Old charger, new batteries

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by congoh, Oct 16, 2006.

1. congoh

congoh Member

Hi,

I have a old battery recharger (20+ years) that still works. It can recharge 4 AA sized batteries.

I was wondering if I can use this charger to recharge 2100mAh rechargeable batteries.

Obviously these didn't exist when this charger was manufactured. I was wondering if I need to buy new charger for it (as far as I know there is no reason why I can't use the old charger but want to check here first since incorrect use of batteries can cause messy explsion :D).

Thanks.

2. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

The old charger will probably use a slow trickle based method which is perfectly fine for new NiMH based batteries and actually kinder to their health, just it will take quite some time to charge them fully

3. LethalCorpse

LethalCorpse Member

not recommended. A NiCd charger is likely to damage NiMH cells. You're far better off to go out and buy a cheap modern charger, which can charge NiMH cells no worries, uses a pulsed charge profile to get the most out of the batteries, and has an automatic cutoff (or negative delta V detection) so that you don't need to sit by your charger with a stopwatch. Such a device can be had for under $50, although the better chargers are a little more than this.

4. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

I thought NiCd used trickle chargers which is perfectly fine for NiMH (and you don't have to worry about how long they are on the charger if the rate of charge is low, like C/20)