oh no classic water cooling spill!

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by camui, Dec 13, 2013.

1. camui

camui New Member

hey guys,

new to custom loops and just got my kit today, so i thought i'd flush out the radiator and leave it overnight so itll be ready tomorrow when i make the the loop!

due to my noobiness, i overfilled the radiator and water came out, ended up going on the radiator cover/fins, is this okay? or does water damage the outside of a radiator?

i've dried it all up and it wasn't completely soaked but jsut scared!

thanks

2. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

That'll be fine. As long as it's dry when you put it back into the computer everything will be ok.

3. OP
    OP
    camui

camui New Member

lmao thanks huggy bear! just what i needed :D

yeah i was so panicked, it's an XSPC AX240, so i had to take out the radiator itself from the frame and dry it out, i was tellin myself logically it should be fine as long as its dry when i operate it, but was still so scared!

4. Mrshilka

Mrshilka Member

Your rads, your res and all your tubing and fittings can get as wet as they like inside and out only worry if you get water on you electric parts, and even then if its all turned off you can usually dry it all out.

5. Frag

Frag Member

Was this a serious post?

6. Sven76

Sven76 Member

I think so... Don't forget to some people water and computers don't ever mix. I know the Rad is not a computer (electronic) part but water cooling has become so mainstream and has rads and stuff made especially for it that the assumption it could have repercussions is not that big a bow to draw. Especially if family and friends are telling him he is crazy and water and computer are a bad idea. There is also a very slight chance water could be trapped in the fins and depending on which way the fans are blowing could put water over other parts. He was right to ask in my opinion. I for one never leak test just build it all up and pray :)

7. Frag

Frag Member

@ OP If you have to ask than perhaps you are not ready for custom build just yet -not being a wanker but this is below WC 101. We all make mistakes and learn but due to the danger if you don't know what you are doing get someone to give you a hand or simply avoid it as it could cause more serious issues.

As for not leak testing, well if dont care about $$ if things go wrong, I know 99% people have done stuff with no leak testing. I wont preach lol :)

8. Moptimus

Moptimus Member

@ Frag, if you have to threadcrap on week old posts that have had issues sorted, maybe you are not ready for forums yet - not being a wanker but this is below internet 101. We all make mistakes and learn but due to the danger if you don't know what you are doing, ask an adult before posting or simply avoid it as it could make you look like a fool.

9. Frag

Frag Member

Thanks mate, but if you have to ask whether water will damage the outside of your radiator perhaps there are more complex things the OP is not aware of, that was what I was getting at. I wasn't going to say anything but initially I thought it was a troll. Anyway yes, I apologise for any offense to OP but I wouldnt want to see someone lose some valuable HW to a mishap.

Anyway no more comments, sorry op if I caused you offense.

10. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

I wash my radiator with the hose every now and then to get all the dust out. :thumbup: