Old hardware appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by andyroo54, Jul 29, 2011.

1. FuzzyKaos

FuzzyKaos Member

Here is that old PC that I used to have.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

LOL thats how I used to sleeve my cables back in the day, just electrical tape.

Pentium Pro 200 with 128GB o RAM.

Back in the day, this motherboard/ram/cpu cost an absolute fortune, but that's what you pay for the best!

Still works too, I think the last time I did something with it was a Ubuntu distro, worked great!

I don't know if there is any merit in this, but I believe that the old games work best on old hardware, maybe as time goes by older libraries are re-written or emulated, or that hardware changes so much that the old instructions are translated differently on new hardware etc.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. xlot

xlot Member

Heh the 5th CPU I owned was a PPro 200 bought from Dell in 1996 (I was in the UK).

Awesome processor - lasted me three years until a Slot-A Athlon 850, thanks to assistance from a Diamond 3dfx Voodoo in Quake :)

Here's the slot-A - in my office behind me. First generation of K7 core cpus.. kept AMD going very nicely and paid for the intro of the Athlon64 in 2003. I had two more K7 cpu's.. Thunderbird 1333 and a 2600+.

Starting to sort the slot-A out for retro purposes - will remove the old ATI Radeon All-in-Wonder TV/Video card - replacing with an AGP Geforce2 GTS for some 3d performance in Win95, and will use my old Orchid Voodoo2 via pass-thru where possible :)

[​IMG]

I need to find a quiet replacement for the fans on the slot heatsink.. one of them is noisy-as - but it booted ok on the weekend.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

That sound system kicks arse!

I had some nice 80W Marantz beasties hooked up to mine. They're in my games room now. Playing Doom through those kicked arse with the shotgun, and later the rocket launcher in Quake.

Actually, there was one particular evening hosting a LAN where we were playing Quake, and the vibrations from those speakers and constant rocket jumping caused a framed painting hung on the opposite side of the wall to fall off! Breaking glass noises in the middle of a LAN are not cool. :)

4. breech

breech Member

i have one you can have if you like. also another athlon, nfi what it is.

5. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

Thanks, but nah. If I build a retro-pc it'll be a BP6/ dual Celeron box. Oh yeah! :leet:

6. stano

stano Member

talking of dual cpu systems here are two of mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Asus A7M-266D with 2 AMD 1900+ Athlons plus an Asus Geforce 3

and one other dual cpu monster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is a Abit vp6 with dual coppermine 1000mhz P3. Video card : Asus geforce 4 4600.

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

LOL @ Athlons being "old". I still use two Althon XP based systems every day! I've got a customer who's using a dual Athlon XP pencil-modded to MP in a production thin client server as you read this! :lol:

8. Reaper

Reaper Member

Heh.

They stood the test of time better than the p3 or p4. :)

9. Draxx

Draxx Member

That would be AOpen HX-45 :)

10. FuzzyKaos

FuzzyKaos Member

Thats the one! :)

11. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Damn I loved the old Athlon Slot A's! AMD were getting such great yields with those processors that they were selling higher clocked CPU's at lower specs. It wasn't unreasonable at one stage to carefully open up a Athlon 500 and find anywhere up to a 650 core inside. :D You then had the choice of either safely bumping it up to it's rated CPU speed for a free upgrade or pushing it even further. Awesome CPU's. :thumbup:

I had a ASUS K7M Motherboard with the AMD 751 Irongate Chipset. Rock solid motherboard. :thumbup:

Sadly I don't have any retro gear to share anymore as I sold it all.

12. |anykey|

|anykey| Member

I'll have to gather a few photos of some of my stuff. I've taken a break from the old stuff for a bit - too much going on.

I have a 486 P75-5x86 133ADW on a quirky motherboard that barely works with this cpu - 64MB EDO, SB16 ISA, adaptec 154x ISA SCSI, 2x SCSI HDD's, CF>IDE Adapter with 2GB Ultra II Sandisk CF Card (Various reasons) -

It runs Xtreegold. I have brown bag power menu on it, but I prefer Xtg. I recently formatted the main drive to try and install Linux as a challenge but it just didn't work (Quirky motherboard issues)

Apart from that I've got various super socket 7, really odd boards that only accept a celeron 566 (How stupid) - and other stuff (pentium II era, Pentium III) I still use a few P4 class machines today.

I'll post photos when I get a chance.

13. Segression

Segression Member

Cool thread, wish i had kept my shit over the years, but i tend to sell my old stuff and upgrade.

I had an old xt when i was a kid then went without a pc for ages till the mighty 486 dx2 66 came out. - p150@180 - cyrix 300mmx - amd k62 450 - athlon 800 maybe? - athlon 1800 - its a bit hazy around here i was playing everquest for ages so i could have been playing on a toaster as lOng as it ran eq lol, then amd 3000+ - c2d 6750 - i5 750. To current i7 2600k.

I miss the old hardware, i should build an old pentium box lol

14. mike-s

mike-s Member

Reminds me of the old stuff i used to have.
    I started with a PS/2 55sx with it's 16MHz of 386sx bottlenecked grunt.
    Then started my beigewhite-box era:
    First a 486 DX2/66, i remember feeling so chuffed with myself when i upped that baby to 24meg of memory.
    Next came a Pentium 75 with 32 meg of EDO, I kept this baby for a while and relegated it to being a router when i got permanent dial-up (in the pre-adsl era)
    Then a Cyrix P120+, man with the shitty coolers you got, you could cook an egg on those things.
    Then a P166MMX
    Then a Celeron 300A, over clocked to 450MHz for about 9 months until the motherboard decided it couldn't handle 100MHz and had to be clocked down again :(.
    Then i made a mistake and got a lemon with a VIA socket 7, that wasn't just slow, this particular one was as buggy as hell and i turfed it after a couple of months
    * Then a Duron 1200, which i still have in a box of motherboards & other stuff, i used this baby for years and years as it was rock solid.
    * Then a big jump to LGA 775 and the thermal horror that was Pentium D
    * Then a smattering of 775/dual core's and here i am with a Duo 5200 running stable at 2.6Ghz :).

In the meantime i picked up some other hardware that some has come, gone and some is still here.
    SPARCstation 2, kept for a while, sold on ebay once i got a Sparcstation 10
    * SPARCstation 10, This bit of hardware is currently powered off & used to keep my desktop & NAS box from sitting directly on the floor inhaling dust.
    Socket 7 motherboard with dual Pentium 75's, sold on eBay a long time ago
    * A Pentium 3/733, sitting in a pile of crap that really should be either given away or just scrapped.
    * Sun Ultra 5 pimped out with 256meg of ram. Currently humming away next to my feet right now, not really being used for anything, i guess i should pull the finger out and use it though.
    * An IBM Pentium Pro dual-CPU, A IBM special as it has SDRAM, however the form-factor for the memory is unusual, it it styled in the way of SIMM memory instead of the standard DIMM's we use now (click in at 45' then flick vertical as opposed to the current push down one corner and then the other) and has proven to be a bastard to get extra ram for.
    * Dec Alpha 500/500, pimped out to the maximum of 1Gb of memory, I have bought a legit copy of Tru64, i just need to pull a finger out and install it over the top of the current VMS.
    * Via C7 nano, bought less than 2 weeks before the atom line of hardware was announced by Intel :tired:

I think i need to clear my shelves out, i still have a copy of Solaris 2.5.1 there as well as a genuine NT4 & Windows 95a (The floppy disk edition). How the hell my missus puts up with this eclectic collection i do not know, and do not want to question.

Oh and i forgot, i still have two IBM 101 clacky keyboards that are as good as the day they were made, i think one of them might be missing the cover off one or two keys and the return spring on the * on the keypad is slightly wonky, but the other has everything working perfectly well.

(*= i still have this hardware

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  15. Draxx

Draxx Member

LOL, sounds like something Luke212 would use at "work"

16. mike-s

mike-s Member

Man, totally forgot about laptops *facepalm*
    Oldest to Newest:
    Toshiba Libretto 50CT, this is a Pentium 75, and unfortunately has the LBA quirk where it can only go up to about a 8.4gb drive or so, currently running a microdrive pulled from a defunct Ipod in a compact flash -> ide adaptor to increase battery life and also reduce the quantity of heat generated as the battery used to be a massive hotspot on it previously. It runs alright, currently has Win98 on it. I would like to get my hands on a memory upgrade to get it to a whopping 32meg of ram, but as this is from the era where custom memory form-factors were common, this can be a pain in the arse to get hold of. I'll get one eventually though.

Next up, a Dell CPi, all Pentium 1, 233MHz of grunt.totally forgot i had it and found it while hunting for the power supply for the 50CT tonight.

IBM R30, Pentium 3, 1GHz. This is from the time when they really hadn't acknowledged the whole "thermal dissipation" concept in laptops and the only air going through the laptop was through the heatsink, thusly this was less a laptop and more a lap-localised-cooker.

Toshiba Satellite A65. A 3GHz Pentium 4 HT cpu packed into a laptop chassis. This thing had a massive pro, and a massive con. The former was the fact it is by far the clearest and largest screen i have ever had the pleasure of using on a laptop. Con: Power usage & thermal limitations. Having 2 fans running full time wasn't really quite enough to keep this thing from having a meltdown without a fan-pad underneath. Using a watt-meter i measured this thing at 65w idle and a giant 115w at full load. Hasn't been turned on in anger in about 18 months.

Here's a pic of the 50CT i took tonight, note the 20cent piece on the battery/wristrest for size comparison.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  17. sanjay

sanjay Member

ahh i remember lusting after those librettos in PC world magazine from the late 90s. the first 'netbooks', which costed nearly twice as much as an ordinary laptop at the time. still an amazing feat considering it really was a full-powered PC in there, up to the standards of your average desktop computer of the era.

18. RSDXzec

RSDXzec Member

decent thread, pretty sure the oldest system I have lying around is a 486 that I got for free. It turns on but its not fully functional atm, last time I tried running it mustve been a few years ago. Man how tech has changed.

19. broccoli

broccoli Member

20. stano

stano Member

although I think I have posted this pic before here is a voodoo 5 5500 pci card

[​IMG]