1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Old school cable release with digital camera

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by DVDHack, Apr 8, 2020.

1. DVDHack

DVDHack Member

I have a Nikon D850 and I also have a couple of sets of bellows. The bellows use old school cable releases and I have an AR7 dual cable release, usually one end goes to the lens for aperture closing and the other hoes to the shutter release on the old film cameras. The D850 and most Nikons have a 10-pin electronic cable release now so the old screw in cable release is useless.

I’m looking for an adaptor from the old wired cable release to the new 10 pin electronic. Has anyone seen such an adaptor?

my fallback is to build an adaptor that allows me to screw in the old cable and activate a micro switch that closes the pins for shutter release in the 10-pin but the cable release threads are odd, they’re a tapered thread for which I can’t find a tap. I’ve read the M3x0.5 tap gives you a full turn of lock but it’s not ideal, alternatively I could butcher an old camera and use the thread from the shutter control.

Any thoughts?