1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Old software remembered affectionately

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Pepito, Jul 21, 2017.

1. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Oz.Org you heathen.

Remember when Windows had to reboot to change IP addresses. and TCP/IP was an optional installation (That would regularly fuck itself and need to be reinstalled).

I was expecting your Lan Parties link to be this one

[​IMG]

2. OP
    OP
    Pepito

Pepito Member

It gets better than that.

The software has an "Administration Centre" which must continually run and whose only purpose is to move data back and forth (or "integrate") between the various pieces of re-badged packages (see below)

https://i.imgur.com/Uj0jKBr.png

Every now and then of course this stuffs up and data goes out of sync between the different parts of MYOB Practice Manager and either the server needs to be rebooted or those services shown are stopped and started.

People put up with it because I believe it's the only reasonably priced practice manager software for small accounting firms.

==

3. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I'm chuckling at the mention of Viztopia within that pic, since it is a redundant software/name since it's now AE Practice Manager iirc. But that's MYOB for ya :lol:

It's like their various version of MYOB Acccounting...Retail Manager as an example doesn't even communicate or be opened by Accounting Plus/Premier...though i think they've moved beyond that now as they're going internet based/cloud.

You're right re cost, and the issue is most firms are firmly within the MYOB ecosystem. I haven't been in public practice for a about 3 years now but last i remembered CCH were coming out with their own suite that looked promising. We used to use CaseWare Working Papers for financial reporting/workpapers too and i found that infinitely better than MYOB AE Tax. Not sure if Xero were moving into that field either? Though Xero is pretty great software from a business' perspective but the amount of option add-on subscriptions is it's downfall imo, too many and too confusing. The base software is great.

4. OP
    OP
    Pepito

Pepito Member

It gets better.

The main data folder of the software is CEEDATA :)

==

5. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Alley cat, and the first Kings Quest. That 1-bit pc speaker magic.
    And, star control 1 & 2 when they came out, and somehow managed to play proper music on the pc speaker - blew my head off.

EDIT: Sorry just noticed this is "Business & Enterprise Computing".
    Pretty sure my copy of Alley Cat came with an awesome virus though.

6. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

One of my eyes started twitching involuntarily as I read this. So many bad experiences that drove me right into the arms of open source.

7. Draxx

Draxx Member

PowerQuest Partition Magic and PQBoot :)

8. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Trumpet tcp/ip socket software.

9. jpw007

jpw007 Member

My heart can only handle so much pain :lol:

10. RaZ

RaZ Member

Xtree Gold was awesome - used to use it all the time back then.
    Lotus 123 :shock: how dare you bring back memories like that! Thats like saying Quicken right after it :thumbup::)

11. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

i needed to use that the other day but no worky on win7.

i had to use easeus partition master instead which apart from the installer being scooped up by SEP as a virus, worked just as well as partition magic.

i miss ghost too.

i still have a working copy of it on a bootable thumbdrive.
    can do local to local or to a server but i don't often find the need to use it now.
    in fact, the last time i used it was a couple of years ago to clone the boot drive in my HP microserver from 320gb hdd down to a 120gb SSD.

i think ghost is still one of the few cloning apps that will let you clone to a smaller size target.

12. cvidler

cvidler Member

Norton Utilities before Peter Norton was bought out by Symantec, and we all know Symantec.

They used to follow the *nix like philosophy, one tool one job done well. Symantec went full bloat-tard.

Never go full bloat-tard.

13. cam99

cam99 Member

Laplink
    You could copy a whole PC through a serial cable.

There was a tool in Dos that did it as well.
    Just 2 boot disks and an executable on each end.
    One server one client and that was it.

14. cam99

cam99 Member

Also

deltree

you could save some time / or do some damage with that one

15. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Oh yeh I remember that. And the serial cable was also known as a laplink cable too. :D:thumbup:

16. RaZ

RaZ Member

was faster using the LPT port tho ;) I remember making up my own cable for that and batch files so I could cart my Amstrad about in my back up with power cable and LPT cable - hook up and copy stuff form the other PC with it ;) ah the hours spent copying the games and setting it up before we could use the laplink to game :D

17. shredder

shredder Member

The "Night Owl" series of CDROM shareware collections.

Back in the 90s, local BBS sysops would make these available on their bulletin boards. In the pre-web days these were literally your online software repository - 600MB of zipped shareware broken into various categories. Occasionally the sysop would buy a new disc and it would be like christmas, to be able to browse and download from this new treasure trove - e.g. pulling down scene demos through the 2400-14400 baud dialup, a few MB in a couple of hours.

18. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Oh yeh parallel port was better for file transfer, but you still need the serial cable to game. :D :lol:

19. RaZ

RaZ Member

I remember some like doom having LPT port connections as an option.

This thread has me remembering all sorts of old apps and games I used to play. All the things I used to do with batch files etc. Dont mind powershell these days because of it :)

20. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Has anyone had a wordstar vs wordperfect argument yet?

That was as if the former was written for BASH users and the latter for GUI users... :lol: