Old skool BeOS/Win 98/XP retro box

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by Vanne, Jul 19, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

[QUOTE="Aetherone, post: 18077647, member: 8112"

Might just be the photo, but the string of caps between the 64b PCI slots appear domed?[/QUOTE]

Yep, they are. slightly.. will probably need to recap them sometime, but in the mean time, board is working perfectly.. maybe because I don't have any PCI/PCI-X cand in those slots? I haven't done any re-capping before.. trying to put it off as long as possible... :/

2. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aydigy2 Card and DVD drive hooked up.:)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    adz likes this.
  3. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

If those ones are gone, it's likely everything else is well on its way. Personally, I'd give it a preventative capping as you never know what downstream component is getting cooked by a dying & out-of-spec cap but while you wait for the perfect running to get imperfect, I'd start practicing on less important boards!
    A quality server board like this more than likely has a decent ground plane inside so desoldering will be tricky (the decent ground plane sucks the heat away) without a moderately beefy iron (>40w).

4. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

When you say everything?? you mean all the caps on the board? Holy cows if that's the case.. *sniff*

5. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Well, yeah pretty much. The teeny small caps usually don't give any issues but typically all the caps on a board are all the same age with the same power on hours and often from the same suspect or outright dodgy sources.
    Plus your board dates from the middle of the cap plague so they're all suspects until proven innocent :upset:
    Caps that smoke and/or explode are the hardest to ignore, others that quietly bulge and vent easier but its the silent ones that are most deadly.

6. rugger

rugger Member

Only the large electrolytic capacitors need replacing. The small ones are not likely to cause any problems.

it is a pain, but well worth it, taking a motherboard like this:
    IMG_2710.jpg

To this:
    IMG_2752.JPG

Adding many years of life to a motherboard.

You want to change the caps before one of them shorts out a VRM or overvolts some other vital component.

Note: I did the above with only a 60W soldering station and some solder wick. it is a pain in the neck, but practice makes perfect (try working on some junk board before you tackle the precious dual P3 board)

adz and Vanne like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Ok, where do I get those solid caps? Nice job on that board.. :)

Edit: p3 board is fine, has no buldging caps. This board is my dual socket opty Tyan s2885.

8. rugger

rugger Member

Ah, you can get the nice polymer capacitors from rsonline. Not cheap at all, so I only use them in places where electrolytic are not produced anymore. (eg, the ones on my board were originally 3300uF 6.3V motherboard grade capacitors, but good ones of those are not made anymore, only fakes or poor quality versions) For CPU VRMs, you typically need to match ESR more than capacity, so you can use polymer capacitors of approx half the capacity but close ESR capacity without much issue. Other capacitors on the board, I'd be more wary of changing capacitor type, others have done it with success, but I feel it adds unnecessary risk when good quality electrolytic capacitors will do the job in the other locations.

On your board, the bad capacitors look like the less critical filter caps. if you look up the specs of the original bulged capacitors, it is likely you could use Panasonic FM based capacitors instead based on the original's capacity, voltage and ESR specifications. I would change all these filter caps by the same brand, even if they haven't bulged yet. The capacitors on the CPU VRMs though look like they are different and I don't think they need replacement.

9. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

So for when I start the re-cap project, bought a replacement board (with NO bulging Capps) to avoid downtime on my other board.

[​IMG]

Comes with the SB0360 and a USB2 card (always handy)

One question, anyone have a clue why there is a power lead attached to the Audigy2 card?

10. rugger

rugger Member

The power cord is for the firewire ports. Firewire can deliver more power than you can safely pull from the PCI slot.

MUTMAN and Vanne like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Ahh okay, I'll discard that then. No FireWire required on my box, the mobo already has 2.

12. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

received my replacement / additional motherboard yesterday. Board looks good upon initial inspection (no bulging caps) as does the Audigy2 SB0360 card. However upon installing it and trying to get it to post was not fun, no post until i reset the bios upon which it finally decided to boot. Phew... was pretty worried there for a sec. Original build date bios installed. :/

Something weird with the hyperlinks on this board/bios, one set at 800, the other on auto and won't boot unless its set like this. If i change both to Auto, there is no post. Thats either a CPU or a board issue.. haiku won't boot either... :(

so i flashed the latest bios onto the board, and now runs both at auto at the correct frequency for these cpu's AND it now boots BeOS without hassle. So maybe the original bios was off? no idea but its working perfectly now. :D

YAY!!!!

Ill be installing the 2 285's onto this mob, just for a bit of extra oomph, and better yet these cpu's are 68 what instead of 95... now thats nice :D

EDIT: Also received the HD3850.... LOL ITS BRAND SPANKER!!!! and its the last of the 3850's, the one with the late power sockets on it, not the normal molex sockets. so pretty darn happy with that...

haven't tested that puppy yet, but i will when i get back from perth.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  13. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

I replaced the Nvidia 6600 128mb card I had in this box as it didn't play nice with some of the higher resolutions. (not the cards fault, just a chip limitation) Initially I replaced it with a 7900 GT AGP card, but it wouldn't boot, so probably that card is toast. :( Have to look into it further. Ive got a 256mb 6800, but also doesn't play nice with resolutions. (firkin vesa driver in Haiku :(

So replaced it with a x850xt 256mb that I lol bought initially for this setup.. works like a charm, but needs a good clean.. might do that today, and has this crappy metal guard over it.. NFI what for.. prob needs to be re-greased anyhows. Might sit down and have a good look at what the best cpu for this puppy would be.

I did test that spanking HD3850 (512mb), but feel like its a waste running that in this Haiku mostly only box as it will be wasting away as Haiku has no freaking 2d or fucking 3d acceleration.. and its such a nice card... (most protect it!!! :)

ill have a look what else I can find that will go nicely in this box...

14. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Bought 2 opteron 254's , one off the fastest supported single cores for this board, the fastest is 256 3 GHz, but they are unobtainium. I also have the 2 dual core 285's, but I kinda feel that's cheating.
    I have some other opty's lying around, but only the 248 and 250s.

I also have to sort another video card as the Rez limitation on the x850 is getting to me.

Bought a used 4670 1gb and another 3850 512mb, might see what one works better with this board.

15. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

The x1950 pro is also interesting.. hmm got knocked back on the x1950 pro, but the used 3850 512mb agp card came through. Pretty expensive now, they were like 50 bucks a year ago, now dubbled in price. :/

This one is used, so I won't mind as much running it in this box

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  16. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

Installed the 2 X 2.8ghz single cores into the box yesterday. Works like a treat.

17. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

[​IMG]

2nd used 3850 turned up for duty in this box. :D this might need a cleanup first though. Little bit annoyed at the poster, as they didn't declare the value of the card they hit me up for 25US import duty. At freaking 5 % vat, I guess they think this this is worth 500 bucks.. wtf!!! Awell that's living in the pit for you, and you can't argue with anyone here.. bastards..

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019