Old skool BeOS/Win 98/XP retro box

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Vanne, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Vanne

Vanne Member

So I wanted to build up a new box, but since my brother chucked out my old Tyan tiger dual CPU p3 1.4ghz box Ive been searching for a few new parts.

I wanted to stay with the main OS being BeOS R5.03 Pro, with Haiku OS and XP on another partition.

I used to love BeOS, but that was all a long time ago and I used it mainly to write fiction and other shorter stories.

Anyways, I came up with some parts..

Tyan Thunder motherboard

https://www.tyan.com/Motherboards_S2885_Thunder K8W

2 X opteron 250
    4gb of 3200 ram
    And lol one AGP 8x HD 3850 512mb vid card
    1 x-fi PCI sound card
    Couple of spare 7200rpm hard drives

Total cost?
    120 US bucks.

I initially wanted to use my 3dfx voodoo 5 card for this, but i remember from a few years back, the 64mb vram really does limit a lot of things you can do with the box.

I kinda wanted a awe64 card, but came upon the x-fi one for 15 bucks.

Anyways, any comments would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

2. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Vanne likes this.
  3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I didn't even know that ran on x86. Today I learned.

4. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol as stated in the op, but thanks. Yeah. Been keeping an eye on haiku for the last 15 years.

5. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

lol typical ebay, so all of my parts, beside the X-fi cards got cancelled for one reason or another.. still looking for parts.. or I might look through my parts box for something I can build with the rubbish I already have..

6. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

I hate that sellers can cancel sales for no auction after the auction has ended without repercussion then straight up re-list them.

Vanne likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol so funnily enough I was able to persuade the bloke selling the tyan mobo to sell it to me Afterall. Also grabbed 8gb of ram and even though the 3850 fell through, I booked in a ATI 850xt 256mb with nv5 silencer. And ofcourse the x-fi sound card.
    The vid card was the most expensive bit from the whole kit. CPU/mobo/ram was 46 us plus 15 bucks postage, 15 bucks for the sound card and 60 bucks us for the vid card. All up 120 US.

Hopefully the system will function well together. Decided on XP Pro, with BeOS/haiku as primary os.

Will have to start tracking down drivers for said hardware.

8. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    cdtoaster likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Tyan Thunder K8W S2885 manual here..
    http://www.tyan.com/manuals/m_s2885_101.pdf

[​IMG]
    hmm, have been looking at lots of VGA cards over the last few days, still waiting for the x850 pro to come in though. I even put a bid on the agp hd4860 HIS card, though it sold for about 130US, but then started looking at lots of other cards.

the X1950 GT/pro
    the HD3850

but then I got a little carried away, and was wondering why on earth id be needing such a powerful VGA card, which I never had when I was younger. the fastest AGP card I had was the X800XT, before I swapped motherboards and went with a DFI lanparty board with Pcie.

I guess I lost sight of what I was doing here for a sec, and its easy to do, soo many nice cards on ebay, for cheap compared what they cost when they came out and I remember reading the reviews back then and wishing I could afford them.

Anyways, were back on track now :D

Sticking with the X850 pro, which is way powerful in its own right for the build that I am doing.

the other card I looked at which was a technical wonder at the time was the Matrox Parhelia.

Lol just came across 2 opty 285's (which is the s2885 max CPU, at 2.6 at 4 cores.) not that ill chuck them in there, but nice to have just in case.. total price? 20 bucks US, free shipping. LOLs...

[​IMG]
    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Dual-Core Opteron 285 - OST285FAA6CB.html

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  10. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

My board actually comes with 2 x Opty 250's (and IMPORTANTLY, the heatsinks/fans, which are impossible to find separately) so I will be running just them, as they are plenty fast for the retro games ill be running.

Think NWN and Baldurs Gate, Interstate 76, and ofcourse , interplasys, Blood and Magic.

11. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

lol, newest addition to the setup is the..

[​IMG]
    :Dcard is from 2003, so about the right vintage for my setup.
    The X-fi, as included in the setup above, is a nice card, but the vintage is completely off and at least this has legacy support. Looks great too. :p

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  12. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Also bought a BFG 7800gs AGP card. Hope win98 drivers are easy enough to come by.

[​IMG]

Supposedly works perfect, but I'll be pulling the fan combo for a nice new NV5 rev 3 after cleaning the PCB up some. Just gotta find the cooler though, lots of rev 2's around, but no rev 3's..

Edit, stuff it, just bought a rev 2.

[​IMG]

13. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Hmm, have been dabbling a bit in VGA cards, yummie things that they are. soo much pixel goodness attached to them.

Kinda hoping that this will play "NWN"

[​IMG]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwinter_Nights

as this came out in 2002 and is the first and last game i ever built a purpose build box for. Though severely limited in funds at the time (due to being a starving student) and i remember pre-ordering it from Eb-games in Warringah mall. Was blown away at the time by the Aurora engine , and what it could do. No idea how many hours i stuck into that game, but i know my at the time GF was super pissed. ;)

Another title that i am looking to play with this setup and hopefully my kids (Indy) might wanna have a go too is this Blizzard title. Released to the masses in July 2003,

[​IMG]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warcraft_III:_Reign_of_Chaos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and of course its official expansion "Frozen Throne".

Holding both CD cases in my hands, and pretty annoyed at Blizzard for having to re-purchase the game to play on the modern platforms, same as the Original Diablo and Diablo 2 and its expansions.

[​IMG]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_(video_game)

[​IMG]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_II

Which is more time period correct for this build as it came out in 2000.

and then of course we have the other main Bioware titles. The ones that to this day still set the RPG gold standard.

[​IMG]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur's_Gate

Loved this title so much, I bought the expansions, and of course all the other Infinity engine games, but never finished any of them. Which required a big shoutout to Interplay, going back as far as "Blood and Magic", one of the old DOS games that i will be looking to revisit. (that last one i did actually finish :)

Another thing that must be said is the old box art and the stuff that came with games from back then. I remember buying and reading the complete novel to Curse of the Azure Bonds, and then playing the gold box AD&D games, though not period correct, hopefully this will play the old dos games.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also own PC boxed versions of Pools, but due to timing issues, never really got into it.

[​IMG]
    Might be worth a re-visit..

Other titles that I own in old box style and ill be looking to play:

Starcraft (original)
    Dungeon Siege
    Interstate 76
    Quake 3
    Fallout

More to be added as i go through my collection of stuff and crap..

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    DonutKing likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Have zero idea what sort of PC case ill use for this yet, any suggestions guys? Id love to find an old BeBox, but then i don't think id be gutting that puppy to house this, considering how much they go for these days..

15. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

So I've been buying a bunch of video cards, so i have a choice of what to use for my old skool setup, but lol pretty much anything later than the X850 pro doesn't have drivers for 98. only XP and onwards. which sucks. lol
    So ill probably just use the x850 for the project. i have a SGI 1600SW for the display, which is rather age correct. I just hope that the adaptor card still works to go from DVI to LVDS. (actually Open-lvds)

Nifty adaptor card..

[​IMG]

The SGI 1600SW was made in 1998 and won a shit load of awards.

[paste:font size="5"]GFX-1600SW provides similar functionality to the SGI MultiLink Adapter - it converts DVI-Digital (DVI-D) and Digital Flat Panel (DFP) to the LVDS digital interface of an 1600SW. This is very, very cool! The card rests in a PCI slot on your PC or Mac (or other PCI-bus equipped machine) and draws its power from the bus to run the converter hardware. The converter does present itself as a PCI device on the bus and so requires no drivers. The converter is completely transparent to the host so should work with any host operating system on (FreeBSD, Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, etc) as long as the hosts graphics adapter and driver is capable of the appropriate display modes.

The adapter is developed by Dan Evanicky, who headed the engineering team responsible for the 1600SW, and Oscar Medina. The card is distributed as th GFX-1600SW by Sharper Technology.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  16. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Hmm so after finding my old Tyan dual p3 mobo, I am now wondering if I should be using this mobo for this retro build. (Assuming the thing posts ofcourse)

[​IMG]

Has 1 gig of ram in it.

[​IMG]

And then this mobo (which I quickly chucked in my suitcase along with a few video cards) with the 3dfx 5500...

Any idea guys?

So either the dual Opteron mobo (4 gigs of ram)

Or the than p3 mobo with 1 gig of ram?

That's ofcourse assuming I have a choice if both boards post.

AND I still have to find a case...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  17. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Updates...

P3 board works, not going to use it, the Tyan S2885 board is much much faster, and with Haiku (main OS on this build, ill need all the horses I can get) The P3 board has timing issues with haiku playing HD vid.

Btw, I am off until the 28, YAAAAYYY!!! its a big deal, my first Christmas off in 7 years.. Bloody slave drivers where I work :( So besides hanging out with the kids and drinking a lot of JD & Coke, ill be modding a case I have lying around for my Retro build.

The Tyan S2885 mobo has an Extended ATX footprint 13" x 12" and when I initially wanted to mount this puppy in my case, it just wouldn't fit, drive bays in the way.. so going to cut some stuff out of the case I think.. kinda a shame really as its actually a pretty cool case.

Ill be using the Audigy 2 card and hopefully the HD3850 thats coming in from Russia.. lol

Couple of 7200rpm hard drives and a TV in card (so I can connect my Wii)
    Ill be using an out of era Alienware Alpha r2 keyboard and mouse.

anyways, will see how far we get with trying to make the motherboard fit in the case. I initially wanted to go buy a new case for this, but then why spend more cash on it... The case I have has over 8 slots for drives.. I never use all of them, so ill take a squizz to see if I can mod it a bit.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    adz likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Tools of choice.. angle grinder and sand paper to smooth of sharp edges.

19. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great success!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    :D

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  20. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Love the kit :thumbup: I was a huge fan of those silencers way back when. Did a shitload of fittings for customers.
    Did a few builds with that same motherboard too.

Might just be the photo, but the string of caps between the 64b PCI slots appear domed?

Vanne likes this.