Old Jaycar Speaker Specifications

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Constructacon, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Constructacon

Constructacon Member

I know that this could conceivably go in the Audio subforum, but I thought my question would probably get a better response here.

QUESTION: I purchased a couple of pairs of high end (for Jaycar) speakers cheaply when they were discontinued back in 2010. They've been sitting on a shelf until now waiting for a project for them. Now I want to use them, the enclosed paperwork is next to useless for enclosure design. For something with a big "Audiophile Quality" label I would have expected more. I tried calling the store, but they can't even find the part on their system any more (who would have thought that right?). Does anyone have an OLD Jaycar catalogue lying around that they could look up the specs in for me?

What I can tell you about the speakers is:
    Brand: Response Precision
    Model: CS-2338
    Size: 6.5" Kevlar splits with ribbon tweeter
    Year:2010 or earlier

I realise it's a long shot, but on the other hand, we're a bunch of hoarders.

Cheers.

2. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Quick fondle of Uncle Google, found a Torrent for a 517 MB ISO file for 2008 Jaycar NZ catalogue.

Dunno if that'll help but can't send it (ie the torrent link) to you - won't let me attach anything to a PM.

Zap me a safe email addy and I'll forward it on, else give this a go.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  3. oculi

oculi Member

If you want to know the specs just measure them, AFAIK most speakers don't match the advertised specs anyway.

4. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Looks like Op is looking for assist on the enclosure shape (volume?), if so running a stick of inches over what he's got mightn't work for that...

So methinks they might be better off hitting up some audiophile sites perhaps.

5. oculi

oculi Member

If I meant dimensions I would have said dimensions.

6. mtma

mtma Member

Response isn't really a global name, Jaycar's home brand essentially. Also yes, for this grade of stuff having the specs off is not unusual, and it can arise both deliberately or inadvertently.

Measurement at home with tools as simple as a multimeter and resistor is possible: http://sound.whsites.net/tsp.htm

The quality of the results is of course down to your own level of care.

If it were a big brand that has a reputation to hold to audiophile OEM's like Vifa, Scanspeak or SB I would be more inclined to trust the manufacturer specifications.

oculi likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Constructacon

Constructacon Member

I think that might be just what I'm looking for. Downloading the catalogue now.

Yes, I am trying to design a speaker box for them. I know they aren't really high end, and the box will be stuffed with amps and battery packs etc, so won't be optimal for sound. I was just looking for a starting point for a volume based off the speaker specifications.

8. Wozza_au

Wozza_au Member

Its not in the 2002 cat :)

9. OP
    OP
    Constructacon

Constructacon Member

It's in the 2008 catalogue, but they don't list the specs (they do on the cheaper speakers for some reason). Oh well, looks like a generic box it is. Now to find out how big a generic box should be for 6.5" speakers.