1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Oldest HDD you have

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Mjollnir, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Mjollnir

Mjollnir Member

Hello,

Just wondering how often everyone turns over their HDDs? I have around 70TBs which I am gradually turning over HDDs to large size ones, averaging around 5 years.

Recently replaced my torrent drive - 1TB WD Black from April 2009 to a SSD, this drive has lasted 10 years and has zero error sectors or re-allocation and is pretty much thrashed daily with torrents and Usenet unraring

https://imgur.com/ke9Qj2B

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  2. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

For anything important < 5 years (generally spot on 4, failing that just before 5), and that's enterprise class storage.

For anything I couldn't care about like the shed media player, not until it starts dying.

I just spent > 6k replacing personal drives alone. Not real happy about it, but the peace of mind is worth it. I do have on and off site redundancy though.

I use a priority based hand me down system when upgrading so everyone gets a shuffle. I've still got heaps from 2013, several from 2011 and a few from 2009 (that I know of) in use, just not for anything critical.

So dad just took a bunch of 2TB RE4 from 2013 and the wife's HTPC just received a bunch of 4TB Black and a 6TH HGST, ranging from 2018 back to 2013.

3. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Ironically, the oldest storage device I have in regular use is the Linux boot SSD I use for the HDD testing station: A first gen OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD. Can't believe it hasn't randomly shit itself cos the wind blew in the wrong direction yet.

4. phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

oldest I had up until a few weeks ago was a 1.5tb WD from 2011, Windows finally started to get cranky and take an hour to boot, still had enough life left in it do clone the partition to a new SSD
    I do backups semi regularly so not too fussed if one dies

5. genxor

genxor Member

I go by the hours in the SMART info and they seem to start getting pretty sad around 50k hours (seagates) but I have a 2tb at 62k that refuses to die. Got a super old SSD from probably 2010 in an old laptop which is still chugging along. I reckon about 40,000hrs is safe. An easy thing to google but I am lazy

Oldest as in age is probably like 40-200mb drives

6. Perko

Perko Member

Your Imgur link is busted, but I have a bunch of those drives, and the only one that's got any signs of wear has 80k hours on it.
    Oldest working drive in my house at the moment is an 80GB WD Caviar from about 2004-5 I think.

7. DarthWindu

DarthWindu Member

6x 4tb Hitachi Deskstar HIHDIS34, running a fairly passive/light-use 24/7 for more than 7 years (2012) in a QNAP NAS (62500 hours). No problems so far (touch wood, really should do a backup etc).

Prior to that, 4x 1tb WD Greens in a similar system, running with no errors from 2007 to 2012.

8. ShaggyMoose

ShaggyMoose Member

I still have a 5.4GB Quantum Fireball in my desk drawer... Oldest in use though is a 300GB WD.

9. Skitza

Skitza Member

I still have a working 4gig Quantum Bigfoot ;)

10. OP
    OP
    Mjollnir

Mjollnir Member

https://imgur.com/ke9Qj2B

Fixed the image, mine only has around 48k. Guess I will thrash it for a bit longer.

Perko likes this.
  11. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I don't worry about age, only SMART stats. Everything's redundant on next gen filesystems with RAID and snapshots, and important stuff is backed up to physically separate systems.

12. Perko

Perko Member

Nice, yeah mine are all FAEX, but they're all from the same period I think.
    So RAID is a backup?

13. elvis

You know I didn't say that.

Next gen, RAID, snapshots, backup. All separate things. All mandatory in 2019.

Perko likes this.
  14. Perko

Perko Member

[Madmaxthatsbait.jpg]

I have snapshots, cloud and offline backup at the moment, but I've been dragging my feet on a decent zfs/btrfs setup. Probably should get onto it at some point.

elvis likes this.
  15. elvis

Definitely recommended. I'm always amazed how many home setups and /r/datahoarders regulars are pushing 100TB and don't have a regularly scrubbed, next gen file system underneath them.

I've seen too many instances of corrupt data discovered way too late to trust anything less.

Perko likes this.
  16. l_ QuadX_l

l_ QuadX_l Member

Not sure how far this thread goes back hardware wise, or if it includes consoles? I have two original/factory HDD's in my original Xbox's. 8gb PATA HDD's still going strong, been meaning for years to upgrade them to something better. But since I bought an Xbox One, they've been left in the corner and ignored even though their HDD's are full of sweet oldschool games. :leet:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  17. Sankari

Sankari Member

80GB Seagate Barracuda from the days when I was using Windows XP.

It's used regularly, and still going strong!

18. tensop

tensop Member

severely dissapointed in you. you forgot ECC.

19. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

oldest hdd i have is 2005 seagate. i dont use it, i transferred ins contents to a new hdd. the 2005 drive is showing up as unhealthy. but it works.

20. kramer7

kramer7 Member

Still have a functional Quantum Big Foot, 5 1/4 9gb from 1999...