Oh No...Intel plans to deliberately limit Sandy Bridge overclocking!

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by SingAlong, Jul 23, 2010.

1. SingAlong

SingAlong (Banned or Deleted)

As per Bit-Tech:

This doesn't look good for the future of Intel overclocking if they go ahead with this design! :eek:

Thoughts?

2. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

DEATH BY FIRING SQUAD TO THE WANKERS IN INTEL WHO EVEN SLIGHTLY CONSIDER THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!111111ONE

3. Reaper

Reaper Member

To the die hard fanboys, this is like looking at a picture of your granny and losing your boner.

Oh well, their funeral for enthusiasts. Intels needed to be overclocked to actually get anything from their long pipes.

But meh, motherboard makers will make OC editions of premium boards that have external clock gens outside of the chipset. Big whoop. It says no need, doesn't say it's not possible.

4. fatguy1992

fatguy1992 Member

I remember hearing years ago that i7 or something wouldn't be able to OC, well look now...

5. OP
    OP
    SingAlong

SingAlong (Banned or Deleted)

But if they go that way wouldn't they try to really make it hard to mod... ala FSB Multiplier lock over a decade ago?

6. pilot6

pilot6 Member

Oh well seems if this is the case AMD will be the way to go then, I really dont understand why intel is taking this path it makes no sense.

7. _the_duke_

_the_duke_ (Taking a Break)

It makes perfect sense.

8. 3stars

3stars Member

I think AMD will be pissing themselves what a stupid thing to do

9. Alba

Alba Member

Agreed.

If Intel does this they will be dead to me and every other enthusiast in the world.

10. mixology

mixology Member

I bet they'll make you have to shell out $1k for intel "extreme" series cpus.. on high end $250+ x67 mobo (or whatever number it is for the next gen highend mobos), for any "overclocking".

the honeymoon is over.

11. booj

booj Member

Cant see it happening.

If everything is tied to a 100mhz base clock it just means there will be downwardly adjustable multipliers for those things that need it. Perhaps these things aren't developed yet in pre production bios'

12. Liighthead

Liighthead New Member

*turns round and looks over at amd..... waiting....*

if they do this.... they r going to lose so many sales....

i9 rite?

so their going to be quite expensive... meaning

like only enthusiast's would buy them.... mostly

but if amd have the same peformance ( exept HT ) but u can oc...

well yeah lol

13. bojo

bojo Member

afaik it's not deliberately limiting it.

It's a different design. I would imagine running everything of one clock.

Multiple clock generators -> one clock generator. It's more efficient. One would think it might help the buses to be synched too.

Of course, means you can't play with the individual clocks like you could before.

I think it's funny everyone saying it will ruin intel. Overclockers are well, niche to say the least. I would think it would help make the cpus cheaper to manufacture, and save them alot over the volume of cpus going to non OCers.

I could be completely and utterly wrong here though.

14. skootyloops

skootyloops Member

Agreed, limiting will be a bad move (for us anyway), but Intel won't be losing sales over it. Most of their products are sold to OEM buyers anyway. However, it could bring Intel back to the pentium 4 days by not bothering to release cpu's designed more for enthusiasts. Either way, this news would be good news for AMD :p

15. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Have to put this into perspective a little.. There will be K series CPU's released with Unlocked Multi's so it's not the 'end of the world' if true. Saying that, OCing the lowest binned CPU's in a 'series' is probably the most popular, and enjoyable part of OCing, so a limit like this would certainly be a downer unless ALL CPU's were unlocked (Which doesn't seem to be the case)

I have to say though, the very last words in the bit-tech link are hillarious

lol.. wtf? :lol:

16. Liighthead

Liighthead New Member

well yeah ill have to agree their... if their cheaper ( maby theyll match amd? ) like the i7 980x v the six core amd... their isnt 2 much difference...

so itll be a choice between hting and ocing?

if intel r cheaper... yeah i mite go with them... i mean not like im gonna get one of the new cpus when they come out. ( depends on price i guess )

my cpu is oced from 2.8 to 3.3... for now...
    i dont really see much/any difference... Though i need a new gpu really badly.... lol

i say...

Wait and see.... :)

17. FuRyZ

FuRyZ Member

I wouldnt jump to conclusions just yet, there is more to this I am sure. Intel would not blow off all enthusiasts like this, its not a logical move in the slightest, much of intel's domination in the current market comes from the renowned performance and overclocking potential of intel cpus. I am sure we are missing an angle here, and just like fatguy1992 said, a similar rant and drone of complaints happened with the 130W TDP limit of the i7 CPUs, everyone was complaining just like this, and in the end it didnt stop us in the slightest.

I vote we wait and see what happens, motherboard manufacturers will definitely have something up their sleeve to make overclocking possible. One way off the top of my head would be to make all the peripheral device clocks have adjustable clock multipliers.

All this complaining and panicking is really quite stupid, it is nothing more than speculation at the moment, I want to see some real world empirical evidence before I start throwing accusations.

18. kill_a_wat

kill_a_wat Member

Doesn't sound good. But im sure we'll all see how things pan out once released. But if it doesn't oc hard its fail for me :cool:

19. Tekxpert

Tekxpert New Member

long pipelines? they shortened significantly with the end of the prescotts.

20. n3wbi379

n3wbi379 Member

Aint gonna happen...... Just hype i rkn.