1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Old School BMX

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by CAESAR, Mar 6, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    CAESAR

CAESAR Member

Mongoose all done, Just need to find some original parts down the track but she's rideable :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mad_mic3 and Agg like this.
  2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Absolutely spectacular!

Now let's talk pricing and how much to ship them both to Adelaide :lol:

3. ZXR

ZXR Member

I had a Redline Proline back in about 1984. It was my birthday present and it was AWESOME! I took it to school for one of those school ride-athon things and the other kids were all wanting to just sit on it. Not even ride it! My little brother ended up with it and pulled it apart then traded it off for cigarettes while he was in high school. :(
    The only difference I can remember between the one above and mine was that mine was white instead of chrome. It had the red tuff wheels, the V neck handlebars and the red anodized brakes. You're one above is excellent!

millen likes this.
  4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Wow, that's an expensive pack of ciggies now :lol:

5. ZXR

ZXR Member

I bring it up with him every couple of years. Even he looks back and thinks he was a dumbarse for doing that.
    We had 2 Redlines, a Mongoose, a couple of bitsa bikes with good frames and an old dragster bike with the gear shifter thing on the crossbar. All of which I'm sure are worth good money now days. *sigh*

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

If someone hadn't stolen my beautiful Blue Max I'd still have it today, I get goosebumps every time I look at one.....I still cry myself to sleep each night over that one :upset:

I'll probably be 90 by the time, but one day I'll make one.....or just buy one pre made : p

7. chook

chook Member

This might cheer you up. Or make you cry more. The choice is yours ;).

MR CHILLED likes this.
  8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I want my Blue Max back :upset:

9. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Very nice work, used to a couple old Mongooses from the early 90’s when I was a little kid, just curious is there a collectors market for these sort of old bmx’s?

10. OP
    OP
    CAESAR

CAESAR Member

Thanks Guys,

I've now made a start on another 2 bmx builds (Another Mongoose and a Malvernstar SuperMax). I'll post some pics when I get a chance but these have been slow as cash flow is real bad.

yes, there is quite a large number of collectors out there. prices on parts are absolutely ridiculous.

nav and millen like this.
  11. pivot

pivot Member

Excellent bikes. Only 2 more to do, Yellow and Pink. Then you are on your way to tear up the streets just like the original BMX Bandits!

12. OP
    OP
    CAESAR

CAESAR Member

I ended up starting another Redline build. This one is taking me a along time due to lack of funds.
    Some progress pics and what it started out like.

20200429_112256.jpg

20201015_161839.jpg

20201015_222131.jpg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    mad_mic3 and MR CHILLED like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    CAESAR

CAESAR Member

14. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Nitro RC collection?

What's your prep on getting the old chrome plate off and final finishing? What paints? 2pack paint? Any final clear coat?

15. ArmoureD

ArmoureD Member

Where are you folks getting the decals from??

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Awesome.

Where are you sourcing your frames from? I just can't seem to find a Blue Max frame around anywhere. 80's bmx's are hugely popular now so it's becoming quite difficult to get something to start my build. I'm willing to pay pretty handsomely for just the frame and forks.

I've checked around as I'm going to start a build of my own.....either a redline or what I really want, my original Blue Max: https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/bmx_products_inc/30944/

Ebay blue max decals: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/124598941971?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Redline series 3: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2240166...PPGfX|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524&frcectupt=true

Should have decals for lots of bikes.

ArmoureD likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    CAESAR

CAESAR Member

I got the frame powder coated, in hind site I should of got it painted as the powder coat is thick and it hides the nice welds.

Found the frame on ebay a while ago for the massive price of $120 / $140 can't remember the exact price but I got lucky. The forks cost me more than the frame $235 from facebook old school bmx group. People are asking crazy money for parts.

mad_mic3 likes this.
  18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You found a Blue Max/Mongoose frame on ebay for $120? Damn dude, you got very very lucky. They are rare and if you can find one they are so damned expensive.

19. OP
    OP
    CAESAR

CAESAR Member

I got the Redline for that price, paid way more for the mongoose.

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'm hoping to get more of a bargain through gumtree than ebay. I'm going to put up a WANTED ad for a frame and see how that goes. I really want the mongoose but they seem like hens teeth in the early 80's era, so I don't think I'll be able to get a survivor. I think I'll have better luck with a Redline of similar vintage.