OLED's OLED's OLED's!

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by aokman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

hes asking about an 2018 oled vs a 2021 lcd
    microled isnt an option here right now
    :confused::confused:

2. connico

connico Member

Might of miss read but he was asking if its worth spending big on oled... Since OLED has seemed to have matured and the technology was stagnating. (which it is)....

You counted by saying look back a few posts etc, and that OLED development is continuing... which it really isnt. Yields arn't getting better... and processessing for oled is kinda at there peek...

If you want to spend big, wait till last quarter and see what comes out from samsung for home... if no delays people may be surprised lol

3. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Far far brighter is another big one.. Higher colour gamut..

How are the blacks better though?

BuD likes this.
  4. BuD

BuD Member

as long as its not MORE expensive and preferable cheaper than current oled

5. BuD

BuD Member

honestly not sure i want a brighter TV i can already burn a hole in my retinas in dolby vision with the oled lol

6. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Dunno if I believe that, I see LCD burn in all the time...

7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

so your saying gen 2 oled is dead on arrival against an unreleased tech ?

it wont be cheaper on launch

8. rockofclay

rockofclay Member

The blacks should be the same as OLED no?

Also due to aging LEDs it's not a "zero" chance of burn in, just less. Not that it's a problem to begin with.

9. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Gen1 OLEDs don't get very bright especially if is lots of brightness across screen. ABL has probly saved your eyes alot!

BuD likes this.
  10. pezzy

pezzy Member

appreciate the replies mutman and connico.

my concern about spending big on oled now did stem from the idea of microled being the next evolution. but i kinda need a tv now (or very soon) so future tech is not my main focus.

i've been watching quantumtv's vids today and i am much warmer towards the a8h, or possibly the older panasonic option. it seems the x95h isn't very nice out of the box and needs calibration. even has that washed out look i dislike so much with led tvs.

11. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

It seriously doesn’t get much better than the latest OLEDs lol. Just get one and enjoy the purchase :)

MUTMAN likes this.
  12. connico

connico Member

Yeah basically. OLED has a limitation in size and brightness against MicroLED. LG will still continue to roll it out till OLED becomes the norm. But development has basically stopped.

Faster more responsive blacks...

Zero chance because they are using 1/4 of the brightness, burn in wont be possible because they arnt using the full brightness of the LEDs.

This also means that microLED panels will last for a very very very very very long time...with the same performance.

Problem will be dead pixels from gen 1 microleds but these can be resolved by replacing panels instead of whole TVs. Panels will self adjust brightness and colour if replaced so no issues with changes across new and old panels.

13. BuD

BuD Member

14. nico6

nico6 Member

If this is true there will be no upside for manufacturers' economics in the long term unless they are expensive.

If their release drives OLED prices down, that's great, as that's all I'll ever need (eyes getting older, and OLED is great and all I will ever need)

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah I wouldn't be scared off with new tech superseeding oled. Oled tv's are fantastic and you will always enjoy the great quality.

aokman likes this.
  16. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I'm going to need help with this. How do you get "blacker blacks" than 0 nits/lux?

Ok well that's not "blacker", and again how are we measuring this "faster" premise?

I'm not disagreeing with you here. I just want to know hard numbers, not marketing nonsense.

It's a technical forum. Let's get technical.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    pH@tTm@N, ArmoureD and MUTMAN like this.
  17. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

I don’t understand how it can get any better than max brightness these days, everything else is pretty much perfect now... That said the brightness is fine and just specification obsession...

I wouldn’t trade my 2016 OLED in for anything on the market currently other than a new OLED and even that is hard to justify cost wise... it’s pretty much a perfect display.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    BuD and MR CHILLED like this.
  18. BuD

BuD Member

Yes my only reason to look at upgrading right now would be 77 inch size but price isn't good so that's in the back burner for probably years yet

19. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

2016 was the last meaningful change in OLED quality. So that makes sense. I went from B6 to a C9 after deciding to pass on the CX and I honestly cant say my experience is better in watching. Just a small peripheral change in Auto Switching and the 120Hz for new Series X(even thats barely meaningful in TV gaming).

20. BuD

BuD Member

honestly 60 hz better quality rendering is better than running lower res to get 120 on games atm with series x and my c9 does that fine