Old meets New [3900X in a Cosmos S] Apogee XT, Black ICE 360/Magicool 280

Discussion in 'Modding' started by BlueRaven, Mar 22, 2021.

1. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Hello all, it's been a while so I thought I'd do a log-type-thing. :)

A targeted perusal of the For Sale forums and a few handy retail sales have brought the following rig in at the appropriate budget...
    some gear obviously reused from my dear departed X58 Xeon do-it-all.
    And some old/new stuff. You'll see, mostly. I have a camera but I'm def not a shutterstock guy.

- Ryzen 9 3900X
    - ASRock X570 Steel Legend
    - 4 x 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600Mhz-16-19-19-39-1.35V
    - Corsair Hydro Series H100i Pro RGB (for now....)
    - Gainward 4GB GTX 970 (long reference PCB) ROG Strix GTX1070 8GB OC Gaming
    - Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 NVMe 250GB boot drive
    - Many TB of rust and SATA SSDs
    - Cougar GX 1050W Gold PSU

DSC05925.JPG

DSC05927.JPG

DSC05928.JPG

I also have heard a bit about this new "watercooling" thingo so I bought some stuff, maybe I can use it in my buiold?

DSC05930.JPG

What do about that ancient GPU though? I'm not made of Etherium... :(

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Deano_20802, Kommandant33 and Dr Evil like this.
  2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I would normally say just buy a new one :p But well these days with the shirtages that's easier said than done. Maybe just ride it out with this more than competant rig until things settle.

What gpu did you have in mind?

BlueRaven likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

"Shirtages". Haha... because they want the shirt off your back. :lol:

You're right of course. I'm not a MP twitch gamer playing the latest of latest...
    My SP library chugs along a good few years behind everybody else's while I try to avoid any major spoilers. :)
    The 970 will be fine for now. I'm vaguely considering buying a universal gpu block and some ramsinks if I do decide to make a proper mod project of it with custom WC.
    Proper Old School!

Wouldn't mind something like a 2060 Super in it at some stage, or even just a 1080 to tide me over for another few years until the next crypto bust. :D
    But not while 1080's are still going for $600-$700. Just don't have that kind of cash spare after this round.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    Deano_20802 and MR CHILLED like this.
  4. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Subadubdub

BlueRaven likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

Nice one mate, good to see ya. ;)

Should have some time to dust off the case tonight and take a few more pics, start figuring out what I want to do with it.

It has some minor scuffs on the rails, trying to decide if I can be bothered stripping and repainting/powdercoating them or just clean them up as best I can and soldier on.
    Budget is strongly suggesting "just fk'n deal with it man". :)

There's a few other small issues with the front panel buttons I think, and I defo want to swap out the front USB ports for 3.0-compliant components.
    And so it begins... :D

I'm veeeeeeery tempted to hook it all up bench-style just to see it all running (bit concerned about the state of the GPU), but that will have to wait until I've got all these loudspeakers tested/repaired and listed for sale so I have a workspace again... anybody need a nice Australian-made Krix 5.1 home theatre system?
    workspace.jpg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    MR CHILLED likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

Got a ROG Strix GTX1070-O8G Gaming card off the forums with some of the proceeds from my speaker sale.
    Further updates incoming shortly. :)

GTX1070.JPG

Already had a look around and there's a couple of options for FC blocks still available for the card, so it looks like full custom WC might be a go.
    I will have to make up an AM4 mounting plate to suit my Apogee XT block, but that shouldn't be too much of a struggle (he says confidently...).

In other good news, the scuff marks on the top rails of the case scrubbed off with a green scourer. Paint looks fine, can hardly notice it.
    I'm beginning to notice all the ways that CM did such a good job with the build quality of this case, and why they were so expensive and highly regarded when new.

7. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

So I've pretty much comitted to using one of my Apogee XT's for this build, and the other has been sold to an OCAU member.
    Here's a video about how I plan to tidy them up:

8. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

9. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

"SO basiceay wud u wanna be doihng is bleh bluh bleh..."

10. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

800 grit... 1200 next

Deano_20802 and /invariance\ like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

Final lapping video. On to case modding stuff (and actually building/testing the bloody thing) soon. :)

Deano_20802 and macktheknife like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

Righto, update tiem.

First things first, core hardware is safely ensconced in its new home...

IMG20210428005758.jpg
    IMG20210428005948.jpg

Thermal pad isn't exactly making super-flat contact with the SSD, but eh... probably better than no heatsinking at all I guess. There will be plenty of case airflow anyway.

IMG20210428011123.jpg

I wasn't a massive fan of the "arctic houndstooth" camo to start with, I purchased the board for other reasons (cough *price* cough), but it's actually starting to grow on me.

IMG20210428011226.jpg
    Reckon the Apogee XT will fit into the scheme pretty nicely if I can make a decent-looking AM4 bracket or adapt the existing plate somehow.

IMG20210409180450.jpg

On to case stuff... having a bit of a look at what rads will fit where...

IMG20210409180346.jpg

IMG20210409180434.jpg

I had an idea at some stage to do a build with all polished-metal rads, and started stripping the paint off this slim 280 and a couple of old 240's.
    Could maybe work for this build with the bare metal interior and the brushed aluminium features on the mobo... sit it behind the bays if there's room in front of the GPU's arse.
    360 in the roof of course (not stripping that!), with the fans under the removable top cover. Bay res for the old school look, custom fill port on the top, pump down in the bays at bottom-front.
    You see where I'm going here, old school WC build but updated with modern hardware und das blinkenlichten.

IMG20210409184642.jpg

I'd like to use that big fat Phobya 280, but it's too chubby to fit anywhere without major modifications.
    Also considering mounting the slim 280 up at the top of the bays and putting a 120 rgb fan on the floor mount with the pump on a spider mount above it.
    Could look cool, we'll see how much room there is once the PSU is in.

Defo looking at getting a Bykski FC block for the 1070 from AliExpress, but for now I think I'll just build it with the Corsair AIO to see it running and test the GPU on air.
    Mods can come later once I've got all the bits and pieces.

That's it for now, cheers guys.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  13. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Nice. I do like seeing old cases get a new chance at life. Will keep an eye on the thread.

BlueRaven and Elmf like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

Cheers sammy. :thumbup:
    Taking my sweet time with this one so I actually end up with a fully finished build, unlike my old RV-01 BlueRaven/Dark Matter project that never got fully done and just got dragged into everyday use.

Debating whether to paint the insides, just tape everything up and a few light coats from a spray-pak on a calm day.
    Maybe a semi-matte black. Or a silver finish to match the brushed aluminium heatsinks on the board.

Dunno... kinda like it as it is and I think it will look okay with the hardware I've collected here. Comments from the gallery appreciated. :)

Edit: reckon the tool-less drive retention thingos will be going too, or at least I'll have to do something about the blue knobs.
    (Nobody likes a blue knob, or so I'm told).

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021