Oldest production hardware

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Gecko, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Gecko

Gecko Member

Spent yesterday afternoon decommissioning an old P3 800MHz that was running our fax->email system (moved it to a shiny new server) and realised how old some of the gear we have in prod is.

So, what is the oldest PRODUCTION (not test, not spare etc) kit that you have?

For us, I think it would be a couple of HP P3 1.4Ghz servers that have been working perfectly for years (scheduled for upgrade in the next few months - finally managed to convince those who hold the chequebook that gear really should be upgraded from time to time...) - I'm sure plenty of you can beat that

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Up until 2 months back it was three 10 year old HPUX PA-RISC machines. But thankfully that got decommissioned.

Usual story: management bitched at the support costs. We'd try to decommission them, users would bitch to management, management would bitch to us that we were annoying users. Round and round in circles, until finally we had one manager with the balls to say "enough is enough" and get rid of them.

When you're paying over $10k per month per server just on hardware support, you have to wonder what sort of kit that could buy you to replace it. :)

On a few small business client sites there are still mail relays I've built running on Celeron 800's from eons ago. They don't ever seem to die (or get removed, despite constant advice to do so).

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  3. Camm

Camm Member

I have a 2x DP P3 Xeons with 1GB ram running a imap mail server on an ancient version of Red Hat.

It works, doesn't fall over, and just keeps soldiering on so I haven't seen the need to upgrade it (its a small company of 25 or so employees anyway).

Best part is as older servers have been decommissioned, I have an ass ton of spare parts (hence the 1GB of RAM... started with 512MB) that I have an extra 2 of these that I keep flashed with current config (not often that I need to as updates are a bit slower, nothing generally needs tweaking and storage sits on the EVA) so at worst I can be back up and running in 20 minutes.

4. dead_man

dead_man Member

ripping a dual 550mhz machine out of the rack later today that was acting as our proxy server.

5. Ashpool

Ashpool Member

I was gonna say exactly that. We had a nice old clunker a HP 9000
    [​IMG]

That was our main billing software...we had no documentation, and were paying some company an ungodly amount for hardware/database support.

6. Skitza

Skitza Member

Stopped using an IBM Netfinity 5000 box for DNS last year. P3 500 with 512ram haha. Solid box though. <3 IBM.

7. Gumby

Gumby Member

I have an IBM netfinity at a branch office running apache for our intranet. Pentium 2 400Mhz with 128MB of ram. :)

No idea what year it was purchased.

I do give it tender loving care with it's updates. Currently running CentOS 5.5

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  8. FaTs

FaTs Member

I take it your replacing all this old gear with VMs?

9. cvidler

cvidler Member

All young crap....

A client I work with still runs an old IBM 4700 series system ('70s sometime) that boots from 8" floppies.

10. Ashpool

Ashpool Member

Look into VM'ing the Hp box but its risc architecture... so at the time there was no viable option.

wow that would suck...how long does magnetic media last anyway?

11. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

i have an instrument that runs from an old 486.

12. Brett

Brett Member

SGI Octane

13. wellonchompy

wellonchompy Member

My last employer had a 486 box running Debian as a print server, that was pretty old.

I used to do midrange support, and encountered a number of 20-year-old IBM AIX boxes. RS/6000 branding, MCA buses, IBM 3480 tape drives, joyous! Needless to say, I'd rather some of them stay in production than some of the crap that passes for "enterprise" in the current market.

14. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Previous company i worked for had a 386 running a plasma cutter. Worked well and nothing wrong with it!

Currently we have a fair few p1's running telemetry for weather stations and also seismic activity.

All work perfectly! :thumbup:

15. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

Last year we finally we able to decommisson some old WANG equipment.

I think it was quite old, the workstation was running Windows 3.1 and the server im unsure, some unix base i think

Very old equipment indeed.

16. cvidler

cvidler Member

Too right, not everything needs the latest and greatest to run. For many (most in manufacturing/industrial environments etc.) tasks, a simple reliable bit of hardware and a lightweight operating system is all that's needed.

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

as opposed to the gamers and benchers amongst us
    "if it ain't on fire, it ain't fast enough"

17. Dragon_191

Dragon_191 Member

We recently decommissioned 13x NCR 3445 Unix servers that were in production for 17 years.

18. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

QFT.

Really glad to see old hardware getting used. It's ridiculous to throw out something just because it's not the new thing anymore, if it's working just fine.

19. Primüs

Primüs Member

Our office has an abacus for general use :thumbup:

In 'production' (at home being used for webserver) i have a dual 933 with 512 ram. Its a huge 4RU server that i havent got rid of yet, it runs my apache and MySQL find on CentOS.

20. newgen

newgen Member

It's not always that black and white in a business environment though. Hardware support and maintenance which affects SLA's would need to be factored in. Sure a lot of businesses have a little old box which just happily chugs away in some corner doing what it's been doing for the past 5-10 years, but from my experience, a lot of techs who inherit these systems don't know enough about them and tend to have an out of sight out of mind mentality.