OKI MFP scanner not recognised by Win10 after reset

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by MonoJoker, Oct 20, 2020.

1. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Recently got a new OKI MC853 A3 MFP which was working really well until an issue which required a factory reset of the unit. Ever since I can no longer scan documents either via the software on the PC or from the Printer itself. The message on the PC, regardless of the software used says "Cannot open data source. Please check that the device is connected." The printer is plugged into the PC directly via USB (as was the case before) and the drivers have been installed from the DVD (as before). The scanner even shows as an Imaging Device under Device Manager as working properly.

https://imgur.com/a/8ekCN06

There are 2 instances of "USB Printing Support" showing as having problems (Cannot Start) under Device Manager. However any time I try to update the driver it simply says it's already using the best driver.

https://imgur.com/a/soTB5IH

If I try to add a Printer under Devices and Printers it shows 2 instances of the printer but no scanner.

https://imgur.com/a/DkKzNrJ

I've uninstalled several times, reinstalled, but nothing seems to allow me to get it to recognise the scanner despite Device Manager having it listed.

Any suggestions or has someone come across a similar issue before and solved it?

Thanks.

2. Beanz

Beanz Member

pwlm1975 likes this.
  3. Groff

Groff Member

Are you using Actkey?

As you are using USB,
    After you totally uninstall the printer (not just remove) do you run the CD BEFORE plugging the USB in?

Also before installing, it might help to disconnect the internet in case Windows decides to auto install the printer itself.

4. OP
    OP
    MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Thanks Beanz I tried using those drivers for the scanner but didn't get any change in behaviour unfortunately.

Groff I've tried using Actkey and also NAS software, both report the same issue. I'm not sure how to totally remove the printer, I did just uninstall the software from Control Panel. I made sure (as it specifies in the instructions) to not connect the USB until the drivers and software are completely installed.

Kind of starting to worry I'm going to need to reinstall Windows afresh which will be a giant PITA so want to try any other option first.

5. Groff

Groff Member

Try using revouninstaller to completely uninstall the printer software.
    It gets rid of registry fragments etc.

pwlm1975 likes this.
  6. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

dont use revo uninstaller - its crap. Third party utilities are a waste of time and some have adware and spyware etc.

turn the printer off and uninstall all existing oki software from control panel > programs and features
    go into settings and remove printer from list
    download up to date printer drivers from oki website https://www.oki.com/au/printing/support/drivers-and-utilities/colour-multifunction/45850406/
    install printer software and driver, and when it asks you to, turn the printer on. It will automatically detect the printer and install the software
    once finished Reboot and you can print and scan

pwlm1975 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Thanks everyone but I've tried everything listed and still it just recognises the printer but flatly refuses to see a scanner at all. It will scan to USB stick (plugged into the printer) so the scanning function of the OKI actually works, but that's it.

Will have to ring OKI support and jump through the first line support hoops I think *sigh*...

8. philquad

philquad Member

stab in the dark, ignore maybe but did you try, windows scan app from microsoft store (win 10?) see if scanner is there

9. OP
    OP
    MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Yeah that’s what I tried today, it simply said select scanner but nothing in the list.