Old hardware appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by andyroo54, Jul 29, 2011.

1. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

Hi.

So I searched but I couldn't find any threads dedicated to old hardware talk, I really like old gear as much as I like the new stuff, I think it's great to be able to see how far we've come by mucking around with old computer hardware. So this thread should be a place to post pics and or discuss old computers/servers etc etc if you so choose. I think it's really great to get an old machine running that can take you back to your earlier days, or to try and find a use for it rather than junking it. Macs and PC's it doesn't matter!

It doesn't have to be ancient either! I'm fairly new to this, it's like going back in time, in an incredibly geeky way I suppose.

So the first thing I'm posting, I don't know what it is. I mean it looks like an old motherboard, the RAM looks very strange. It was found (just what you see) at an old school an old server maybe? The processor is an original Pentium I think. Have a look;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  2. Kyal

Kyal Member

I have an orig pentium computer in the shed somewhere, dunno if it still runs, def different to the new boards.

3. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

We have a whole Retro Hardware forum, so I'm moving this thread there.

The board you've got appears to be an old AT style one for the second generation of Pentium CPUs. The CPU is a Pentium 200MMX. The RAM is 72-pin SIMMs.

4. Reaper

Reaper Member

5. OP
    OP
    andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

Yeah thanks I did see retro but I thought it was mainly for games and arcade stuff I almost did make the thread in there!

6. broccoli

broccoli Member

7. OP
    OP
    andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

That is cool post some pics!

I posted this in the "new gadgets and hardware thread" as a bit of a joke!

Ta da! It's an old NEC T400 Versa Tablet PC from around 2003, I found it at work today. It's got a P3@933Mhz and currently 256mb ram but I will try to find a 512 of lappy sd ram for it. 30? gb hdd. Battery lasts about ten minutes, and looks like it was last used around five years ago. The screen can use a certain type of stylus but it's long gone, so I'll have to try track one down, I tried one of the old PDA stylus' we have at work but alas.

[​IMG]

Not sure what I will do with it. Apparently it was used for some time as a photo frame of sorts before they put a big screen in the lobby. The reviews even back in 2003 hated on it's performance but loved it's small form factor, which it really is I mean it's a P3 machine with a decent screen and it's about the same size as some tablets today. It's very thin and very light. It has Win XP "tablet edition" SP1, and I'm about to put SP3 on it to bring it up to speed with the basics of today's interwebs. It has Wifi also. It runs pretty well but boy does it get hot, great for winter :thumbup:

Any suggestions for a mod or anything I'm open. Not sure if should reformat it with XP or try and load win 7 on for the lols, or even android or linux or something?. I'm not sure about drivers for it so I'm worried if I reformat it to XP I won't be able to find them, does anyone know of some software that saves drivers? I'm sure that exists?

8. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

Win7 won't install on anything less than 512MB memory. Not to mention it's just a horrible experience if you do. :D

More memory and a cut-down XP and it could serve as a thin RDP client. All of the grunt is out-sourced, so you just need the bandwidth. Maybe look for a compatible wifi-G card? Or an iPad knock-off would be funny. :D

9. OP
    OP
    andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

I'm thinking I'll get a 1.8 IDE to SD adapter and stick a 32gb class 6 card in place of the HDD, swap up to 512mb. It's a shame I can't somehow upgrade the CPU...

10. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

11. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

That tablet is not exactly under powered, especially under XP. I reckon give it a fresh install of XP SP3 Tablet, load up chrome/ FF8 and you will have quite a reasonable machine. XP is still fully supported in every way, so there is no need to castrate it with cut down linux nonsense or thin clients. Doing something about the battery is going to be much harder.

I've long since binned my retro hardware collections, had plenty of 386/ 486/ Pentium era stuff that I collected in my early teenage years. However I have kept almost every CPU:
    [​IMG]
    386DX20, 486SX33, 486DX20 PR66 Overdrive, Am486DX4-100, Pentium 150 (Socket 7)
    Celeron 333 "Mendocino" (Slot 1), Pentium 4 3,0GHz (775), Core 2 Duo T7500 2,2GHz (Socket P)

The only CPUs I didn't keep was the PowerPC G4 7447A 1,25GHz from my eMac, as it was obviously soldered to the board. In hindsight I wish I had as it would be seriously cool to have. Also an AthlonXP 1800+ Thoroughbred B (Socket A) that was sold, it was the stepping that was most desirable for overclocking but I had an A7N266-VM nforce 1 motherboard that couldn't adjust anything!

Still in complete systems are an Athlon 64 3000+ (Socket 754) and Pentium 4 2,8GHz (Socket 478).

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  12. broccoli

broccoli Member

Of the printer? I'll have to fish it out from wherever I've got it.... Under the bed?

13. Chewhacca

Chewhacca Member

Love obsolete hardware. Just to brag, I've got a 386DX40, 486DX66, Pentium MMX 233, Dual Celeron 400, K6-3+ 450 (at 616MHz), Pentium 3 Tualatin-S 1400 and an Athlon XP 3200+. All of them work. :lol:

14. FuzzyKaos

FuzzyKaos Member

Ill play :)

3DFX Voodoo2 8mb PCI 3D Accelerator Card

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I rescued it out of a box full of crap, the store wanted $1.00 for it.

The cord is for looping to your primary 2d video card, remember the voodoo 2 was a 3d dedicated card, you still used your old 2d video card for desktop and such.

15. Chewhacca

Chewhacca Member

Get yourself another and enjoy SLI! :thumbup:

16. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

I strongly suggest anyone looking for retro hardware to check your local e waste recycler, I picked up 3 AT working systems for $10 each a month ago, they literally had like 100 cpu's in box ready for recycling, 486's, Pentiums/II/III you name it and I bought one for $5, I was almost tempted to buy working 286 nec powermate but what do I need a 286 for?

CRT monitors any size probably $10 a piece at most, if you dont want to pay rip off prices on ebay its the way to go, they are going to keep an eye out for a cyrix 586 tower for me as well as VLB cards for my 486's.

Bottom line they get working retro computers all the time and they want next to nothing for it.

17. FuzzyKaos

FuzzyKaos Member

Dont have a picture of it anymore and these are the pieces of hardware that ive regretted getting rid of.

Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Canopus Pure3D

I still have the old PC they were plugged into, ill post pics soon.

18. FuzzyKaos

FuzzyKaos Member

Here is my PC from the 90's god bless dial up and beige :)

[​IMG]

Here is a more modern one, probably bout 2001/02

[​IMG]

Slot load Pioneer DVD-ROM, LS-120 Superdrive, Asus CUSL2 Motherboard, P3-1000 I think I had a GoldenOrb cooler on it too, if anyone remember those. Case was an Acer HX... something something, cant remember.

This would have been the PC that had the Pure3D and MX300 in it.

Did all the air vents myself, back in the day when it was all new :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  19. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

Something from Europe, but also worth sharing IMO :D

This image was hard to track down. I purchased this Magazine "Highscreen Highlights August 1992" off eBay from Germany. Inside I found this advertisement which shows the EXACT computer I had as a kid.

It was my very first PC and over the school holidays got a Sound Blaster card and played Monkey Island 2, Wing Commander 2 and Fate of Atlantis.

The PC scene in Europe was very fragmented with heaps of dodgy shops. Highscreen was the "peoples computer chain" so to speak.

The price is in DM (Deutsche Mark). ~ 1250 Euros.

[​IMG]

20. FuzzyKaos

FuzzyKaos Member

It still works.

[​IMG] [​IMG]