OLED's OLED's OLED's!

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by aokman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. aokman

aokman Member

Hey All,

Just thought I would start a thread to get everyones opinions of how the OLED industry are progressing... Share some good deal, prices etc. For example I just managed to pickup my Panasonic 55" OLED for $2120 delivered to my door.

I currently have the LG B6 65" and it has been an almost perfect unit, just thought I would summarise my results so far:

+ Fantastic black levels as expected
    + Brightness is more than enough for HDR
    + Love the air mouse and menu system integrating apps and inputs together (slick interface)
    + LG support has been fantastic with updates, coming in quite often and addressing many new features
    + No signs of image burn in even after leaving it on a Windows desktop for 1.5days by accident
    - Image retention on grey backgrounds after very short periods of time (10sec) (disappears quickly though)
    - Some slight colour shift off centre viewing

So on to the next, my new Panasonic HZ 950U just arrived and its yet another step up and blown me away, this one is a 55". Summary of my results

+ Fantastic black levels (can't get any better)
    + Zero ghosting or slight image retention on grey backgrounds
    + Motion smoothing is far more natural and far superior to other brands
    + Even more brightness for HDR, sun rays are almost blinding!
    + Controller feels premium, cold and metal (I thought 2 remotes were included but I guess not LOL?)
    + The base stand is plain but it is a solid steel plate weighting almost 10KG, lovely build quality
    + 4 HDMI inputs (2 x 4:2:0 | 2 x 4:2:2) + Component input + Digital Output
    + Ability to pin / add network shares directly to the menu along with apps, HDMI inputs etc
    - Menu systems look outdated by a couple of generations but everything is still there and more
    - Thanks to the mammoth metal stand, it weights in around 36KG just for the 55"

To be fair, I did consider Sony but their tilting back stand for the TV is a horrible design for me as my 55" Sits on a Sonos Playbase Soundbar (sounds amazing) so it would never fit.

I will be calibrating both panels with my i1 pro 2 spectrometer once the Panasonic panel is bedded in properly :)

frnak likes this.
  2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Currently have the LG 65" (OLED65C7T) as my main tv and some shitty tv in the bedroom. The oled is awesome so looking to replace the shitty bedroom tv with a 55" oled, probably the B7 from last year. Trying to source it at under 2K but find it problematic because the new C8 is out now.

Loving oled though :thumbup:

3. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

4. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I still have my 55" B6 from 2016 - a refurb which I got back in 2016. Been an amazing purchase.

Trying to wait out for next level changes in tech to get a bigger one because from what I see, the panels havent changed all that much from the last 3 iterations and I hear itll change next year.

I saw that the 77" are going for $5KUS now which would be amazing if we could get it somewhere near that in Australia.

5. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

There have been some major changes under the hood. Compared to my B6, the Panasonic is far superior, right side banding is gone and no image retention :) runs a lot cooler also.

6. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Surely thats hyperbole. Far superior? :p

Nothing I've ever owned has come close to the OLED in capability or beauty. I don't have right side banding (or at least I believe I dont) and I dont have any burn in in that time. Statistically, I do see there is some increase but they generally seem to be mild changes.

7. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Got the 55fz recently... Oled is beautiful... You cannot get blacker blacks. . .I only watch at night so it's plenty bright for me... Should be good till samsung perfect real qleds.. Even though os is a bit dated . Its actually quite snappy and fast so I don't mind it at all

Overseas gets 2 models .. The other remote is useless by all reports.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  8. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

I wouldn't call a 30% increase in light output along with other improvements a mild change but thats just me. The banding is very hard to see on the previous gen OLEDs but generally happens around 10-20% gradient where the right side of the panel will fade darker than the left. Don't go looking for it as once its seen, it cannot be unseen haha.

By saying far superior, I am referring to the Panasonic resolving all the shortcomings of the previous gen LG's with no compromises :)

9. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I clicked on this thread purely to see just what belongs to these three OLEDs mentioned in the thread title ;)

The Sony A1 you're referring to also comes as the A8F model, which is the same panel, but with a traditional upright stand. I personally prefer the A1's "easel" stand configuration, which I got my parents to buy for themselves, and I set it up and calibrated it for them. Easily the best TV I've seen or used, the image processing in the Sony is superior to anything else.

I realise you say it won't suit your sound bar configuration, but the design actually works a treat in providing a monolithic screen effect with no visible speakers or stand, and the tilt literally becomes unnoticeable within days. You could have ditched your sound bar and used the built-in speaker/sub-woofer combo of the A1 (which is actually great), or if the you felt the sub was underpowered you could plug in a separate sub to provide that extra bit of bass.

I really wonder as to what people must be used to in terms of brightness, because the OLEDs from the last couple of years that I've personally seen are plenty bright. Maybe LCD/LEDs have conditioned people into thinking that staring into a bright light source is the norm?

Anyway, you sound very pleased with your purchase, that's the main thing, and you've made the right choice in getting another OLED. Enjoy!

Dav1th likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

I am not sure about that one, the Sony didn't really impress me with sound quality and the Sonos Playbase sounds unreal for its size and the bass is fantastic :)

To be honest even the B6 was bright enough for me but the panels do need to get brighter to meet the HDR specifications.

It's great to see that OLED has basically reached the point now of no compromises. Only thing I would like to see is some smaller panel sizes. 55" is probably a bit much for the bedroom but I just couldn't go back to a traditional LCD again.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  11. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I haven't heard the Sonos, so I can't argue with that. But for anyone else considering it, don't dismiss the sound quality of the A1/A8F (both have much the same 5x10W+sub config). The screen-as-a-speaker design provides extremely crisp, clear audio (especially if you tweak the EQ), with the only thing which you may find lacking being the power in the built-in subwoofer - so you can plug in your own. Check out a range of reviews and they note good audio as being a plus for these models. The end result is you have a screen with no visible support or speakers to distract from the image, directing sound at you straight from the screen, with reasonable channel separation. No competition for a proper speaker setup, but better than most soundbars I've heard, leaving you more money to spend on the TV.

The Sony A1 and A8F 55" models are noticeably pricier than your Panasonic though, between $2,500-$3,000, so you got a good deal at $2,120. Since all three (LG, Sony and Panasonic) share LG OLED panels, there's not going to be a huge difference in image quality.

It's hard to beat OLED, especially in low light conditions. I've already gone on about this at length in the other threads we had about LED vs OLED, but it's eerie watching a movie in the dark and seeing black bars and night scenes totally blend into the surrounding darkness of the room. I recently got an OLED iPhone and it too is weird to use in the dark when primarily black screens appear.

This image I've posted before highlights the significant difference between OLED (left) and LED (right) in a dark viewing environment:

vXdREsx.jpg

12. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

I believe the latest Sony don't have no more sub output. I just got whatever was the cheapest and pana is currently cheapest. Using a sonos beam with mine..very happy with it..

13. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

The Sonos playbase is at a different level and costs a fair bit unfortunately but I don't regret it at all for how clean it is, has 10 amplifiers, 6 midrange drivers, 3 tweeters and a subwoofer, its much bigger than a conventional sound bar.

I did like the sound field on the Sony though :)

14. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Any chance we will see sub $8K 77" here in AU this year? That would be the kicker to get me to replace my main loungeroom TV.

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'd say doubtful given there's not much of the year left.

16. csimpson

csimpson Member

The 55" FZ950U sits at around $2K - this one is $2016 with the 20% off PODCAST code until 22/10. I'm really, really tempted to replace my by-now-quite-aged LG 55" EC930T from 2015.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Pansonic oled's any good? LG oleds seem to be in flavour these days.

18. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

The pana os isnt as good.. But pq and processing is better.

19. neRok

neRok Member

Has anyone gone from the last of the Panasonic plasmas (ie VT60) to one of these newer OLED's? Is it much better?

nico6 likes this.
  20. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

I still use st60... For sd .. The st is only slightly better... For hd.. The fz is alot better.. Cant get better than perfect blacks.... For 4k and hdr... Frikin amazing....

Plus the OS is quite snappy even though it's not as flashy as the lg ... But im quite happy with the speed of netflix and YouTube apps.