old fridge...

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Raven78, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Raven78

Raven78 Member

hey guys, i have an old fridge that is about to be thrown out. it works fine just leaks alot and around the freezer also over freezes alot too.

anyway is there much work involved in removing the compressor and creating a Single stage?

Also just out of interest, is anyone in brisbane able to help me do it and what costs would it be for parts and for paying someone in labour roughly.

Thanks in advance.

2. xc351

xc351 Member

its easyly done but all parts are custom machining blocks and tradesperson labour. as well as making electriclly safe.

Im still yet to see some one using an inverter system other thats its going to be expensive to run.

3. OP
    OP
    Raven78

Raven78 Member

cool, thanks for the advice. would probably be easier to just buy one complete.

4. IMtech

IMtech (Banned or Deleted)

Really depends how handy your are with tools! :lol:

I'm tooling up myself right now to start making evap heads, so I could help you out with one in a couple of weeks when my CNC is finished. Otherwise all you need is a torch that can melt silver, to do the joints, and get a couple of shrader valves to get the system filled at your local auto aricon place... :thumbup:

It's not that complicated... More like delicate work in a sense than anything... ;)

PM me if you have questions, and I'll put you in the right direction to do your own SS... :thumbup:

5. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Easily done? I highly doubt that, especially if you don't have any Hvac experience.

You make it sound easy. Unfortunately it's a LOT more complicated than that. So many variables you have to take into consideration when building these units. So many little things can go wrong & they ALWAYS do. Which usually require a rebuild of some sort...

It's not really as simple as buying some shrader valves & brazing a few pipes together.

6. IMtech

I didn't want to scare the guy off... :Paranoid: :lol: ;)

But yeah it's definitely a lot more than just brazing it all together as you said. But if he sticks to other parts that fellow users have gone through on other projects, I'm sure he can figure it all out if he looks it up on various forums... ;)

7. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

at least he wasn't asking about building his pc in it :rolleyes:

its about time for the monthly
    "can i wc with a fridge" thread :D

8. Yamunsa

Yamunsa Member

read the "easily done" as well and had a chuckle. raven, personally wouldn't attempt it myself even knowing a little about these things. if you have a pal who's a fridge or air tech and has tools and time to lend then you've got a fighting chance but if your have to pay for expertise i would just stop. most techs wouldn't touch the build and those that would will ping you for their time whilst learning on the job.

all round it might be cheaper and less complicated to ask kayl or cbuzz to build you one or buy one of their old ones. (are you still building these buzz?)

9. IMtech

I'll give you that... :lol: :thumbup:

Haven't seen one of those thread for a while tho... ;)

Definitely true. If he's not comfortable with building it himsef I would recommend getting one made for him, or get one second hand... :thumbup:

10. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

I was actually expecting this thread to be just that :lol:

Occasionally I put one up on the bench for a play but I don't build for others. Way to much hassle/effort involved.

However, If someone in Melb wanted to build one over a couple of beers, I'd definitely be in :lol: Did this with Dens a few years ago & we had a blast.

11. kayl

kayl Member

if ya want to make something yaself, easiest way is to get and old air-conditioner and stick the evaporator into an eski with coolant and run a chiller :thumbup:

12. The Wraith

The Wraith Member

I prefer the chillers, more adaptable without the hassles.