old 19" very blurry, what's my best option?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by timbo3185, Oct 2, 2006.

1. timbo3185

timbo3185 Member

i have an AOC 19"...lol funny reading the box it says "eyes value"...when it probably ruined my eyesight

it's very blurry..like it's out of focus or something, i can't fix it with any controls on the monitor, but it does still work although it makes a high pitch whine once every now and then

what's my best option in regards to it's use...should i take it down somewhere and get it calibrated or sell it? or dump it?

in regards to calibration, how much would it cost?

2. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

If you think its still worth it then take it to a tv repair shop and they will adjust the focus and purity pots inside the back of the monitor, I would strongly discourage you from doing this yourself as there are some very nasty voltages in tv's and monitors which can kill

Cheers

Z

3. mute

mute Member

Dump it and buy yourself a widescreen 22" LCD, they rock :)

4. Sootymooty

Sootymooty Member

Apart from the obvious 'run your LCD at the native resolution' and 'set your refresh rate to highest in control panel' maybe the monitor is just plain.....bad? I've seen some shocking LCDs before, they are usually cheap for a reason!

5. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

I"m fairly sure he's talking about a CRT buddy.

6. Sootymooty

Sootymooty Member

Oops, I assumed it was an LCD.

There are people that still use CRT??! Yeah, dump it and get an LCD. I was looking at the specs of your comp and just assumed you would be running an LCD! heh.

It's blurry because its a CRT really, unless you run it at a low res (1024x768) and if its still blurry then dump it pronto!

7. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

whack the sides or top of the monitor with your hands. my old 17" used to make a noise and wobble until i belted it upside the head. temp. fix until it came back :)

8. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

I use a pair of Sony 21" CRT's and I find them much much nicer than any LCD I've used. If you think all CRT's are blurry you've clearly never used a good Trinitron.

9. fox1

fox1 Member

I've had fix this on one of my monitors and also a friends monitor.

have a look on the back, if theres not a couple of little plastic rotating screws (adjuster things), take the back off your monitor and there should be a couple on the back of the circuit board.

There should be 1 or 2 adjusting knobs (sorry I don't know a better/proper word for them). Using a screw driver, rotate them until you get back your sharp image.

If that doesn't fix it, its probably best to throw it and pick up a cheap 2nd hand crt or lcd.

10. OP
    OP
    timbo3185

timbo3185 Member

well atm i'm using a 21" Compaq P110 CRT, wonderful monitor although the screen seems to have been knocked as the display is slightly crooked..only noticable when you look in the corners, other than that it's great

the i doubt the 19" worth enough to worry about it's a crap brand, i think i'l dumb the tube and think about using the case for a mod :p

11. Sootymooty

Sootymooty Member

I never had been able to afford a large quality CRT, but since LCDs have come down in price so much there's really not much reason to stay with a CRT if its not a good one.

12. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

This is true, but you were making ti sound like all CRT's are garbage, which simply isn't the case. I'd rather have a monitor that can actually display black, thanks.

13. Sootymooty

Sootymooty Member

Ah yes, black - my LCD displays....'kind-of-black'!. I heard news about slim CRTs a long time ago but no news for a long time. I also like my blacks to be, ahem, black as well if possible.

14. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

you can pick up for Sony G520/Dell P1130 for less then $100 nowdays.

just gotta look.

I use a G520 and theres no way im going to LCD for desktop/graphic/design work. expecailly when i cant run games at LCD resolutions =)

15. OP
    OP
    timbo3185

timbo3185 Member

well i run all my games at 1600x1200 res at 75hz on this CRT,

i just thought i'd give a go at adjusting the pots in the old 19"...which one and which way should i turn..i'm assuming ever so slightly because it's sensitive?
    there's a blue one and a white one

16. fox1

fox1 Member

hmm now that i think about it, 1 might be for colour brightness and the other for picture um, sharpness.

turn them and see what happens. ;)

17. blakeyboysmith

blakeyboysmith Member

yeah there are normally a few adjustment pots inside or at the back.. focus. brightness and ocassionally one's to adjust each gun.

you can do it yourself its not really that hard..
    but then again there are high voltages so there is a risk?

18. OP
    OP
    timbo3185

timbo3185 Member

i thought about it for a moment...then i decided to toss the tube and i'm looking at the case...surprisingly there's a gap where the circuit board was which is a perfect fit for a motherboard ;) and i mean spot on!
    looks like there's a project in this old monitor :leet: