller. Hassle-free high-performance precision wireless gaming features the Xbox� Guide Button for quick access to digital movies, music and games libraries as well as a range and battery life of up to 30 feet and 30 hours of life on two AA batteries.
    - Xbox 360 Faceplate. The removable Faceplate comes in stylish �chill� (white) and can be swapped out with custom Faceplates to reflect gamers� personalities or decor.
    - Xbox 360 Headset. This lets gamers strategize with teammates or trash-talk opponents while playing games on Xbox Live.
    - Xbox 360 Component HD-AV Cable. This connects gamers to the world of Xbox 360 games and graphics through high-definition and standard-definition connections.
    - Xbox Live Silver membership. With this, gamers can chat with friends online, send and receive voice and text messages, and access new content from Xbox Live Marketplace demos such as trailers and casual games from Xbox Live Arcade.
    - A bonus Media Remote: Included for a limited time, the integrated control center for the entire digital experience lets consumers play DVDs, movies and music, as well as access their Windows� XP Media Center Edition 2005-based PC's controls with a single remote.

The $299 Core Edition will include the Console, Faceplate, Wired Controller, and Standard-Definition cables.

Backwards Compatibility

A Backwards compatibility list has been released by Microsoft. It shows which games will be backwards compatible on LAUNCH day.

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/bac...tygameslist.htm

Halo 1 and Halo 2 drivers will be on the hard drive with your unit. All other drivers (emulators) will be downloaded through Live (Silver-Free) to your hard drive.

More games will be added as Microsoft gets them working properly on the emulators.

Release Dates
    USA - Nov 22
    Europe - Dec 2
    Japan - Dec 10

Launch Games - Confirmed to be IN-STORE on or BEFORE 11/22

This list was released on 11/14. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox360launchgames.htm

Kameo
    Perfect Dark Zero
    Project Gotham Racing 3
    Call of Duty 2
    Need for Speed Most Wanted
    Peter Jackson's King Kong
    Madden 06
    GUN
    Condemned
    NBA 2k6
    Ridge Racer 6
    Tony Hawk's American Wasteland
    Quake 4
    Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06
    Amped 3
    FIFA 06
    NHL 2k6
    NBA Live 06

All other games that were for launch might still be relased during the launch window (Nov-Feb) Examples being Dead or Alive 4, delayed until December, or Ghost Recon 3 delayed until February.

FAQ

Read this before asking more stupid questions!

Q: What audio/visual cables will be included? What will be available? Any DVI/HDMI Support?
    A: The Xbox 360 will support component (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i) and composite video out of the box, along with 2-channel analog audio and digital optical audio (optical cable not included). Aftermarket cables include enhanced SCART RGB, S-Video, and VGA. No current plans to offer DVI/HDMI support, as it's "not needed for HD gaming."

Q: Will my existing Xbox Live membership be usable with the Xbox 360?
    A: Yes, it will convert to gold. Included in every Xbox 360 is the 'silver' membership which allows you to go online, download demos, check out Live Arcade, and all the other features.

Q: Will the Xbox 360 support Backwards Compatibility?
    A: Yes, but ONLY if you purchase the $400 system with the HDD built in, or buy an additional HDD. All Xbox 1 games are written to assume a HDD is present, so you must also have an HDD for them to work. Plus all Xbox1 games need the harddrive for drivers to run on the 360.

Q: My TV only accepts [480p/720p/1080i/540p], will the Xbox 360 work with it?
    A: The Xbox 360 will UPSAMPLE or DOWNSAMPLE to whatever resolution you want, no matter what resolution the game runs at natively. So if a game runs at 720p, you can see it in all its 720p glory on your 720p display, yes. But if you TV will only accept 1080i, the Xbox 360 will convert it to 1080i before it ever hits your TV. There are some rumors of extra resolutions when connected to an LCD computer monitor, not following the 720p/1080i standard.

Q: What's the pre-order situation as of November 1, 2005?
    A: EBgames and Gamestop are no longer guaranteeing launch units from their online stores. Walmart is still selling bundles through their online store, but all those bundles ONLY have the core system, not the 360 with the included goodies.

Most people were able to find a PSP at launch at non-boutique retailers without a pre-order, but it does involve a bit of hoofing it around. (like Kate from Kate's playground).

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  3. OP
    OP
    anthony256

anthony256 Member

:p

It's easier, now that it's out [well, in a sense], 1 cleaner thread with better details is alot better :)

But, as usual, mods, feel free to get rid of it if you find it useless.

4. Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

5. PiNk-84

PiNk-84 (Banned or Deleted)

6. elisiX

elisiX Member

Holy shit that looks good.

Fuck putting it on the Dell (got a 2001FP here).. this is going straight to the Pioneer Plasma. :D

fucking awesome.

Shame we have to wait for it though.

7. OP
    OP
    anthony256

anthony256 Member

I want to get some pre-order group-buy overseas action going on :)

8. G-banger

G-banger Member

wooah cool thread ;)

well if your going to pre-order.. get it from dvdboxoffice seem very well priced and will take 5 days to your door via DHL

im planning to.. but im just gonna wait and see how much stock there is before i do and figure out which PSU convertor im getting

tax was rasied to 1000 the other day from 250 (so i heard on xboxzone forum)

9. elisiX

elisiX Member

PSU converter? What is required if we were to import them?

I understand we would have to continue to order games from the US but what other drawback would there be?

10. Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

The Xbox360 uses a seriously whopping PSU - and you'll need something to work between the US 110V system and our 240V system...

The other thing will be region coded DVD's for playback, and probably region coded games...

And yes - the threshold is now $1000, which is great! It'll make a whole lot more stuff worth importing now. Good news - i didn't know until you mentioned it...

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5549

11. G-banger

G-banger Member

when i think about it.. NTSC system is worth it... only if we are able to get one before XMAS with a couple of games... Games in US are cheaper and are avaliable before australia anyways, so really an imported xbox 360 may be the way 2 go.

www.dvdboxoffice.com is far the best place to get games from, free postage with cheap prices 2 go with it.

im gonna wait first 2 see what happen to the aussies who pre-orderd the system with them, and if things go well and there is a large shipment brought during december to US,Canadian retailers then im def gonna put an order through for my xmas present this year :)

hehehe

12. elisiX

elisiX Member

I dont really mind importing the system, but I dont want to import DVD's and not be able to use existing DVD's.

Ill probably just end up waiting. Would much prefer the local warranty too.

13. dahurldog

dahurldog Member

I want a 2405FPW first, then im getting a 360

14. Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

15. Random_Ninja

Random_Ninja Member

Amped looks awesome! I love snowboarding games on consoles

16. OP
    OP
    anthony256

anthony256 Member

I checked DVD Box Office, and sent them an e-mail, just waiting for one back (I want to know if they're sold out like most other places) before I slap down a $900 order.

Anyone else interested in setting up a group buy of the puppies :D

17. Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

You need to check with Agg first, and a group buy won't be of any use anyway - you're not going to get any discounts at all on Xbox360's whilst they're still scarce - the market will swallow up anything that's out there, so discounting won't be an option.

It'll only make things harder, as you won't save any money (especially if you try and get them all shipped together - then you'll attract customs taxes), and then you'll have to split them once they arrive.

Why bother?

18. OP
    OP
    anthony256

anthony256 Member

Sigh :(

I guess.

Sigh.

19. pipingfiend

pipingfiend (Banned or Deleted)

these guys www.quantronics.com.au are taking orders. How many there getting and when is not posted on there page. I have purchased from them before for other things and they were pretty good

20. OP
    OP
    anthony256

anthony256 Member

Thanks!

Just rung them, stock is expected Dec 16th, plenty of it :) They're the NTSC versions (US), not PAL (UK), which is fine by me :)

Edit, whoa;

$799 @ Quantronics
    $579 @ DVD Box Office, even with conversion, say $600 + $20 for postage. Hmm.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.